Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 on 303
Old 09-06-2016, 11:46 PM
westgate997
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceter
I'll throw this out into the ring and you can take it or leave it... .

For vinyl, I have found that rubbing baby oil on the surface, letting it sit overnight and then wiping off thoroughly, keeps the material soft, pliable and crack free forever. If you can tolerate the smell (there may be unscented baby oil, I don't know), this method is inexpensive and works better than any expensive vinyl "conditioner" or "protectant" that I have ever tried.

I learned this trick from an old fellow I knew many years ago who had a late sixties Lincoln Continental. The vinyl parts in his car (dash, console, door panels, etc.) were not only perfect, but still as soft as the day the car rolled off of the assembly line. He told me his secret and I started doing it myself on my own cars.

I brought more than one dried-out, crispy dash back from the dead that way. I still use it on my '67 Mustang and my old trucks and it still works. I really only smell the baby oil for a day or two after application.
Thank you!
Old 09-10-2016, 11:43 AM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
I'll throw this out into the ring and you can take it or leave it... .

For vinyl, I have found that rubbing baby oil on the surface, letting it sit overnight and then wiping off thoroughly, keeps the material soft, pliable and crack free forever. If you can tolerate the smell (there may be unscented baby oil, I don't know), this method is inexpensive and works better than any expensive vinyl "conditioner" or "protectant" that I have ever tried.

I learned this trick from an old fellow I knew many years ago who had a late sixties Lincoln Continental. The vinyl parts in his car (dash, console, door panels, etc.) were not only perfect, but still as soft as the day the car rolled off of the assembly line. He told me his secret and I started doing it myself on my own cars.

I brought more than one dried-out, crispy dash back from the dead that way. I still use it on my '67 Mustang and my old trucks and it still works. I really only smell the baby oil for a day or two after application.
I use coconut oil in the same manner. No chemicals, works well
Old 09-10-2016, 10:43 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 29 Posts

Used aerospace 303 for 10 years and it's a great product.

Recently switched to Optimum Leather Protectant Plus and I equally love it. Don't mind the name, it's great for rubber and all bits of interior on the 911.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:36 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
For cleaning I typically use a damp microfiber unless it's extremely dirty. If it's extremely dirty I use Griot's interior cleaner.
I like Griot's also. I've used it on leather (pros do), that's how I got the blue jeans staining off my beige seat. Spray, let it sit half an hour or more in a closed car in the heat. Just don't use it on leather that has been re-dyed or it'll take the dye off.

I've got full leather on the dash but I don't see how anything will "condition" vinyl as it's synthetic and non-porous. In fact, I've been told by leather pros that modern coated leather is pretty much the same, unlike the old aniline leathers which benefitted from absorbing conditioners. And that the best UV protection is window tint, and using a shade in the windshield when the car is parked outside in the sun.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:48 PM
hapa997
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium for years. It cleans great, smells nice, and leaves a matte, factory finish on all vinyl and plastic parts.

Quick Reply: Best dash cleaner/conditioner for non-leather