Sponsored by:

paint matching

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 06:46 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
This is pretty lame on the paint shop’s part. The bright titanium pigment of Carrera white is easy to match. Much more so than a compounded pigment color like a warm or cream white. Under a clear coat a bright white does not fade or age, so that is generally not a factor.

Even the best painters can have an issue, typically a pro will sense a problem before applying multiple color and clear coats and correct it. Even if the discrepancy shows afterword, a decent shop would never finish stripping all the masking, replace trim parts and present the car to you, in hopes that you will accept and pay.

I always think if someone can’t do something right the first time without cutting corners, I doubt they will do it much better the second time. My dad would never let anything out of his shop if it wasn’t done to the best standard possible, even on budget jobs.

I hate being “handled” by tradesmen etc. Personally I would ask for at least a refund of the painting part of the repair and seek out a better, more honest shop to redo the job. No doubt this will cost you a lot more, but you can’t put a price on satisfaction/dissatisfaction.
This 500%…I'd never give them a second chance. The guy couldn't tell the color didn't match….unbelievable! It was most likely the best they could do so don't give them another crack at it!

If I went to a dentist and he f*ucked up the job I wouldn't go back and let him have another "try"!

Good Luck!

Tom
Old 07-22-2016, 01:43 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm more than suspicious and don't respect the fact that he passed off the excuse of plastic vs. metal making a difference. Big integrity downgrade, in my mind.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:07 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

yeah, now it's costing me more time and energy. The rear bumper on these cars is really large and noticeable.

Looking at many white cars, some low end and some high end, most bumpers don't blend perfectly with white body colors, BMW's in particular seem greyish and silvers seems more problematic.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:38 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

Voiceprint, if you study enough new cars, you will see a trend where the urethane bumper covers do seem to have a part tone or shade difference from the body panels. Part of this is from the way light hits an end panel V a side panel etc. At the factory the bumpers are painted separately from the main body. Painting a metal body is usually done with the aid of an electrostatic charge environment. The plastic parts can’t generate this effect and are painted using different equipment. On nonmetallic colors this makes little difference. However, static charges can make a difference in how metallic and mylar flakes (in metallic and pearl paints) align and reflect light. Also some urethane parts have an added flex additive in the paint that can effect color match slightly.

My boyfriend has a Lexus SUV that his family often borrows. His sister is a ditz who has damaged both the front and rear bumpers. The job of arranging the repair always falls to me. The body shop manager/foreman is an old family friend. Both times he laughingly told me he will easily beat the factory paint match. One of the things he does spray a sample card to get the color and especially the flake orientation just right. Also sanding, rubbing cleaning the plastic bumper will put a static charge on it. This can mean that even though he uses the same spray technique on it as the sample card, the charge will change the orientation of the flakes, to eliminate this he always drains off the static charge before painting. (Lexus cars do have beautiful fine grained paint and He did make a perfect match without a hint of orange peel etc.)

Again your car with nice bright pure white paint doesn’t have these challenges. But you still need an intelligent painter to get a good effect.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:33 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

probably the best angle

looking beige

CLOSE UP

different angle to show contrast

images
Old 07-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

You have your answer, it should match. The factory did it. Take it back.

I had the bumpers on my two Porsches painted a few times... perfect matches (I had other issues but that is another story). Porsche bumpers are not special, and matching over plastic was solved many years ago.

If your insurance covered this, then ask them to deal with them... unless this shop is not an "authorized" with the insurance company. If it isn't, you are screwed... I did this with my wife's Lexus...... this still makes me angry.... Anyway, if they won't do anything and you didn't use a shop authorized by your insurer, you are screwed.... then you need to get a bit threatening ..... social media, Yelp .... etc.... and then small claims court. Dude, this sucks.... I hate this stuff.

Good luck,
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-25-2016, 01:12 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bruce, hopefully they can remedy without fuss. The shop brought out the old bumper and indeed it was almost dead to the body panels, so they will have another run at it.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Did your previous bumper have an invisible "shield" on it to protect it from rock dings? If it did, and they took a reading from it, that will throw off the color match (I know this from experience).
Old 07-25-2016, 01:35 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

I don't think it ever had that coating on it, the front of the car has it, as well as the mirrors, which does make it look slightly off white, but it's still nothing like how they painted the bumper.

They brought out the old bumper this morning, and it was like night and day, if the rear quarter was not so large it wouldn't be as big an issue, but it comes up really high on the sides.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:36 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

looks fine to me
Old 07-25-2016, 10:54 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Does your local Porsche dealer have a certified Porsche body shop? In NJ Lee's Garage is a Certied Porsche body shop. They use Only Porsche paint, certified by Porsche and did my ruby red bumper. A perfect dead on match to the body. Dont settle for anything less than a perfect match.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:18 AM
door2416
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I just got my silver corvette back from a slight fender bender. They had to replace and paint the front bumper skin. They had to blend the paint into both fenders and the hood but it came out perfect. Make them do it right. (and I still love my wife) The other bad thing about it is that's all you are going to see when you look at the car until it's done right.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:50 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Got it back today looks like stock, he said they had to alter the stock paint code, but it's a dead match.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:27 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
Got it back today looks like stock, he said they had to alter the stock paint code, but it's a dead match.
Good news...... glad it worked...

"Altering stock paint code"??? wha??? ANY shop knows that you start with the code, get the formula, mix the paint, test spray, measure, adjust. Sunlight and time shift this stuff. WTF. They made it sound like they had to do something unusual and it was your car's fault. Oh well....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-30-2016, 02:04 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
A good shop will know there is a certain amount of fade or patina that needs to be factored in. I had a 25 year old car door worked on. They did it 3 times but it came out absolutely perfect in every way.

On the flip side, my lil girls Passat got dinged and she sent it to a 'preferred' shop. Its about 2 shades off of white. they just looked up the color code and shot it. I can tell, but didnt say a word. My background is in art, so im a stickler. Same thing with blending leather dyes, its an art.

Quick Reply: paint matching