Sponsored by:

Seeking Advice - Follow Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 04:04 PM
pgurt3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking Advice - Follow Up

Following up on my first Rennlist post seeking advice on a 997.2 purchase (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-purchase.html). This is a rather long-winded post so if you want to just cut to the chase, scroll to the bottom for some photos.

Last Thursday I left home in St. Pete Beach, FL; headed up to So. Carolina in my ’13 Audi Q5, cleaned out and ready for the trade-in. Smooth easy 6 hr drive up to Macon GA where I planned to spend the night rather than do the whole 9+ hr trip to Greenville, SC in one shot. Made it to Greenville Porsche about 12:30pm on Friday. I had pictured a stand alone dealership on a tree-lined country road. Boy was I in for a surprise. Laurens Road in Greenville was a busy bustling four lane road lined with dealerships both foreign and domestic. Luxury and economical and everywhere in-between. Took me a good 10 minutes to get to a U-turn lane and cycle thru the traffic signals and find a place to park.

And then got my first look the my “new” 2009 Carrera S. Best way I can describe it: If you’ve ever been on a blind date, where everyone you know has told you how good looking this person is but you don’t know what your perception will be. Butterflies in your gut, heart in your throat, you ring the bell and the door is opened by. . . the most beautiful girl (guy) you’ve even seen and a huge smile crosses your face. Well that’s about what happened when I walked into the dealership and asked for Dennis and a guy said “his desk is right around that corner.” And across from it was this sparkling immaculate Gray 911 with a sold sign on it. I went Whoa and all the nervous energy drained out of me, replaced by a different kind of energy. Couldn’t wait to get all the details and paperwork out of the way so I could slap my plates on this puppy and be on my way.

The salesman, Dennis, and I did a thorough visual inspection with him pointing out a couple of paint chips he had mentioned when we were discussing the car. Everything in order and we proceeded with the endless mounds of paperwork. He also pointed out that service had “mistakenly” applied some coating called Resistall to the car and that it came with a 7 yr warranty. Normally it costs about $1100 but because it was already applied I could have it for $700. What a guy! I mentioned that the name Resistall sounded like a pill that a dieter might want to take before visiting the dessert cart at an all-you-can-eat buffet. I then politely declined and offered to wait if they wanted to remove it but he just chuckled and said I lucked out. Then while he was scrambling around making photo copies I Googled Resistall thinking if the reviews were good I’d offer them a $2-300 and go from there. As I expected 90% of the comments were of the negative variety and so there was no further mention of the topic.

After a visit to the business office where I preempted any other “offers” and wrote a check, we followed up with a tutorial on the car and Dennis linked up my iPhone to the PCM. I made a couple of calls to Sirius and my insurance company and I was on my way. Behind the wheel of my own 911 for the first time in 10 yrs. First thought was this is like riding a bike, once you know how you’ll always know how. Only this was a much more powerful, more sophisticated machine than my ’89 Carrera 3.2. The comfort & handling was familiar, but PDK was a new sensation as was the additional 133Hp over the 3.2, With the traffic and in unfamiliar territory I decided to let the PDK take control as I turned onto I85 S for the 3.5 hr drive back to Macon where I was going to spend another night. My timing was impeccable as unbeknownst to me I was heading directly into Friday afternoon Atlanta, GA rush hour. Very happy to have the PDK in bumper-to-bumper. Trip took an extra hour+ and by the time I got to the hotel I was ready for a cold one and a bite to eat.

Saturday AM, up bright and early and after some hotel B-fast I was ready for the 6 hr drive home. The trip was uneventful and allowed me to get familiar with some of the controls, especially the PCM as it relates to the Sat radio and Navigation systems. Car handles like a dream and the seats are made for driving. I had spinal fusion about 20 yrs ago and can’t sit for long anywhere. Got home with very little fatigue and no pains in my neck or shoulders. For my money, Porsche has got it’s cockpit down pat! I’m looking forward to a long and intimate relationship with this machine.

A few observations and questions:

1. PDK without Sport Chrono - very tame. Seems to be in a hurry to get into higher gears at low speeds. I’m guessing that the Sport Mode Software Pkg. will change things a bit?

