Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   What’s the difference between Fister and Gundo Hack exhaust mod? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/944997-whatis-the-difference-between-fister-and-gundo-hack-exhaust-mod.html)

rbennett 07-20-2016 06:57 PM

What’s the difference between Fister and Gundo Hack exhaust mod?

Or are they the same modification with the Fister being professionally done?
I'm going to go with Fister but just wanted to ask first.

rockhouse66 07-20-2016 07:02 PM

Fister connects the muffler inlet to the outlet. Gundo adds another opening in the muffler (PSE style) and connects that to the outlet.

rbennett 07-20-2016 07:12 PM

Thanks Jim, odd but when I searched for Gundo Hack here, all the pics seem to show the bypass pipe also going between inlet and outlet just like the Fister pics on their website.

Originally Posted by rockhouse66 (Post 13465628)
Fister connects the muffler inlet to the outlet. Gundo adds another opening in the muffler (PSE style) and connects that to the outlet.

Astur 07-20-2016 08:23 PM

The results are basically the but not so the price.

I had my Gundo hack done for $80 but then again it was just for the cutting and splicing in (welding) a short piece of 2" pipe. The price was low since I already had both mufflers out of the car while installing a set of BB Cross Pipes to substitute the large rear muffler... I have a 997.2

You'll see other members that have paid very little or others that have over paid ($250-$300) for the Gundo. I guess that it all depends on the shop you use and if they have to remove/install the modified mufflers or you do some of the grunt work.

ATSR 07-20-2016 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by rbennett (Post 13465653)
Thanks Jim, odd but when I searched for Gundo Hack here, all the pics seem to show the bypass pipe also going between inlet and outlet just like the Fister pics on their website.

You are correct. The original gundo hack is the same as the Fister exhaust. The reason I went for the Fister is because I don't know anyone that I could trust to weld the bypass properly. I've seen some nightmare inducing hacks done in some posts and I wasn't willing to take the chance. If they mess it up, you are totally screwed.

Couldn't be happier with the Fister. Highly recommended. Below you can see a picture of the Fister before installation. The welds are flawless.

rbennett 07-20-2016 09:51 PM

Thanks ATSR for the before and after pics! I agree, I rather pay more for a professional OEM look.

On another note, how does CPO'd dealers view this mod? The reason I ask is I bought a CPO Porsche in 2003 and replaced all rotors with Zimmerman when wore out then promptly lost 2 wheel bearing within 6 months. The dealer argued I caused the bearing failure and I agued I restored a 930 and know what i'm doing. They lost and CPO covered my bearings. Just don't want to go through that again.

Originally Posted by ATSR (Post 13465868)
Couldn't be happier with the Fister. Highly recommended. Below you can see a picture of the Fister before installation. The welds are flawless.

Wayne Smith 07-20-2016 10:00 PM

One other difference is that Darin Fister offers the option of coating the muffler to encourage the heat to go out the tailpipe rather than into the engine bay. I'm not sure how much this helps, but it is an option.

rbennett 07-20-2016 10:09 PM

Thanks I saw that, the ceramic coat is $225 extra... I wonder if it really helps?

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith (Post 13466025)
One other difference is that Darin Fister offers the option of coating the muffler to encourage the heat to go out the tailpipe rather than into the engine bay. I'm not sure how much this helps, but it is an option.

SoCal C2S 07-21-2016 12:57 AM

I have the Fisters with the ceramic coating. The heat in the engine bay is noticeably reduced. I have only had the fan pop on about a half a dozen times since the install....now it's down to once since the duck is on. I open the lid when I get home and the radiated heat is so much less with the Fisters. $200 well spent....and they come in colors 😎.

jhbrennan 07-21-2016 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by rbennett (Post 13466006)
Thanks ATSR for the before and after pics! I agree, I rather pay more for a professional OEM look.

On another note, how does CPO'd dealers view this mod? The reason I ask is I bought a CPO Porsche in 2003 and replaced all rotors with Zimmerman when wore out then promptly lost 2 wheel bearing within 6 months. The dealer argued I caused the bearing failure and I agued I restored a 930 and know what i'm doing. They lost and CPO covered my bearings. Just don't want to go through that again.

I imagine if you have a failure in the exhaust system, dealer could claim mod caused it.

motopix 07-21-2016 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by rbennett (Post 13466035)
Thanks I saw that, the ceramic coat is $225 extra... I wonder if it really helps?

There was a noticeable difference in heat coming out the rear wheels after I installed the ceramic coated Fisters. Non-scientific but I was surprised at the difference.

ATSR 07-21-2016 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by rbennett (Post 13466006)

My car still has 1 year of CPO left and I'm not concerned at all about this. Unless my exhaust tips fall off I don't see how the dealer can deny a warranty claim for a bypass tube all the way at the end of the exhaust system.

Originally Posted by rbennett (Post 13466035)

While I'm sure it helps as other have said in this thread, I chose not to go with the ceramic coating. The OEM exhaust doesn't have ceramic coating from the factory so I don't see a reason to do it.

stairmasterman911 07-21-2016 03:41 PM

Mine has the factory sport exhaust. Is there much difference between what I already have and the Fister? Suppose it would depend on what level Fister you get, but not sure.

rockhouse66 07-21-2016 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by rbennett (Post 13465653)

I was puzzled by this too, as I thought they were the same thing. Maybe it is just semantics. Regardless, there are two approaches. The Fister which connects the inlet to the outlet or the ???? (what shall we call it?) that "looks" like a sport exhaust setup with the additional bypass pipe between the muffler blank and the outlet, without the vacuum controlled valve.

I had a nearby artisan do the sport exhaust style bypass and it cost me about the same as the Fister setup, because cutting that blank out and getting the pipe cuts/angles, etc. correct is sort of a PIA. But the results are cosmetically perfect.

If I had it do over, it would just be ordering a Fister as this seems to give a bit more sound and no real down side.

rbennett 07-21-2016 07:06 PM

Actually I did end up finding a pic of the Hack that has the bypass pipe coming out of the muffler-can into the outlet pipe, so this is probably the one you mentioned.

Originally Posted by rockhouse66 (Post 13468279)
I was puzzled by this too, as I thought they were the same thing.