Sponsored by:

Current 997.2 Market (7/2016)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Bcleavenworth
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Current 997.2 Market (7/2016)

Hello All! I have become a huge Porsche lover over the years and have been searching and researching day and night. I decided a 2009 997.2 Carrera S fully optioned with PDK, Sport Chrono+, and PSE 🙏🏻 is the way to go. Where have members found the best results in sourcing their cars from? Internet sites...Dealers...EBay...? Please Help!
Old 07-09-2016, 04:03 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I just purchased a 2010 997.2 C2 and found it on cargurus.com as a Porsche dealer in Westlake Villege.

I also monitored the top 3 Porsche forums as I would rather buy from an enthusiast where I can see some history of ownership in the forum threads if I was going to buy from a non dealer.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Bcleavenworth
3rd Gear

Congrats on your purchase, CarGurus has some great listings. I am in Arizona and am surprised on the lack of vehicles available regionally in the West. I can't wait to find the gem I've been looking for though, any tips or leads is much appreciated.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:02 PM
LaurenceG
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bought a 9000 mile 2009 Carrera S with manual trans, Cream White,
Natural brown leather, sports seats, nav, Bose, etc.
Found it at Fisher Imports in Laguna Beach/AutoTrader.
Overpaid but very nice car.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:10 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks! Im located in central costal CA and could not find anything local so I had to be open to the LA market 320mi away, I located 2 and then just made it a weekend journey to get the one I wanted. Are you looking for a CPO Porsche?

Originally Posted by Bcleavenworth
Congrats on your purchase, CarGurus has some great listings. I am in Arizona and am surprised on the lack of vehicles available regionally in the West. I can't wait to find the gem I've been looking for though, any tips or leads is much appreciated.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Recently Bought a 09 997.2 c4s white/blue 8800miles - was a trade in at a local Land Rover dealer - good luck
Old 07-09-2016, 10:53 PM
ghostcow
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found my 2009 c2s through cargurus.com, was a trade-in at the local BMW dealer. It showed up, little overpriced so didn't sale, they dropped it 5K and then I negotiated it down another 2 or 3 K, they are big volume place so I think were just looking to clear it off lot without being to worried about wringing out every last penny. Best of luck, I still keep looking as cargurus keeps sending me emails, love it.
Cheers
Old 07-09-2016, 11:46 PM
D3RP
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LaurenceG
Cream White,
Natural brown leather.
Lovely color combination.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:48 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend watching the classifieds on both here and 6Speed as it is always best to buy from a fellow enthusiast if possible. When searching for mine I also stalked Cargurus, Autotrader, Cars.com, and Ebay until I found what I wanted. The Porsche USA website also has a good search tool to allow you to search preowned inventory at Porsche dealerships nationwide. I thought that I wouldn't find my ideal car which was similar to yours (low miles/excellent condition/loaded with PSE/PDK/Sport Chrono/specific color combination/etc) but with some patience I eventually did.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:05 AM
w1234ale
Advanced

Personally I would spend a little extra and buy a CPO car from a dealer. My car has had all the right service records etc. but after 1000 miles of driving I just had it towed to the dealership because I wouldn't start after stopping for gas--might be the starter. While it was frustrating it is comforting that I will not have spend any money to get it fixed and I got a loaner car.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Berosucci
Advanced

I bought my first p-car last year. My search took a year plus to find the right car. I used any of the various web-sites that list cars, went to local porsche dealers to test drive as well as an indy shop that also sells them. It took me a while to settle on the 997.2 after driving 997.1s, 997.2s and 991s of different types (base, S, 4S). I found that the nice cars that are priced right or near right go quickly so I expanded my search nationally, knowing I would need to get a PPI locally and have it shipped. Since the nicer, well-priced cars sell quickly, you get into the scenario of being the first or one of the first to look at the car on a lot (or from an individual) and that makes negotiating price difficult. I made two reasonable offers that we were never able to get the deal done on - they were reasonable but the seller was not as interested in negotiating due to what I discussed above. Anyway, I ended up buying at a nearby dealer that certified the car within a cope of days after it showed up on their lot - they had an okay price, but I was able to negotiate further.

FYI - I agree with the CPO comment or would get a warranty. I had a couple of things fixed under warranty - to my surprise I needed to have the driver's seat frame replaced. I noticed a slight rocking sensation a couple of months into ownership - I figured something was loose, they said the frame needed to be replaced. Happy to have the warranty for that.

Last edited by Berosucci; 07-10-2016 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added copmment about warranty
Old 07-10-2016, 10:40 AM
DtecD
Intermediate

Has anyone dealt with vroom.com? They offer to find the car for you (though I enjoy the hunt). They have an interesting list of founders too.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:10 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've found that individual sellers don't offer much, if any, advantage over buying CPO from a Porsche dealer. Surprisingly, dealer prices are very competitive, or sometimes lower than what a (for some reason, often arrogant)individual thinks their car should demand. Sure, the individual seller should have intimate knowledge about the history of the car, but I was surprised that many don't know squat about them other than annual oil changes are required. I found many (most) individual sellers behind on the 40K mile service and most with tires near the end of life- CPO takes care of all of that for you, and can factor in several thousand $$ price advantage.

I know you'll get advice to PPI even the CPO cars, but I didn't bother with the CPO I landed on. I was able to get copies of DME readouts which was my main "want to see", and I felt the P dealer did a pretty good job with verifying the accident-free history of the car.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I found and got all my three 911s from Auto Trader.
My current 997S was from California. Im in the east coast and flew there in CA to check it and ended up buying it. Shipped it back here to the East Coast. It was the factory installed aerokit that was the seller for me and made it worth the trip.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I was searching all kinds of websites for a year before pulling the trigger back in March. I ended up finding the car I wanted on Cargurus, but many of those cars show up on other car listing sites too.

Quick Reply: Current 997.2 Market (7/2016)