Sponsored by:

How does the headliner hold up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 01:07 AM
jdgamble
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How does the headliner hold up?

So I did a quick search and didn't find anything, but every time I drive with the windows down above 50 mph, the back of the headliner flaps around like crazy. Do these hold up? The loose alcantara kinda freaks me out. Just curious.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:03 AM
syzygy333
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed this too. sometimes you just want to run with windows down.
It can't be good, and I have perhaps toned it down a bit for this reason.
I don't want a sagging headliner and I don't want to pay the headliner gods to rectify a blowout
Old 08-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

2009 C2S 100K miles.

Odd you are bringing this up... I just removed the headliner in my car last weekend to chase down a rattle in my sunroof (moon roof?). My Alcantera liner does not flap and was taught as new (I suspect). That thing is tightly stretched from the front, sides and rear by many hooks and wire frame. If yours is flapping, then something came loose.

I used this guy's instructions here for a 996. It is exactly the same for a 997.2 except for a minor difference where the cross rod enters a pin hole... but this is irrelevant. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...r-rattles.html

I recommend tiling your seats forward, then move them forward as far as they will go, the climbing in to the back, and examining all the anchor points. Between the moon roof and the rear, the cross rod is attached to the liner with a cloth "hangar"... maybe the rod popped out from the sides ....... hmmmm.

BTW, I thought I found the source of the rattle and I stuck some rubber tape but no go.... next weekend I will pull it apart again .. taking pictures so I should be able to do a right up.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-15-2016, 11:04 AM
ru'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see mine move when driving fast with windows down. I do not think it's a fault, more an airflow thing, but as per above post I may check it out (although just thinking of getting int he back gives me cramp...)
Old 08-15-2016, 11:13 AM
jdgamble
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

^^ To Bruce,

When I say flapping, that might not be the best word. My headliner is secure all the way around, it just reverberates when the windows are down. Most cars I have owned (actually probably all), the headliner is basically glued to the roof. But since the 911 is kinda loose, it just seems a little unstable to me.

Sounds like you didn't see any evidence of wear on the connection to the hooks/wire frame, though, so that's good. I'll hope for the best.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:44 PM
tuxkilla
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have also noticed this behavior with my headliner. I checked and everything seems fine, but before I go on track with the thing, I plan on looking at it a little more thoroughly.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:26 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It isn't glued down anywhere except the front and back snap-in braces and also is glued around the sunroof frame. Other wise it is suspended by hooks behing the plastic interior pieces so a strong wind will make the fabric flutter. TMI- When i took mine down to fix sunroof rattle (loose frame bolt) I did find a wear area at one of the sunroof frame corners so I took some thin sturdy fabric and reinforced the worn area from behind with 3M light upholstery cement. Can't notice it.
Forgot to mention, there is a side-to-side metal rod that slips thru a flap under the headliner in the middle which gives some support.
Fyi, I personally wouldn't attempt headliner removal without using the factory manual. One slip and you're out $$.
The following users liked this post:
Max3480 (11-22-2020)
Old 08-15-2016, 03:55 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As an aside...

Did all 997.1 S-models have alcantara head liners or was it an option?
Old 08-16-2016, 12:18 AM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jdgamble
So I did a quick search and didn't find anything, but every time I drive with the windows down above 50 mph, the back of the headliner flaps around like crazy. Do these hold up? The loose alcantara kinda freaks me out. Just curious.
Freaked me out the first time I noticed it, too, because I thought something was wrong with it. It "flaps" the most when the sunroof and side windows are all fully open at highway speeds. So now, I just close the sunroof right before I get on the highway so it doesn't do it as much.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:33 AM
pilfer
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 100K miles.

Odd you are bringing this up... I just removed the headliner in my car last weekend to chase down a rattle in my sunroof (moon roof?). My Alcantera liner does not flap and was taught as new (I suspect). That thing is tightly stretched from the front, sides and rear by many hooks and wire frame. If yours is flapping, then something came loose.

I used this guy's instructions here for a 996. It is exactly the same for a 997.2 except for a minor difference where the cross rod enters a pin hole... but this is irrelevant. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...r-rattles.html

I recommend tiling your seats forward, then move them forward as far as they will go, the climbing in to the back, and examining all the anchor points. Between the moon roof and the rear, the cross rod is attached to the liner with a cloth "hangar"... maybe the rod popped out from the sides ....... hmmmm.

BTW, I thought I found the source of the rattle and I stuck some rubber tape but no go.... next weekend I will pull it apart again .. taking pictures so I should be able to do a right up.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Were you able to sort out the rattles? I've had one on my 2012 GTS since about the second month of ownership and it was driving me crazy

I don't daily drive the car anymore so it's less of a concern. I took it to two dealerships and told them what I thought it was but they were unwilling to take off the headliner to fix it. I also couldn't reproduce the noise with them.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:12 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Mine only flaps over 130...
Old 08-16-2016, 12:48 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by pilfer
Were you able to sort out the rattles? I've had one on my 2012 GTS since about the second month of ownership and it was driving me crazy

I don't daily drive the car anymore so it's less of a concern. I took it to two dealerships and told them what I thought it was but they were unwilling to take off the headliner to fix it. I also couldn't reproduce the noise with them.
Not yet. I can make it rattle by gently bumping the area directly behind the closed roof with my fist. I am going to take another stab at it this weekend.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: How does the headliner hold up?