Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Track Driving Day at Atlanta Porsche Experience Center (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/947806-track-driving-day-at-atlanta-porsche-experience-center.html)

jeffrec 08-06-2016 05:29 PM

Track Driving Day at Atlanta Porsche Experience Center

3 Attachment(s)
Spent the morning at the Atlanta Porsche Experience Center for a "Master the Manual" driving experience day. I got to drive a 2017 Carrera S and a 2017 Cayman GT4, both with manual transmission and a Porsche trained driving instructor. I have to say that I love my 997.2, however, I was pleasantly surprised by the Carrera S exhaust note as well as the greater torque. The 420 HP turbo engine and short throw gearbox did not disappoint. However, I was surprised that after driving the GT4 I realized that it was not for me. Don't get me wrong it is a great track car, nice short throw gearbox, unbelievably stiff clutch pedal and a real road handler, but not the overall experience of the Carrera S for me. Another surprise that I was not aware of is that both Carrera and GT4 have launch control with the manual gearbox. Engage the clutch pedal, rev to 4000 RPM and drop the clutch. What a rush and apparently no damage to clutch. Wish I could do that in my 997.2.

Overall I had a great day, and when it was all over and I got back into the cockpit of my PCar, I still had that never ending Porsche smile on my face.

Here a few pics from the day...Attachment 1078020

Attachment 1078021Attachment 1078022

ocgarza 08-06-2016 08:28 PM

Yes that is quite the experience. I did the mid-engine vs rear engine test and love both cars. Who was your P driver, by any chance Jon Brunot? He is pretty cool and really lets you wind up those cars. And as your photos indicate, the museum they have in there is second to none. Some of those cars they store in Atlanta are amazing :-)

jeffrec 08-06-2016 09:09 PM

The Porsche driver was Tyler Hoffman, good guy, lots of fun to spend time with. At the end of the day he decided to take the wheel in the GT4 with me in the passenger seat. When you really know how to drive these cars the way they were engineered to, all I can say is unfrigginbelievable.

If any of our PCar brethren ever get to Atlanta, I highly recommend checking the place out.

ocgarza 08-06-2016 09:46 PM

Yes the laps with the Pdriver are an amazing introduction into the cars' full capabilities. I could never take the Cayman S - my time there was before the GT4 - to its full limits but Jon Brunot certainly did. I was AMAZED

997v2cabrio 08-06-2016 11:16 PM

What did it cost you?

99711mike82 08-07-2016 02:05 AM

Awesome pics!! What an experience!!! As a new 911 owner, this is definitely on my bucket list. Curious to know what the cost is, and what all is included? I will be traveling from out of state. Do they offer hotel accommodations, discounts on lodging, etc?

Speedvagen 08-07-2016 09:04 PM

Highly recommeneded - I did it back in April. Looking forward to them opening in Carson as that is closer to me (live in Seattle).

jeffrec 08-08-2016 09:49 PM

99711mike82...the cost varies by package. The master the manual package is actually one of the more expensive packages. As you might expect a day in a Boxster is far less than a day in a GT3 or Turbo S, both of which can be on your list of PCars to drive and experience. I believe that costs start around $350 and go up to approximately $600. Check the Porsche website to get details. As far as what you get for the price. A full access day to the Porsche NA HQ in Atlanta which includes Porsche automobile exhibits, a race track simulator, the 356 restaurant overlooking the track, access to the Porsche store and of course the track experience. if you are a Porschefile like I am it should definitely be on your bucket list. Also, as far as location and accommodations, the Porsche facility is basically at the Atlanta airport, just a short Uber ride from the international terminal. Porsche does not offer any hotel packages with the deal.

My next Porsche experience needs to be in Stuttgart for a tour of the factory and museum!!!

mreloc 08-09-2016 12:42 PM

Highly recommeneded - I did it back in April. Looking forward to them opening in Carson as that is closer to me (live in Seattle).
Can't wait for Carson to open- 30 min from me, and from what I hear, 2X the size of the Atlanta experience.

ocgarza 08-10-2016 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by 997v2cabrio (Post 13508273)
What did it cost you?

My rear engine vs mid engine experience was $550 if I remember correctly. Like Jeffrec I did the whole package including time on the 918 simulator (on the COTA track - which I have driven on) but my simulator time was cut short because we spent more time driving than originally planned.
My Pdriver spent considerable time demonstrating the skid differences between the mid engine and rear engine models on the wet skid pad. We also did a lot of power launches.
The track itself is pretty technical with no real straights to speak of, but the turns are very challenging at speed.
Highly recommended.

white rock 08-10-2016 04:49 PM

Pricing for those that asked.

Originally Posted by 997v2cabrio (Post 13508273)
What did it cost you?

https://www.porschedriving.com/exper...ng-experiences

https://www.porschedriving.com/exper...driving-school