Sponsored by:

Smoked LED tail lights failed state inspection

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:36 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
I brought my 997.1 to the CHP after the smoked lights were installed and asked if these were going to be an issue...at first they said it would be a problem as tinting was a no no... However, these are not tinted and have the DOT stamp on them...then they measured the light output and it met all DOT standards, so all OK.

Have had them on now for about 2 years and no issues with CHP or city police.

looks great
Old 07-25-2016, 11:38 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I like the light smoke look more than the blacked out one. The Dectanes on my silver car are exactly the right balance of looks and functionality and they are way brighter than the stock taillights. Unfortunately they've discontinued this option.

On my 928 I put the lightest film on them just to knock down the vibrancy of the colored plastic against the black car. That film is actually called clear but has a really light tint to it.

Smoked Dectanes

Before tint

After tint
I do not see hardly any difference on your 928

but your 911 is awesome
Old 07-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
I brought my 997.1 to the CHP after the smoked lights were installed and asked if these were going to be an issue...at first they said it would be a problem as tinting was a no no... However, these are not tinted and have the DOT stamp on them...then they measured the light output and it met all DOT standards, so all OK.

Have had them on now for about 2 years and no issues with CHP or city police.
You can't control what goes on behind you. People/Drivers, to be kind, may not pay as much attention as they otherwise should. Using darker lenses makes the lights less visible. If you like the look, great, but DOT standards can't assure anyone will notice you and it does increase the possibility that you'll get rear-ended. Good luck. Ya' roll the dice ya' take yer chances.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:43 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
You can't control what goes on behind you. People/Drivers, to be kind, may not pay as much attention as they otherwise should. Using darker lenses makes the lights less visible. If you like the look, great, but DOT standards can't assure anyone will notice you and it does increase the possibility that you'll get rear-ended. Good luck. Ya' roll the dice ya' take yer chances.
Interesting comment....a couple of weeks ago at the track a guy in a M3 following me around came up to me afterwards and said that my brake lights were intermittent...some times they were on, sometimes off. He later said that it was only when I did left turns. After thinking about it, I asked which turns, he replied which ones to which I said....I don't brake in those turns.

I like the look....
Old 07-26-2016, 10:58 PM
talkenrain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best comment in this entire thread...
Old 07-28-2016, 01:58 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

The perplexed look on his face was priceless.....
Old 07-28-2016, 12:08 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Stock looks so much better.

I have never understood this desire to darken the lights. It reminds me of what was being done during the second world war for the French resistance to avoid and elude the German occupation.

Darkening your rear light is an invitation to be rear-ended which costs a lot in a 911.

I am glad you failed the inspection. Maybe it will save your life one day.

Yves
Old 07-28-2016, 05:49 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

This IS why DOT standards exist.

You do know that the standard has minimum AND maximum limits. Mine are 40% above minimum, I don't know where the stocks rate.

I appreciate the concern....but I'm gonna keep them.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:26 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Smoke lights are a safety issue for me. As the tech said not bright enough. From the drivers perceptive behind you the smoke lights dim the overall brightness of the brakes lights. I personally would never smoke my lights to dim them. Asking for trouble.
I completely agree. Brake lights in the smoked lenses will be harder for the people behind you to see, especially during daylight.

Adding smoked taillight lenses is a big thing with HD motorcycle guys. I was riding with two friends a few years back. The bike immediately in front of me had the smoked taillight. the one in front of him had the stock red lens. I had a difficult seeing the brake like light up on the bike in front of me, but no trouble seeing the red lens of the bike in front of him, which (obviously) was further away.

That was enough to convince me. I'll never use smoked lenses, no matter how good they look.

Quick Reply: Smoked LED tail lights failed state inspection