Sponsored by:

997.1 rear duct mod? [Fabspeed Competition Air Intake]

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 05:14 PM
Long Islander1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997.1 rear duct mod? [Fabspeed Competition Air Intake]

I noticed in the S models there's two air intakes into the air box. I since purchased the fabspeed cold air duct and my 997.1 only has one 'forced' air port on the left.

See the attached image for the 997 S model that has TWO ducts. Can I attach another one (on the right side) since mine does't have it?

Also any negative feedback on the Carrera Fabspeed Competition Air Intake?

Last edited by Long Islander1; 07-26-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:55 PM
J_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

No images attached.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:43 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice but totally useless imo. Where is the "cold" air intake as it seem to breathe via the engine bay,
Old 07-26-2016, 09:10 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

S cars have one intake unless it has the X51 package.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:11 AM
Ganthrithor
Intermediate

I own one because I love the sound. Don't buy one for cold air as it would be a big waste of a bunch of money. The stock airbox looks like a very good design.

If you want the howl though, send Fabspeed your money. It definitely delivers on that count.

I had a couple of minor fitment issues with mine:

- The rubber thingos that help hold the "heatshield" in place were too girthy for the holes they were meant to go into, and I had to sand them down conically at one end with a dremel in order to get them into the holes. Once the first bit was in, it was possible to force the unmodified portion in as well.

- The air intake itself is a very tight fit in the compartment. Mine touches the plastic gaurd for the engine bay fan, and the right side air filter cone bangs into the attachment point where the rear decklid gas strut meets the body. This is after fiddling with the orientation of the intake and the individual cones multiple times-- if I tilt the intake to the left enough for the fan shroud not to slam into the intake and the oil fill tube when the lid is closed, the right cone comes up high enough to hit the gas strut. If I tilt it to clear the strut, the fan housing hits the oil tube and the intake again.

So basically my right intake cone has a dimple in it from being mashed against the gas strut mount. Not the end of the world, but it would've been nice if it just fit a little more precisely.

The intake and heatshield themselves are beautiful, and the sound is glorious.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:01 AM
Long Islander1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ganthrithor
I own one because I love the sound. Don't buy one for cold air as it would be a big waste of a bunch of money. The stock airbox looks like a very good design.

If you want the howl though, send Fabspeed your money. It definitely delivers on that count.

I had a couple of minor fitment issues with mine:

- The rubber thingos that help hold the "heatshield" in place were too girthy for the holes they were meant to go into, and I had to sand them down conically at one end with a dremel in order to get them into the holes. Once the first bit was in, it was possible to force the unmodified portion in as well.

- The air intake itself is a very tight fit in the compartment. Mine touches the plastic gaurd for the engine bay fan, and the right side air filter cone bangs into the attachment point where the rear decklid gas strut meets the body. This is after fiddling with the orientation of the intake and the individual cones multiple times-- if I tilt the intake to the left enough for the fan shroud not to slam into the intake and the oil fill tube when the lid is closed, the right cone comes up high enough to hit the gas strut. If I tilt it to clear the strut, the fan housing hits the oil tube and the intake again.

So basically my right intake cone has a dimple in it from being mashed against the gas strut mount. Not the end of the world, but it would've been nice if it just fit a little more precisely.

The intake and heatshield themselves are beautiful, and the sound is glorious.
Thanks for your feedback. Any pics?

HOws the sound as you say howl?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:21 AM
Mcjimmy33
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any data to backup the power loss or heat soak with this intake over a stock one? Fabspeeds dyno sheets make it look like a great upgrade. I have also seen one other post on here about a decent increase in air density with the upgrade. I have never seen any data to backup the bashing of these but I would love to see some before I throw a grand at this mod.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:26 AM
Long Islander1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mcjimmy33
Does anyone have any data to backup the power loss or heat soak with this intake over a stock one? Fabspeeds dyno sheets make it look like a great upgrade. I have also seen one other post on here about a decent increase in air density with the upgrade. I have never seen any data to backup the bashing of these but I would love to see some before I throw a grand at this mod.

For the record I paid $780 shipped.

It has not been delivered yet, but I too agree with your comments. I wonder though about the water from the truck entering into the filters? The stock box is 'covered' with that black plastic box... that's my only concern.

I'll have it within the week and Ill install and report back.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:34 AM
KeepItTidy
Advanced

I am fitting my K&N intake tomorrow
It only has the single intake But i'd still like to get the second duct cut open.

Anyone done this? (just cut out the area from the tail and not put the duct in)

Quick Reply: 997.1 rear duct mod? [Fabspeed Competition Air Intake]