Old 07-28-2016, 06:38 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Porsche is funny...

Thoughts on GTS vs 2S
What are you getting with GTS?
X51 package, aero kit front end without lip, and GTS side skirts..spyder center lock rims
wide body with improved cooling (4s is also wide body with improved cooling)

What you are not getting standard
The GO FAST parts
LSD, SPASM, Sport Chrono Plus

so the trick is to find one optioned like ten years...

Otherwise a 2s /4s with the LSD, SPASM, Sport chrono plus will be the better track car.

Oh and it is hard to find a GTS with those options... I'm looking! especially SPASM

I can't believe the GTS did not come with LSD or SPASM as standard...blows my mind that a car with more HP and supposedly more track focus doesn't come standard with one.
That's why I jumped on mine. It was a special order car owned by a fanatical RL-er. When I saw he traded it in, I got a jump on it, and got it immediately after the dealer had cleaned it up and CPO-ed it. It has the those interior options, plus all the go-fast options: LSD, SPASM, PDK, Sport Chrono+, et al. Once every three months, I'll think to myself, "Maybe I should find one with a manual, to keep forever." Then I realize it's not that easy to find one with everything my car has now. I feel pretty lucky every time I drive it. I do absolutely love PDK; I have no complaints about the actual system.

Best of luck, Snake Eyes, finding that perfect GTS. Love your C4S, too, though!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:51 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hot damn wow $37K to make the jump. Must have been low mileage and plenty of options on that GTS.

I've considered making the jump from .2 C2S to GTS as well. I love the Alcantara and wide hips. But at the same time I have a pretty bare bones .2S, I don't even have universal aux/ipod connection (dealer quoted ~$2100 to add), bluetooth, or Bose (basically creature comforts). It does have heated seats, dimming rear view/side mirrors, and sports chrono. I also have sand beige interior which I don't see often on the used market so I guess that is a plus. Fister and Sharkwerks crosspipe solved the exhaust sound situation.

Thinking if I just add some options (upgrade the sound system, add bluetooth & universal connection, rewrap steering wheel and shifter to sand beige alcantara, if I can ever find a vendor that has the color) I'll be a happy camper without breaking the bank.

I'm not sure what others mentioned above + 200 rpm quicker torque availability and 23hp is worth the admission price.

PS Ten Years your interior is beautiful.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:07 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all for the feedback.....

Couple of you have quoted the low production numbers of the GTS which is probably why it's a challenge to find one equipped as I'd want it. Just spit balling here, but 60% if not more of the cars seem to be PDK which limits my field even more as I want a 6 speed. The only GTS cars I see online equipped as I'd want are $75k so that's almost a $30k jump from this C2S in my backyard.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:24 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I moved from a 997.1S to a 997.2S. I miss the raspy sound and more of the "oil/gas" feel of the 997.1S. But I loved the more linear torque "feel" of the DFI motor and improved interior (electronics, etc.) of the 997.2S.

Doesn't mean the .1 actually IS raspier sounding or smells more like oil/gas, or that the torque curve is actually that different, more just seat of the pants perception feelings on my part.

Then I drove a GTS. I took it home, grappled with the price delta, and decided against it. I've regretted that decision every day since. I LOVE my .2, don't get me wrong. It's WAY more car than my abilities will ever allow me to properly appreciate. But for me, uh, the GTS was just the perfect blend of "special". Great transmission (manual), great torque through the mid-range, great interior, etc. just amazing. Granted, I also felt similarly for the GT3 but decided the GTS was probably the perfect DD FOR ME. Others out there will feel differently based on preference.

If it makes financial sense AND the GTS appeals to you, get it. Otherwise, hard to go wrong with the .2. I still love mine and haven't found the perfect car to replace it yet. Y-E-T.

Best of luck!

KS
Old 07-29-2016, 12:33 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

^^^ Great assessment.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:35 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

GTS if you don't wanna go any faster than that. Otherwise drive the Turbo or Turbo S. I'm deciding on a 997.2 myself, gt3 versus Turbos. I started at a GTS and used 997.2 faster models are a plenty, and going lower. Look at GT3 prices and Turbo prices used. Dropping. Picking one up in the Spring, I see no reason not to save a **** ton of money. I can order the next one. The S cars are plenty fast, plenty useful daily driver fast. Mine is a daily as well. I have terrible streets near me. GT3 may be too much for my middle aged back. I'll also have that roll bar where my 33lb son likes to sit! ��
Old 07-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will offer a contrasting opinion. I have a C2S and I have driven a GTS at speed (street and track). For me, the GTS is great: nice, incrementally better in several ways. But I was left thinking that a) the marginal improvements did not seem substantial enough to be worth it (to me); b) I actually really enjoy the way my car feels (probably the narrower rear).

