Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s the difference between Fister and Gundo Hack exhaust mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 06:57 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What’s the difference between Fister and Gundo Hack exhaust mod?

Or are they the same modification with the Fister being professionally done?
I'm going to go with Fister but just wanted to ask first.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:02 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Fister connects the muffler inlet to the outlet. Gundo adds another opening in the muffler (PSE style) and connects that to the outlet.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:12 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Thanks Jim, odd but when I searched for Gundo Hack here, all the pics seem to show the bypass pipe also going between inlet and outlet just like the Fister pics on their website.

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
Fister connects the muffler inlet to the outlet. Gundo adds another opening in the muffler (PSE style) and connects that to the outlet.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:23 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

The results are basically the but not so the price.

I had my Gundo hack done for $80 but then again it was just for the cutting and splicing in (welding) a short piece of 2" pipe. The price was low since I already had both mufflers out of the car while installing a set of BB Cross Pipes to substitute the large rear muffler... I have a 997.2

You'll see other members that have paid very little or others that have over paid ($250-$300) for the Gundo. I guess that it all depends on the shop you use and if they have to remove/install the modified mufflers or you do some of the grunt work.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:40 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rbennett
Thanks Jim, odd but when I searched for Gundo Hack here, all the pics seem to show the bypass pipe also going between inlet and outlet just like the Fister pics on their website.
You are correct. The original gundo hack is the same as the Fister exhaust. The reason I went for the Fister is because I don't know anyone that I could trust to weld the bypass properly. I've seen some nightmare inducing hacks done in some posts and I wasn't willing to take the chance. If they mess it up, you are totally screwed.

Couldn't be happier with the Fister. Highly recommended. Below you can see a picture of the Fister before installation. The welds are flawless.
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2016, 09:51 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Thanks ATSR for the before and after pics! I agree, I rather pay more for a professional OEM look.

On another note, how does CPO'd dealers view this mod? The reason I ask is I bought a CPO Porsche in 2003 and replaced all rotors with Zimmerman when wore out then promptly lost 2 wheel bearing within 6 months. The dealer argued I caused the bearing failure and I agued I restored a 930 and know what i'm doing. They lost and CPO covered my bearings. Just don't want to go through that again.

Originally Posted by ATSR
Couldn't be happier with the Fister. Highly recommended. Below you can see a picture of the Fister before installation. The welds are flawless.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:00 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

One other difference is that Darin Fister offers the option of coating the muffler to encourage the heat to go out the tailpipe rather than into the engine bay. I'm not sure how much this helps, but it is an option.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:09 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Thanks I saw that, the ceramic coat is $225 extra... I wonder if it really helps?

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
One other difference is that Darin Fister offers the option of coating the muffler to encourage the heat to go out the tailpipe rather than into the engine bay. I'm not sure how much this helps, but it is an option.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:57 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I have the Fisters with the ceramic coating. The heat in the engine bay is noticeably reduced. I have only had the fan pop on about a half a dozen times since the install....now it's down to once since the duck is on. I open the lid when I get home and the radiated heat is so much less with the Fisters. $200 well spent....and they come in colors 😎.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:12 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks ATSR for the before and after pics! I agree, I rather pay more for a professional OEM look.

On another note, how does CPO'd dealers view this mod? The reason I ask is I bought a CPO Porsche in 2003 and replaced all rotors with Zimmerman when wore out then promptly lost 2 wheel bearing within 6 months. The dealer argued I caused the bearing failure and I agued I restored a 930 and know what i'm doing. They lost and CPO covered my bearings. Just don't want to go through that again.
I imagine if you have a failure in the exhaust system, dealer could claim mod caused it.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:39 AM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks I saw that, the ceramic coat is $225 extra... I wonder if it really helps?
There was a noticeable difference in heat coming out the rear wheels after I installed the ceramic coated Fisters. Non-scientific but I was surprised at the difference.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:22 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

My car still has 1 year of CPO left and I'm not concerned at all about this. Unless my exhaust tips fall off I don't see how the dealer can deny a warranty claim for a bypass tube all the way at the end of the exhaust system.

While I'm sure it helps as other have said in this thread, I chose not to go with the ceramic coating. The OEM exhaust doesn't have ceramic coating from the factory so I don't see a reason to do it.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:41 PM
stairmasterman911
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine has the factory sport exhaust. Is there much difference between what I already have and the Fister? Suppose it would depend on what level Fister you get, but not sure.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:56 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I was puzzled by this too, as I thought they were the same thing. Maybe it is just semantics. Regardless, there are two approaches. The Fister which connects the inlet to the outlet or the ???? (what shall we call it?) that "looks" like a sport exhaust setup with the additional bypass pipe between the muffler blank and the outlet, without the vacuum controlled valve.

I had a nearby artisan do the sport exhaust style bypass and it cost me about the same as the Fister setup, because cutting that blank out and getting the pipe cuts/angles, etc. correct is sort of a PIA. But the results are cosmetically perfect.

If I had it do over, it would just be ordering a Fister as this seems to give a bit more sound and no real down side.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:06 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Actually I did end up finding a pic of the Hack that has the bypass pipe coming out of the muffler-can into the outlet pipe, so this is probably the one you mentioned.

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
I was puzzled by this too, as I thought they were the same thing.

Quick Reply: What’s the difference between Fister and Gundo Hack exhaust mod?