Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly is a paint correction?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:01 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What exactly is a paint correction?

I've seen this term used many times and I don't know what it means.

Could someone give the tasks / processes / steps that make up a paint correction?

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:13 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you can stand listening to this guy, you'll learn a lot about detailing.

He's got a lot of good material on YouTube under his AMMO NYC channel.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:24 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can stand listening to this guy,
Totally. He acts like he's saving lives or something.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

This was just taked about. Go read the "Clay Bar Wow!" post on page two.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:27 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

paint has orange peel texture, sparying paint on a surface is just blowing it on and it doesnt settle down to a exact smooth level. so-called correction is same as has been done for ions by body men. Sanding the paint smooth and then buffing to a more exact smooth finish. all acrylic laquer paint used to be sanded and buffed. now hi tech car polishers are calling it correcting. (although less skilled and knowledegeable than a painter) they are sometimes skipping the sanding part because it is too dangerous, and compounding the paint smooth then polishing it
Old 08-18-2016, 11:46 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
paint has orange peel texture, sparying paint on a surface is just blowing it on and it doesnt settle down to a exact smooth level. so-called correction is same as has been done for ions by body men. Sanding the paint smooth and then buffing to a more exact smooth finish. all acrylic laquer paint used to be sanded and buffed. now hi tech car polishers are calling it correcting. (although less skilled and knowledegeable than a painter) they are sometimes skipping the sanding part because it is too dangerous, and compounding the paint smooth then polishing it
good one paragraph summary
Old 08-19-2016, 12:37 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When I put the new engine in mine, the shop guy "suggested" I get a paint correction. I didn't know what it was either, but when he told me the cost I decided it was similar to a stock market correction in that I would be out a ton of money. I would get a paint correction if it was an appreciating classic I was entering in concours shows. But this car is 11 yrs old, daily driver, sits outside all day in the sun every day. Even having it professionally detailed has been a waste of money because usually the same day it rains Wax on wax off, looks good from 10 ft away.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:40 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to add. Modern paints have a two part system, base and clear. The modern 'paint correction' is buffing out the clear coat. But the true paint correction was buffing out the single sage paint to perfection.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:43 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
It's not limited to correcting a factory new paint job and removing orange peel. I have polished cars while retaining the factory orange peel which is desirable to some who want to maintain the factory look.

Paint will inevitably get scratches and swirls through incorrect washing techniques and daily use so paint correction removes the top level of paint until all the paint is the same depth as the swirl or scratch. You can only do this so many times before you run out of paint but a good detailer will use the least amount of abrasive to get the best results which will allow you to have the paint polished many times before burning through the clear coat.

Biggest issue is a hack detailer that uses aggressive pads and polish to do the job quickly. In the process they burn through nearly all the paint and next time you get swirls or scratches you can't correct the paint since there's nothing left to work with.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:22 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people (including me) are visual, so here's some paint correction I've done. The first is the fender on my 997 after being corrected, the second is before, and the third is (50% corrected, 50% not) on my BMW E30.

It's definitely not for everyone, but I find it to be very therapeutic.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:29 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

weird question, were you able to correct the paint on the rear spoiler of your E30? the paint on the spoiler of my E46 M3 looks just like that, and i thought it was beyond repair

Originally Posted by Benihana242

Old 08-19-2016, 05:38 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

Unfortunately no. I could probably sand it down and paint it/have it painted, but at the end of the day I'm going to have to get a new one. The difference on the E30 (S) spoiler is it's flat black, isn't the E46 one shiny and painted like the rest of the trunk/car?

Send me a pic! I can make a recommendation.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:55 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I didn't know what it was either, but when he told me the cost I decided it was similar to a stock market correction in that I would be out a ton of money. I would get a paint correction if it was an appreciating classic I was entering in concours shows. But this car is 11 yrs old, daily driver, sits outside all day in the sun every day. Even having it professionally detailed has been a waste of money because usually the same day it rains Wax on wax off, looks good from 10 ft away.
LOLZ. Could it also be called paint taxation.
Its the term "correction" that is all abuzz these days. the basic is a simple good detailing; clay bar and cutt&buff then wax. But also the more difficult chip repairs, deep scratch and even PDR from hail is lumped together into "correction."
A good shop should have a paint meter and refuse to do a thinning paint, if not they can be "correcting" that panel with fresh paint!
Old 08-19-2016, 06:55 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

that spoiler is a good example of improper preperation. It is probibly abs or rubber and it needed an adhesion promoter before paint. If you sanded it completely bare and then put a good adhesion promoter then a coat of primer, then paint it would be as normal as any new spoiler
Old 08-19-2016, 06:58 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

Originally Posted by OKB
that spoiler is a good example of improper preperation. It is probibly abs or rubber and it needed an adhesion promoter before paint. If you sanded it completely bare and then put a good adhesion promoter then a coat of primer, then paint it would be as normal as any new spoiler
Yeah totally. It's the factory "IS" spoiler from a 91' E30 318is. So not bad considering the age. My fear is removing it, and then it will just crumble. A new one is about $175... so part of me thinks the prep work just isn't worth it.

Quick Reply: What exactly is a paint correction?