Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My great experience at FD Motorsports (Fister Exhaust added to my 997.2)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 08:25 PM
ROBSMST
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My great experience at FD Motorsports (Fister Exhaust added to my 997.2)

First, a thank you to all those who have posted in the past. I purchased my 997.2 in the spring of 16 but did a ton of research on here long before that (and since). Never posted until now as I felt my experience might help someone make a decision. Yes this post is also on the other website. I will come back from time to time to update my experience and answer any questions.

Short Version:

Me – 997.2 Targa 4S PDK

Darin – Absolute professional. What you want in someone working with you. Listens, great attention to detail, not pushy, respectful, does what he says he is going to do. Efficient!

FD Motorsports Shop – Clean and organized and easy to find.

Fister Exhaust – Sounds absolutely awesome, no drone, just the right amount of sound at low RPM and at mid to high RPM it is perfect too. Both with windows and top open or fully closed. Neighbors won’t hate me and they will appreciate the beautiful sound. Craftsmanship, second to none (Cermachrome was my choice).

Long Version:
Me – 997.2 Targa 4S PDK. It is my current daily driver. 55K miles on it. I’m anywhere between 60-120 miles any given day. I live up in the mountains so it gets a good run on the twisties every day and it opens up its legs on 280 and 880 almost on a daily basis. I’ve had Borla, DynoMax on Stangs and Jeeps and about every type on cruisers and sport tourers, not to mention all off the exhaust systems I’ve seen on friends rides.

Darin – He is very patient. I contacted him a few months back through his website but with my travel it took a few months for me to be available to have the work done. He is very responsive. He followed up my website contract with an email response and then a call to talk through my order / needs. He quickly figured out that I am easier to get a hold of (and prefer) using texts, and from then on we had very quick to the point and efficient communication (which I totally appreciate). During my install, he had to tap out a few of the bolts that hold the stock exhaust to the cats. No problem for him. I am pretty mechanically inclined but I do have to say if I would have done a self install and the bolts snapped on me, I would have stopped and put everything back together and taken it somewhere. Glad I started with him. Despite the hiccup, he finished when he said he would.

FD Motorsports Shop – As stated above, easy to find, clean, organized. What you would expect in a shop that specializes in these great sport cars. Walking distance to a couple of plazas with a lot of food / wifi / coffee / juice options.

Fister Exhaust – Having swapped out exhaust on most of my vehicles I have learned not to expect too much. When he first turned it over, I knew right away I made the right choice. The sound is absolutely amazing. It absolutely fits the car. Like most will say, it is hard not to get on it. Darin offers a great package that includes the Sharkwerks Exhaust Shot which eliminates the center muffler with those awful u-bends. I don’t know if this is in my head but the butt dyno tells me the car is significantly more responsive and also quicker to rev to the redline. The sounds are absolutely awesome, no drone, just the right amount of sound at low RPM and at mid to high RPM it is perfect too. Both with windows and top open or fully closed. Neighbors won’t hate me and they will appreciate the beautiful sound. Craftsmanship, second to none (Cermachrome was my choice). With this spectacular sports car, I am glad I did it the right way and went to Darin Fister!!!
Attached Images   
Old 08-26-2016, 08:43 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice write and pics! I'm doing this exact mode next month when I can focus on it.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:48 PM
nismosd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those cans look awesome!!! Nice finish and great choice.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:03 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ditto, WRT Darin and the Fister Exhaust, Definitely added more cowbell.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:22 AM
dasdman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 Darin installed mine as well. Very nice guy, and a Porsche fanatic to boot. The quality of the work done is top notch from the welds, to the finish, to the install.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:54 PM
pdemonet
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but I'm not finding anything more recent on 997.2s with Fister Sport Exhaust (+ Sharkwerks). Hoping to find someone in the bay area that has done this mod. Please DM me if you have the same set up as ROBMSMST and would be willing to meet up so I can check it out/have a listen :-)
Thanks!
Old 05-05-2018, 12:37 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 742 Likes on 424 Posts

I definitely feel driving to FD from LA was a worthwhile trip. I had a good time driving up and back ...but especially back!! Darrin is a chill dude to hang out with and he has a cool dog too.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:27 PM
Appraiser
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I definitely feel driving to FD from LA was a worthwhile trip. I had a good time driving up and back ...but especially back!! Darrin is a chill dude to hang out with and he has a cool dog too.
100% agree. I went to Darin's shop for the muffler in October 2016. It was a great time, great person and great sound on the drive down the coast. Anyone sitting on the fence about it - simply do it, it is worth the $.

