OIl Change > a question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 05:14 PM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OIl Change > a question

2007 997.1 6 spd.

I've been doing all the routine maintenance myself. I come from the hotrod world and after 2 years am loving this car. Learning what's normal vs what needs some tweeking so help me out.

The oil pan is a little wet between oil changes. This is pretty normal in my world is this true with my car? FWIIW I do use a fresh washer with each oil change and torque to spec.

Last, when you install the paper filter I put it onto the engine first than install the filter housing and torque to spec. Yes?
Old 08-10-2016, 06:46 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Where is it wet? Near the transmission? The RMS is known to seep, no big deal. Around the drain plug? Make sure you are torquing to spec, mine is dry every time. Around the oil filter? Be sure to change the o-ring with each filter change.

I always soak my filter in fresh oil before installing. So it's easiest to leave the filter in the canister then fill the canister with oil since it mounts from below (997.1). Just be sure the filter is seated properly in the plastic canister. I've since switched to the LN Engineering spin on adapter with Napa gold filters. Same general process though - fill the Napa filter with oil before installing. And lube the o-ring with fresh oil too.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:31 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you post a picture because it is not normal for there to be oil residue or fluids under our engines.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:15 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Agree. I assume you mean around the drain plug since you said you torque to spec. Should be dry.

Yes, I put the filter on the engine and then put the housing on, being careful not to cross thread.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:50 PM
too tall
Instructor

Thanks gents. I'll snap a picture tomorrow. Unfortunately I did a little clean up. The oil covered about 1/3 of the pan. Not alot of oil.

Check. I'm using fresh oil filter o-rings too.

I'll shine an inspection light and inspect the RMS and transmission.

Appreciate the direction.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:42 AM
Sydneysixer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my MY05 997.1 for about 12 months and noticed a damp patch around the engine drain plug after it was serviced by an OPC. Upon checking/ re-torquing the drain plug to spec (50Nm) the weep stopped. However, I would be very careful not to over tighten given the pan is an Al-alloy.

I have also had first hand experience with a RMS leak - this was further forward toward the transmission, with dripping onto the subframe cross member & anti-roll bar. After replacing the RMS (along with the clutch and an IMS bearing upgrade as preventative maintenance), the underside is now as dry as bone
Old 08-11-2016, 11:19 AM
too tall
Instructor

RMS and Trans. look good.
Wild guess, the oil pan drain bolts washer from last oil change was not torqued properly or something prevented it from sealing perfectly.
I've wiped it clean apres' vous the photo and will monitor.
Attached Images      
Old 08-11-2016, 12:05 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, somebody screwed the pooch on the drain plug. Hope the pan threads are ok.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:14 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Yep, that ain't right. My 05 has 0 oil. Next oil change replace with a magnetic drain plug and new gasket
Old 08-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

While you use a new sealing ring at each oil change I suspect the previous owner or whoever serviced the car before you got a hold of it didn't and the drain plug sealing surface or the oil pan sealing surface has been damaged.

You can drain the oil and let it drain the nominal drain time (one hour?). Then wipe the oil drain plug hole with a clean rag and carefully examine the sealing surface where the sealing ring seals for any signs of damage. Have a good flashlight handy along with a magnifying glass.

If you find some signs of damage on this surface the odds are you'll have to replace the oil pan with a new one the to address the leak.

If the oil pan sealing surface looks ok then check the oil drain plug's sealing surface. Or you can just replace the current drain plug with a new one in the hopes the problem is confined to the drain plug.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:24 PM
too tall
Instructor

Good advice. I do have a spare (new) drain plug. I'll run it and watch it as they say and look to resolve this at the next oil change.

Frustrated that hamfisted people have bungled something so simple.

Quick Reply: OIl Change > a question