Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing/hub maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 02:40 PM
syzygy333
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel bearing/hub maintenance

Does anyone perform bearing/hub maint.? greasing bearings etc.
This is always an area I pay attention to on other cars.

High performance car out of the box, and a lot of people track them.
Just curious.
I have a coin I use for tossing to help with decisions.
One side reads: "preventive medicine is the best medicine"
The other side? "if it isn't broke, don't fix it"
Old 09-03-2016, 03:36 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Wheel bearings are sealed. I would say they are not a user serviceable part. They can only be replaced. And, it's a PITA to reomve them. You need special tools and a press. It is possible on some variants to get bearings off without removing the wheel carrier, but in my experience, it's way easier to take the carrier off and use a 12/20-ton shop press. In terms of special tools for the suspension parts, I use a couple flare nut wrenches and flare nut crows feet, ratcheting box ends and a giant torque wrench to get the axle nut torqued down. For the bearing, you need a few adapters for pressing the hub and bearing out and some sort of jig or horseshoe to get things level on the press. Also need a 2-jaw puller or a dremel tool to get the bearing off the hub. Note, that when you remove the hub, the bearing comes apart - with half remaining on the hub. So that needs to be pulled off separately. AND, if you forget to install the bearing plate before you reassemble, you'll ruin the bearing getting the hub off. That is, every time you take the hub off, you need a new bearing. Do be sure you get it all together right the first time.

Personally, I wouldn't replace a wheel bearing until it starts to fail. And I don't actually believe they are a wear part on the Porsche recommended service bulletins.

In terms of cost, bearings are like 90 bucks. Hubs are around $250. Wheel carrier might be $500 or $1500, depending on your car model. You'll need new caliper bolts and a new wheel axle nut as well. Those are like 5 bucks each. If you take it to a mechanic, it'll be a couple hours labor per corner. And then possibly an alignment.

-td

Last edited by himself; 09-03-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:26 PM
syzygy333
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks td! I was just wondering, nothing wrong w/my bearings thankfully. these aren't my father's bearings. I've changed/greezed a few in my years, but the Porsche is a different animal.

I believe the coin landed on the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" side

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing/hub maintenance