I've driven a variety of other/newer models (991, Cayman, etc), and I keep coming back to the fact that I love my 997.2C2S. I just really like the feel of it. If I were looking, and I found a GTS the way I wanted it, and it weren't significantly more money, I would certainly want one. Otherwise, nah.

Different strokes! Ultimately, do whatever you want! It will be fun either way.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:24 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I would say GTS no question.

I never owned a C2S. or C4S but I drove them a number of times including a couple overnight test drives. I did have fun with the C4S on the overnight. It drove great. But to me the GTS is worth the cost over the other cars. I chose mine recently over 991 S, even. The parts alone may not sound earth shattering. But the combination of them together really does make something special. I will say, however, get one that is optioned exactly as you want.

My car is a PDK/sport chrono/SPASM (with LSD)

I just had to have the SPASM. I'll end up doing something aftermarket with the suspension but getting SPASM will make it so I can wait until at least next year before I do it.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 549 Posts

Thanks for all the input to this great thread. I just bought a 2011 Carrera GTS. Flew all the way to Boston from Hawaii to look, test drive, and dealer PPI it. It checked all of my personal boxes: 11K miles
6sp Manual
Black (Basalt) /Black Alcantara
PASM
Sport Chrono software dealer install (no dash wart, just the functioning part of Sport Chrono)
dealer installed PCM 3.0 backup camera
...well, easier to just post the sticker:

Driving it from Boston to San Diego (via Montreal, Minneapolis, Banff, Victoria, Portland, San Francisco) over the next few months. Kind of a "bucket list" trip with lots of stops to vistit realatives and friends, sticking to back roads and scenic routes...not in any hurry at all. Just need to beat old man winter in the Canadian Rockies.
Anyway, it is an awesome car, an amazing upgrade to my 2007 997.1 Carrera:

I love it, but this GTS is the real deal:

I apologize in advance for the any bad formatting, or inconsistent photo attachment resolution or sizing. The "Preview" looks pretty pathetic, but this is my first post, ever.

Gerry
Kailua, Oahu, Hawaiian Islands, Pacific Ocean

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 08-12-2016 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 08-13-2016, 01:08 AM
blitz997
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ten Years
I've owned both 997.2 C2S and GTS, and even had them both for quite a while. FWIW, all-in, and factoring taxes, etc., I spent over double that to upgrade. To me, it was worth it. Some quick thoughts:

If you like the NB look, and in your mind's eye your 911 should be light and lean, like a late Sixties 911S or the '73 2.7 RS, then go for the C2S. 997.2 C2S looks just about perfect. Plenty curvy enough. Car dances and feels more alive than GTS.

If you love the WB hips, and want a slightly more planted feel, go for the GTS. There were only about 2,000 RWD GTS coupes made, so it's got that going for it. Will definitely hold its value better over the long run.

They really do feel different enough to consider them unique models. Very similar overall, of course, but different in key ways. And the GTS interior is incredible. Feels much more exotic, IMO. (EDIT: I sometimes forget that I did add a lot to the interior, to bring it to what it is like now.) Also, FWIW, I do sometimes miss the simplicity and clean lines of the NB cars.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

is that 2000 made for world wide or just North America?
Old 08-13-2016, 12:54 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Ten Years
Well, to be fair, I did spend quite a bit of time and money on the interior. It did already come very well appointed from the factory, with many options, including: Adaptive Sport Seats with embossed crests and Alcantara inserts; OEM Painted Carrara White seat backs; OEM Carrara White Dials, including Chrono Pod; Factory Embossed Crest in center console lid, etc. In addition to those options, almost all other surfaces are now either leather, genuine Alcantara, or carbon fiber.
Looks great, especially the alcantara bits.

Quick Reply: Thinking of moving to 997.2....GTS vs C2S