What’s the difference between Fister and Gundo Hack exhaust mod? - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page > What’s the difference between Fister and Gundo Hack exhaust mod?
Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by: Spec Clutch

What’s the difference between Fister and Gundo Hack exhaust mod?

Old 07-21-2016, 08:41 PM
ATSR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stairmasterman911 View Post
Mine has the factory sport exhaust. Is there much difference between what I already have and the Fister? Suppose it would depend on what level Fister you get, but not sure.
If you leave the vacuum valve in your exhaust open permanently, you basically have the same as the Fister. There are no different levels of it either. They only offer the one I posted in the pic above.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:02 PM
Wayne Smith
Addict
Rennlist Member

A friend has the Sports Exhaust. I have the Fisters.

The PSE has one pipe into the muffler and two out. The tailpipes are different diameters. The larger is normal exhaust. The smaller is opened when PSE is enabled.

Non PSE cars have equal diameter tail pipes that are connected.

So PSE is two pipes from the muffler going to different two sized tailpipes and Fister is a muffler bypass pipe leading two shared tailpipes.

Close, but not quite the same.

To avoid confusion, the above is discussing each side individually. The right side tailpipes are not connected to the left side tailpipes.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:17 PM
ATSR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
A friend has the Sports Exhaust. I have the Fisters.

The PSE has one pipe into the muffler and two out. The tailpipes are different diameters. The larger is normal exhaust. The smaller is opened when PSE is enabled.

Non PSE cars have equal diameter tail pipes that are connected.

So PSE is two pipes from the muffler going to different two sized tailpipes and Fister is a muffler bypass pipe leading two shared tailpipes.

Close, but not quite the same.

To avoid confusion, the above is discussing each side individually. The right side tailpipes are not connected to the left side tailpipes.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Good to know
Old 07-21-2016, 11:54 PM
rbennett
Super User

Thanks Wayne, that was a great explanation.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:54 PM
lowbee
User

A friend has the Sports Exhaust. I have the Fisters.......
So which would you say is louder & angrier ? I heard PSE but never hear Fisters in person so just like to get your opinion or 1st hand experience comparing sound of the two.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:24 AM
Wayne Smith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee View Post
So which would you say is louder & angrier ? I heard PSE but never hear Fisters in person so just like to get your opinion or 1st hand experience comparing sound of the two.
Fisters, by a little bit.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:56 PM
86porsche
New User

So, I got the “gundo” hack last year on my 997.1 C2S. Wondering if it’s worth getting the Fisters? The Fister note sounds a little deeper and more PSE in videos I’ve seen. Has anyone had the gundo mod and then went with Fister?
Old 01-05-2018, 01:45 AM
sandwedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ATSR View Post
My car still has 1 year of CPO left and I'm not concerned at all about this. Unless my exhaust tips fall off I don't see how the dealer can deny a warranty claim for a bypass tube all the way at the end of the exhaust system.
I've had warranty repairs on all three 997's I've owned, all three having modified exhausts. Two had full Tubi systems and one Sharkwerks x-pipes/PSE.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:38 AM
Iceter
User

Originally Posted by 86porsche View Post
So, I got the “gundo” hack last year on my 997.1 C2S. Wondering if it’s worth getting the Fisters? The Fister note sounds a little deeper and more PSE in videos I’ve seen. Has anyone had the gundo mod and then went with Fister?
if you like the idea of paying several hundred Dollars to get a prettier version of what you already have, go for it.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:33 PM
docdrs
User

Originally Posted by 86porsche View Post
It is all going to depend on how big tge openings that are cut into tge inlet and outlet pipes when you do a Gundo. I imagine Fister gets to the full I.D. of the bypass pipe. When I did my Gundo I ground the openings to the full ID opening after torching a rough opening. If the quality of the opening is similar to some of those welds then less bypass will occur and different sound

Left hole almost finished , right hole still 1/8 - 3/16 to remove

Finished weld
Old 01-05-2018, 06:30 PM
jeffleept
User

Originally Posted by docdrs View Post

It is all going to depend on how big tge openings that are cut into tge inlet and outlet pipes when you do a Gundo. I imagine Fister gets to the full I.D. of the bypass pipe. When I did my Gundo I ground the openings to the full ID opening after torching a rough opening. If the quality of the opening is similar to some of those welds then less bypass will occur and different sound

Left hole almost finished , right hole still 1/8 - 3/16 to remove

Finished weld
That is one clean job...
Old 01-05-2018, 09:07 PM
LISsailor
User

FWIW, I just installled Fister in my 997.2 and could not be more pleased. Don’t waste you’re time with a “hack”. The cost difference is negligible for what you are accomplishing.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:49 AM
eagle1960
User

Originally Posted by LISsailor View Post
FWIW, I just installled Fister in my 997.2 and could not be more pleased. Don’t waste you’re time with a “hack”. The cost difference is negligible for what you are accomplishing.
Hardly negligible. My total cost was $85. I removed the cans, supplied the 2 inch stainless pipe and had a local muffler shop do the welding.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:55 AM
LISsailor
User

Originally Posted by eagle1960 View Post
Hardly negligible. My total cost was $85. I removed the cans, supplied the 2 inch stainless pipe and had a local muffler shop do the welding.
I imagine I do not nearly have the financial wearwithal as some around rennlist, however since we are talking about $100k cars and when exhaust systems usually run a few thousand dollars, to me, the difference between a low-quote $85 exhaust hack and $385 Fister factory-refurbish seems minimal at best. Do it right, do it once. Sorry, not trying to be insensitive. Just tying to give the best advise.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:56 PM
eagle1960
User

When you are all the way across the country from Fister, shipping is ridiculous, so I was looking at more like $500. If you look at DOCDRS pics and compare to Fister I would argue that it can be done right more than one way. I could certainly afford the $500, but I chose to spend the money I saved on some other "goody"!!