Blue Dawn.

Never had a issue with a car's finish.

Bubbles is yo friend.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:30 PM
VanSant62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Thanx...... my friends think I am fanatical about how I care for my toys, however I draw a hard line at "livability" and "usability". If caring interferes with either, I ditch it. Using Dawn, for example, takes of bugs and brake dust better than weaker stuff and makes washing easier so I wash more often. I like photography so I take my Porsche into the Jersey salt marshes...... if I can't use the car, then I won't own the car.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Im from Lower Bucks Cty originally, now in Houston, I miss the twisty roads and being close to either mountains or the Jersey shore. I have to drive about 2 hrs. to get to twisty roads here. Back to sudz, I never used Dawn on wheels, always that Sonax stinky yellow stuff it does work well. Dawn=much cheaper! Thnx.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:35 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

For the ultimate washing, polishing and waxing...watch "The Junkman" on you tube.

That guy is an expert.

Yves
Old 08-17-2016, 01:42 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
Quadcammer: I know I will not make you change your mind but:

For me waxing once per week is easy. I have a cab so it's really only from below the windows and down.

My wife has a convertible as well so I can swap between cars, wax mine while hers is drying up. Hers doesnt get waxed as often though

Its kind of meditating. Car has personality and beautiful shapes.

Waxing makes me see all things with the car and the paint. I see/feel stone chips and small problems early and can fix it.

Wax dissolves small dots of asphalt residue which normal car soap and sponges wont fix

Waxing keeps the car slick. My youngest 5 YO daughter still fancy writing things with her bare fingers on dirty painted car surfaces.

Preaching done
+1

I knew there were others out there like me!

Old 08-17-2016, 01:53 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Or watch AMMOYNC on youtube.

A skilled guy with lots of experience. But it's only if you look for very thorough detailing. Some things are even above my patience. But overall lots of good advice IMO.

I have always been a bit hysterical with my cars. I love to drive hard but I also like to care for them. I can drive long road trips, the car will look like sh-t and I'm fine while driving but as soon as I have the chance I want to make it look excellent again.

I have the same hysteria with my company cars. I always care for them and keep them clean and tidy. I hate driving a car with scratches, dents or filthy interior. People ask me if I'm stupid for ordering cars with light beige leather when I have three kids. Really - it's no problem. I always wipe things off immediately and then there is no problem.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:30 PM
Devildistance
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pressure wash wheels

two bucket with one grit guard and soft brush with soap from chemical guys margarita scent awesome stuff at least smell wise!

pressure wash car then soap gun followed up by new two bucket method and wash mitt

pressure wash again with half a cap of Garry Deans infinite use detail juice in hopper of pressure washer to help with water spots

leaf blower to dry

then about 5-6 borderless fluffy microfibers with Garry Deans 1 cap to 16oz bottle water for detail spray. this step is needed for water spots. Haven't stepped up and bought a water system for the house. Water here in Vegas is awful for water spots

Standard wax every 4 mo. clay bar 1 time a year. Want to give a good sealant a try. Any sealant suggestions?

+1 for the Junkman videos. Very insightful.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:12 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Larry at AMMO.

Here's a video he has where he talks about a wash. He can get wordy, but then you go and do it and appreciate the level of detail/explanation.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Oneday997
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 133 Posts

Early Saturday morning before the sun gets hot and the family is up. A hose, two buckets, two grit guards, a half dozen microfiber towels, one large waffle weave drying towel, an assortment of products from Adams and Meguires, a big mug of hot black coffee and my dog in the driveway with me. Makes for a peaceful and purposeful start to the weekend!
Old 08-17-2016, 06:58 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

My favorite technique is for me to do it and it not rain for at least 6 hours after I finish so I can have a chance to enjoy my handiwork while imbibing a hops flavored beverage.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:15 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow do I feel inadequate after watching that vid LOL

Like a previous post, I have used Dawn for over 15 years and always looked great.

For the wheels/rotors/caliper/fender wells I use a citric based degreaser with a wheel rollie.
For paint bar/waxing/polishing has always been Mothers and for leather always Lexall.

After watching the vid I think I will adopt a couple new precedures into my routine.

Originally Posted by Benihana242
I like Larry at AMMO.

Here's a video he has where he talks about a wash. He can get wordy, but then you go and do it and appreciate the level of detail/explanation.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by rbennett
Wow do I feel inadequate after watching that vid LOL

Like a previous post, I have used Dawn for over 15 years and always looked great.

For the wheels/rotors/caliper/fender wells I use a citric based degreaser with a wheel rollie.
For paint bar/waxing/polishing has always been Mothers and for leather always Lexall.

After watching the vid I think I will adopt a couple new precedures into my routine.

Dawn will strip any wax you may want to leave on the paint.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:54 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both my Range Rover and 911 sleep outside. I go the self serve car wash use the gun first with the soap option, then high pressure rinse, then spot free setting. If I wash at home, spray down really good, walk away go do something for a minute. Fill a bucket with soapy water and a cotton Tshirt, wash car. Rinse with hose and dry it with the leaf blower. Anything left over, I get with a small 100% cotton towel.

I really try not to touch the paint on my cars, (sponge, towel, washing mitt etc.) I figure the more things touch the surface, the more chances of swirls and fine scratches.

Wax once a year.

Last edited by captainbaker; 08-18-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:00 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually didn't realize this but doesn't matter, I wash 6 times a year (more if I encounter a bug field) and wax twice a year.

Originally Posted by ADias
Dawn will strip any wax you may want to leave on the paint.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:02 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 278 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Devildistance
leaf blower to dry

then about 5-6 borderless fluffy microfibers with Garry Deans 1 cap to 16oz bottle water for detail spray. this step is needed for water spots. Haven't stepped up and bought a water system for the house. Water here in Vegas is awful for water spots
I think i might have to invest in a leaf blower. As much as i love washing my car, drying it is always annoying.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:17 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Both my Range Rover 911 sleep outside. I go the self serve car wash use the gun first with the soap option, then high pressure rinse, then spot free setting. If I wash at home, spray down really good. walk away go do something for a minute. Fill a bucket with soapy water and a cotton Tshirt, wash car. Rinse with hose and dry it with the leaf blower. Anything left over, I get with a small 100% cotton towel.

I really try not to touch my cars paint, (sponge, towel, washing mitt etc.) I figure the more things touch the surface, the more chances of swirls and fins scratches.

Wax once a year.
Thanks for the drying tip…….I'm going to do that from now on!

Tom

Quick Reply: Your favorite washing routine?