More tone and more amplified timbre without changing the character of the flat 6, no CEL or any adverse effects (like fuel smell) and absolutely no drone.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:09 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Darin at FD is phenomenal and very detailed oriented and passionate about working on our Pcars. I had his exhaust set up along with the Sharkwerks bypass since 2012 on my 997.2 and couldn’t be more pleased to date.

Glad you share similar experiences and awesome pictures for the forum.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:44 AM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pdemonet
I know this is an old thread but I'm not finding anything more recent on 997.2s with Fister Sport Exhaust (+ Sharkwerks). Hoping to find someone in the bay area that has done this mod. Please DM me if you have the same set up as ROBMSMST and would be willing to meet up so I can check it out/have a listen :-)
Thanks!
I just ordered the Fister exhaust and Sharkwerks center muffler bypass for my 997.2. Once it arrives they say 1st week of June as they are waiting for the batch they ordered from SW, I will send you a DM and tell you when installation at Junipero Serra Porsche and Mercedes in Daly City will happen so you would know more or less how it will turn out.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:21 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pdemonet
Thanks!
I own 2 997.2 models: a 4S manual with PSE, and a 2S PDK with Fister and SW bypass pipes.

The PSE is barely noticeable: it is perhaps a 20% gain in sound, and only at high RPM. It is still way too quiet for my taste. The 2S, OTOH, sounds like a mean buzzsaw coming down the road! It really does sound incredible, just as a flat 6 should. Anyone who has a 997.2 needs both the Fister and the SW bypass to get the correct sound from the car. The PSE sounds tamer than just a Fister or Gundo car as well, for whatever reason, as my first 997 had the bypass pipes welded in.

Also, I do feel the 2S pulls harder than the 4S. It could be the bypass pipes. I felt it on the first 4S drive: the car just had a bit of lag that the 2S didn't have. It could be the extra weight of the drivetrain, although the manual in the 4S would somewhat offset the PDK in the 2S. But, now that I think about it, a bit more power being made by losing a restrictive muffler can't hurt and might be responsible. Who knows?
Old 05-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Dial430
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking 2010 Carrera S in Chicago

Although I don't live in the SF Bay Area, I can attest to the great benefit of adding a Fister Sports Exhaust with Sharkwerks cross over pipes. I just got back from my first drive with my newly installed Fister Sports Exhaust. It is pure music! This 997.2 now sounds like it should. The stock exhaust sound is simply muted and not at all exciting. But the addition of a Fister Sports Exhaust makes all the difference. The process could not be any easier, from easy ordering, to delivery of parts to installation and now the completed symphony. I am now a convert to Fister Sports Exhaust.

Last edited by Dial430; 05-09-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:05 PM
MDMX997
Rennlist Member

Not to hijack the thread. But are there any RL members in Central Jersey who have made the Fister+SW X-pipe mod locally? Which shop did you go to?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:49 PM
FD Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow, such great responses! I don't get over to RList much... I am just too dang busy!
I am glad everyone is enjoying our Fister/Sharkwerks combo! I think it is one of the best sounding out there, but I may be a little biased
The following users liked this post:
Duct Tape (10-14-2023)
Old 05-09-2018, 11:50 PM
ancientsanskrit
AutoX

Darin does outstanding work. Darin, I've been meaning to stop by to get my spark plugs done. Can't believe it's been over a year with the fisters! Time flies!

Quick Reply: My great experience at FD Motorsports (Fister Exhaust added to my 997.2)