2. Button shifters - While I like the multi-function steering wheel for volume control and answering the phone, I think a paddle shifter is in my future. Can paddles be added or do I have to change the whole steering wheel?

3. Memory seat keeps the seat in place but it seems like the mirrors need to be readjusted every time I get in the car. Am I missing something?

4. When I open the car the driver side window comes down a bit and then goes back up once I close the door. Only thing I can think of is that there is a vacuum created in the locked car and this helps release air??

5. Homelink - was a real bear to get synced to my garage door opener. Porsche owner manual leaves a little to be desired here. Thanks to a search of Rennlist postings I came across a detailed solution requiring active participation from both Homelink and the garage door opener. Not sure if the Porsche learned the garage door motor code or visa versa.

6. PCM Update - Anyone done it? Is it worth it? I’m asking because:
A) - While I was able to link my iPhone for calls I was surprised that I could not wirelessly play music or podcasts thru the system. On my Audi, I just selected “Media” and it searched for my device (phone). I did have to select and control thru the phone though. If I get the PCM updated will this fix this?

B)Navigation - The maps are seven yrs old. I found the GPS on the Porsche much less advanced than on my Q5. Maps seemed more rudimentary - It told me I had to go X number of miles before I had to do something but only when I was about a mile away did it tell me I had to turn right. No Exit numbers either. On the Audi the GPS shows the next three upcoming exits with exit 3 and what’s available (gas, food, etc). I had to switch to the Route List to see what’s coming up and when. I don’t have the PCM manual as the dealer had to order it from Porsche so I don’t know if I’m missing some settings or if updating is the answer. Rather pricey from what I’ve heard.

That’s about it for now. I’m sure I’ll have more to comment on as I get more experience behind the wheel.

And now, judging from comments I’ve seen on other newbie postings, here’s what you’ve all been waiting for. (These look a bit darker than they did in Photoshop)>
Attached Images         
Old 08-30-2016, 10:21 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Pretty car, enjoy it!
WAZE and Google Maps can come through with BT.
XM Is fine.
I refused to spend $300-400 for new maps, iPhone works fine.
Sport chrono is a must.
Adaptive seats sold me on my 06 and my 09, my back loves them.
Check on a RemoteKey for additional features like one touch passenger window up,
Beep on lock/unlock, trunk delay opening, mirror down in reverse, etc.
Mirrors should adjust with seat memory.
Don't go crazy with PCM update, don't think you will get any signifigant features.
That's about it, from me.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:30 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Great story. So, happy for you. You can add paddles (TechArt is one company) or just get a new wheel altogether.

The window goes down to protect glass when opening and closing.

T
Old 08-30-2016, 10:45 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

I agree with forgoing the map update. It wasn't great when new and now pretty ancient. Google maps and Waze.

Window raises/lowers to get better seal since the doors don't have metal around the window.

Bluetooth streaming of music requires an adaptor. I use a Dension 500 . Also there is tranzit Blu HF and a Viseeo Tune2Air unit. All have pros/cons.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:22 PM
austx911S
Instructor

Default Congrats

That looks my car's twin.

Sports Chrono is a must. Sports mode will shift more aggressively for performance, improve throttle response and if you have PASM (standard on all S models?) adjust the suspension with a firmer ride. Sports Plus does that plus will only shift at redline in each gear and offers optional launch mode. I'm not sure if any of this differs when installing after the fact.

My previous owner updated the PCM/NAV software; the nav unit as a whole is dated but my maps seem up to date and accurate. I don't know what it costs to update.

If you have the iPod/USB adapter plugged into the center console you can plug your phone in there to play music and it charges while playing. You can also use the bluetooth phone interface at the same time. One catch is the console area is pretty small - my iPhone 5s will barely fit if I angle it in. An iPhone 6 will not fit. Aftermarket Bluetooth options are available but I haven't tried one.

I had the OEM 3 spoke sports wheel (with paddle shifters) installed at a local dealer. Not cheap but worth it IMO - steering wheel 1,200.00 + labor 200.00 more or less. The car has to be reprogrammed and the air bag switched over.

