997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0 keeps crashing/rebooting, loads in German, unusable

Old 10-20-2017, 02:27 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Best and final solution is to have your unit removed and send to Becker in NJ for repair and upgrade. Had the same sorts of problems and finally got the PCM fixed. I would not buy new of course and buying someone else's problem off Ebay didn't appeal to me.

The dealer can remove the unit and send to Becker in Saddle Brook NJ. Contact Ed Bebl at 201-773-0976. They are very good and accommodating. You'll tear up $1,000 with them and another $300 or so with the dealer for in and out and reprogramming. Basically this is a $1500 haircut for something that should never be an issue and would never be with a Honda.

The only upside is the NAVI maps and interface is updated and seems to be more user friendly and modern.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Ten Years
There is a separate BT code. There are like four or five codes, for each various "system" within the PCM. I've heard even without codes, any unit will plug in and work, for a short time, before locking out. Hoping your BT isn't locked out.

Did you buy from that guy on eBay, in SoCal? I don't want to give anyone not official Porsche, my VIN info, etc., which is what they want, in order to provide me a new, specific-to-my-VIN, code. I'm trying to ask my dealer to get the codes for me from Porsche AG. Is that what you did? Please advise. Thanks.

If not, I think I'd rather go brand new, but now there are issues (supposedly), about new unit availability.
I got it out of a wrecked low-mileage GT3 in Texas. If I'm understanding my Durametric readout correctly, I think the dealer just didn't code it properly and I haven't been concerned enough to get it done again. From what I gather, the sat/nav/BT specifically need proper coding and without it only the radio, aux and basic features work. The PCMs have a bunch of different parts numbers based on the included components so I used the number the dealer gave me based on my VIN to source the replacement.

Brand new is certainly the ideal route to go but it was something like $2200 vs the $600 I paid. If another attempt at coding doesn't do the trick I'll probably send the original unit to Becker.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:41 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Dropped off my unit at Becker. 8 business days later and $950 + tax and I have a working radio only. Now need to head to the dealer so I can use my compass, aux, Bluetooth and Navigation.

Agree with Mike Cap. Pricey haircut......

I did notice the firmware was updated to the 1.4. Wonder what map version is in there now?
Wanted to update the maps while it as at the dealer, but I see the latest update at Sun Coast is 2015 w/ 2014 maps.
Anyone know when the new maps maybe released?
Old 11-30-2017, 02:31 PM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Finally had my 3.0 PCM re-coded at the dealer. Total out of pocket $1373.00. Jack Daniels charged 2 hours labor (no map of firmware update) but gave a 10% discount for being a PCA member.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:51 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It looks like mine's starting to go on the fritz. I almost always listen to music stored on USB stick, and over the past couple days it's randomly switched from USB to the radio at 87.50 MHz (ie, static). Controls will freeze. Then reboot.

If I had to guess, the cause is bad solder joints or maybe tin whiskering on the circuit boards. The environmentally-safe lead-free solder everyone started using in the mid-00s just doesn't have the reliability...
Old 12-12-2017, 11:20 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

I'll get flamed for this, but there are so many MODERN replacement head units available, why spend substantial money repairing obsolete technology that is inherently not as enjoyable (imho) to use? I didn't think twice about swapping out the entire entertainment system within 3 weeks of taking ownership of the vehicle. I get that music/audio isn't terribly important to many porsche owners, but if 1) you like great music and 2) yours is a DD and 3) you are ever stuck in traffic or take longer rides, it's worth it to upgrade.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:46 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

My concern is the loss of functionality (PCM vehicle setting menus) and integration with the car's electronics. The sound quality from the stock Bose system is "good enough" for me.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:45 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,136 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
My concern is the loss of functionality (PCM vehicle setting menus) and integration with the car's electronics. The sound quality from the stock Bose system is "good enough" for me.
This. How does anybody deal with this? Am I missing something?
Old 12-13-2017, 01:36 AM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Good info on this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...on-997-2s.html

Seems some PCM functionality would be lost forever, including Lap Timer for Sport Chrono Pack.

Overall cost for going aftermarket would be approximately $1000-$1200 (my guess) depending on the head unit. Perhaps a little cheaper than having the PCM 3.0 repaired by Becker. CarPlay and/or Android Auto would be a nice touch. The navigation in PCM 3.0 is hopelessly outdated.

This head unit might make a nice match, especially since it has a real volume ****:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV....html?tp=72357
Old 12-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Besides the integration with the car's computers as mentioned, I sort of like the PCM 3 interface to be honest. It has all the functionality I really need besides Bluetooth streaming, which is easy enough to supplement. It also looks better IMO than pretty much all the aftermarket units I know of. Finally, because of the MOST fiber optic stuff, it's not as simple as just swapping in a new head unit all *****-nilly.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:28 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Besides the integration with the car's computers as mentioned, I sort of like the PCM 3 interface to be honest. It has all the functionality I really need besides Bluetooth streaming, which is easy enough to supplement. It also looks better IMO than pretty much all the aftermarket units I know of. Finally, because of the MOST fiber optic stuff, it's not as simple as just swapping in a new head unit all *****-nilly.
My understanding is this kit from NAV-TV will interface aftermarket head units to the MOST interface pretty much plug-'n'-play. Certainly not cheap, but overall no more expensive than sending the PCM unit in for repair and re-coding.

I spent some time going through the menus available via the multi-function stalk on the steering column trying to find things that wouldn't work if the PCM weren't there and here's what I came up with:
- Trip Computer (MPG, estimated range, etc).
- Lap Timer and Lap Time memory for Sport Chrono (oh no! can't tell you how many times I've used this.. oh wait, yes I can: 0)
- Bluetooth phone capability (non-issue since aftermarket head units have this)
- Remote Display for PCM's navigation and audio
- XM Radio (not a big deal as this can be accomodated via aftermarket head unit if desired)
- Key personalization functions

Other vehicle functions such as setting units, date/time, DRL on/off, etc can still be modified without PCM
Old 12-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,405 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
This. How does anybody deal with this? Am I missing something?
If you have Sport Chrono, you loose a bunch of options such as auto door locking..... However, the dealer may be able to code these options with their computer if you want them to.

I don't have sport chrono so I went ahead and had the whole system swapped out for after market, then original system swapped back in when the installer could not get the alternator whine out of it (long story). If you have the Bose premium system (forget what Porsche calls it) and 997.2 as I do, you have to swap the amp (located under the passenger seat) with the head unit. They communicate via a proprietary protocol and there is no aftermarket codec to translate. If you don't have the premium, you can swap out just the head unit.

I don;t remember all the functions I lost...... little things such as nav directions in the dash.... I did have a module installed so I could control volume from my steering wheel but it didn't work all that well.... In short, if you are going to swap everything out, you should go in with your eyes wide open. I have no problem doing this as I love music and desire high fidelity... but to each his own.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-13-2017, 01:33 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
If you have the Bose premium system (forget what Porsche calls it) and 997.2 as I do, you have to swap the amp (located under the passenger seat) with the head unit. They communicate via a proprietary protocol and there is no aftermarket codec to translate.
Did you use the NAV-TV adapter with your aftermarket setup?
Old 12-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,405 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
Did you use the NAV-TV adapter with your aftermarket setup?
I don;t know what that is, so I guess "no". I could watch DVDs on the new Alpine unit that did have navigation (they used a new antenna because they said using the Porsche one was flaky).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-14-2017, 12:30 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey veninger. Did these updates/repairs fix your compass that would disappear?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 keeps crashing/rebooting, loads in German, unusable