Sponsored by:

Second gear grind of a different kind

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 04:13 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Second gear grind of a different kind

I have read several other threads on grinding gears. I think mine is a little different. I get it when shifting into second, but it doesn't happen when moving the lever. Rather, it happens when I am releasing the clutch and getting back on the gas. Happens with casual driving. Hot or cold. Doesn't do it every time. Thoughts?
Old 07-31-2016, 09:20 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

2009 C2S 100K miles

I get a clacking as all the dogs/gears press up. Let out the clutch and you hear a quick c-c-c-c-c . All within a milisecond Happens with almost every gear shift if you listen and if the thing is slack. Always had this in 70+K of ownership.... most noticeable releasing the clutch into 2nd but I think that is only because the noise level is lower. My assumption is that the synchro-meshed gears are not all tightly engaged but there is minute play in there and when you release the clutch, the transmission presses all the metal parts together and you hear it. At least that is what I hope it is.... if there is something wrong, my car now has 100K miles on this transmission, it has always done this, and has not failed (yet).

Is this what you have? My Boxster Ss manual transmission would rattle in neutral, clutch depressed, at idle in a closed garage.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 07-31-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:12 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

That doesn't sound like the sound. It's not a milisecond. Sounds just like grind.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:24 AM
nismosd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like you are releasing the clutch early. Give it a second before releasing and see if that doesn't help. If the grind persist, adjusting the shift cables and changing tranny oil to PTX will make wonders. I was chasing the same issue with 2nd gear grind only and PTX with cable adjustments made it go away.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:31 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by nismosd
.......PTX with cable adjustments made it go away.
I get the PTX oil as I have changed to it 3 weeks ago but can you help me understand the cable adjustment part ? why do you need to adjust it and what exactly is being adjusted ? taking out the slag ?
Old 08-02-2016, 08:53 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nismosd
That sounds like you are releasing the clutch early. Give it a second before releasing and see if that doesn't help. If the grind persist, adjusting the shift cables and changing tranny oil to PTX will make wonders. I was chasing the same issue with 2nd gear grind only and PTX with cable adjustments made it go away.
THanks. I already have the PTX. I can shift. Pause a full 2 seconds, and then release and it happens. But Ill check the cable.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:11 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

I had that in second gear. Does it happen during quick or high speed shifting either in gear or out of gear. I found out my syncro was cracked or really it was split in my case and I had to replace the syncro for 1st and 2nd.

Not cheap or a fun experience.

Last edited by RaidersR1; 08-02-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:32 PM
nismosd
Instructor

Originally Posted by lowbee
I get the PTX oil as I have changed to it 3 weeks ago but can you help me understand the cable adjustment part ? why do you need to adjust it and what exactly is being adjusted ? taking out the slag ?
When I purchased the car from the previous owner, 2nd gear would grind when shifting quickly or cold. Slowing the shift seemed to help but not completely, the car was already equipped with the 997 ssk. After some research, many have gone to PTX with success.

I also bought the alignment tool, had my local indy changed to the PTX and did a cable alignment using the factory tool. All was well until I swapped the ssk to numeric shifter. The second gear grind came back ever so slightly until I brought it back to get the cables adjusted. After several trial and error, they were able to make it right. I don't fully understand why the cable adjustment matters, but in my case it works.

Sorry, I can't tell you how far they were adjusted but because my center console was removed for painting, you could see 2 cables with threads at the link that can lengthen/shorten the cables. I'm assuming that is what they adjusted. They could not use the adjustment tool for the numeric.

Quick Reply: Second gear grind of a different kind