Enjoy.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:32 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

There are options for getting paddle shifters I looked into, but if you have the heated steering wheel you will lose that function.

PCM 3.0 is dated. I use the tune2air thing and it works most of the time. You can control your phone through the PCM though

I don't have the sport button with the PDK in my 2009 and it's just OK. My wifes Macan S has a PDK and it is the greatest transmission I have every used. Even without the sports button.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:16 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The navigation is horrible and even more horrible to use. I use my phone. Done.

Read your manual and it will tell you how to synch the key and program your seats and mirrors.

The 997 cockpit is what the 996 should of been. Its a perfect evolution of the 911.

Congrats and go get a nice leaf blower to dry her off.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:18 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
I don't have the sport button with the PDK in my 2009 and it's just OK. My wifes Macan S has a PDK and it is the greatest transmission I have every used. Even without the sports button.
That means you've never even truly experienced PDK in your car. Spend the money and get the Sport Chrono+ functionality. It will absolutely transform your car. Thank all of us later.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:19 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the new to you 997.2. First mod - Clear Side Markers!!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:30 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:35 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Glad you pulled the trigger. Sport chrono plus is another deal. Just driving around town I just leave it alone. When I hit Sport it drops a gear and PASM kicks in. Different car. Have only used Sport Plus a couple of times. It's like driving a manual and PASM kicks up another notch. Now it's a track car. My PSE was added along with Sharkwerks X pipe so have a button, not linked. Add that in and you don't recognize the stock car. Hit the buttons and back to a gentleman GT ride.
I think you told me it was also your retirement present? Love the color combo,by the way. Enjoy.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:47 PM
pgurt3
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for your input.

Killing me that I’ve only gotten to drive my car a couple of times. I’m in St. Pete Bch., FL and we’re in the throes of a tropical storm and have been sine Tues. night. My street is high but the neighborhood floods. We lost my wife’s ’13 Mini Cooper to a street flooded by a backed up sewer in June and I’d hate to suffer a similar fate.

Seems general consensus is Porsche’s Navigation system sucks. Guess i’ll blow the dust off a 3 yr old Tom Tom I’ve got in a drawer and update it’s maps or as Larrytrk suggests, download WAZE & use in conjunction with Google Maps for those occasions when I venture into unfamiliar territory.

Was hoping to wirelessly use my iPhone 5 but will get the cable from Sun Coast Parts and a 30 pin to Lightning converter from Apple. Might look into one of the suggested Bluetooth adapters.

Some confusion at the dealership regarding manuals; they are saying all their used car manuals have disappeared and they have ordered me a complete new set. In the interim I’ve located a general manual to download but can’t seem to find a digital version of the PCM manual. Anyone have a link?

Sport Mode package on my short list of to-do projects as is ordering that audio cable and clear side markers. Paddle-shifters will have to wait.

Will look into the mirror - seat memory link.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:54 PM
pgurt3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Own Goal
Glad you pulled the trigger. Sport chrono plus is another deal. Just driving around town I just leave it alone. When I hit Sport it drops a gear and PASM kicks in. Different car. Have only used Sport Plus a couple of times. It's like driving a manual and PASM kicks up another notch. Now it's a track car. My PSE was added along with Sharkwerks X pipe so have a button, not linked. Add that in and you don't recognize the stock car. Hit the buttons and back to a gentleman GT ride.
I think you told me it was also your retirement present? Love the color combo,by the way. Enjoy.
Jim,
Actually I've been retired since 2006 when we moved to Panama. This car is to scratch the itch I've had ever since selling my '89 Carrera back then. Itch got really really bad once we returned to the US in 2013. Now it's all better.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:04 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I always drive my car in sport mode. More like a stick shift rpm change. All I can add is .......Shiny side up
Old 09-01-2016, 03:23 PM
millertimefl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice car! I am here in Pinellas County as well! I never drive car in rain either and since it rains EVERY day here I feel your pain.

Put this on your Xmas list! Will really bring PDK car alive.
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7SM.html

Quick Reply: Seeking Advice - Follow Up