Sponsored by:

A really cool Type 997 project?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Cookie Porsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A really cool Type 997 project?

For many years we have been building 911 road and race cars. We have modified and upgraded many new type 911 models - mostly with performance in mind.

So we decided to try something new. Take a clean type 997 Carrera S and make it special - something classic and sporty, but true to the 911 heritage. So the basics had to be 2wd, manual, coupe, etc... The Porsche 997 Carrera S is the ideal starter because it has round(ish) headlights.

This is a few days ago. Spotless, no accidents... but a bit banana'ish.

And yesterday this is what was left:

I am leaving the new colour as a surprise - the idea is a truly classic and unique colour, but this is what has happened so far:

1) New H&R suspension.
2) New wheels (that one is obvious).
3) Sports exhaust and light engine upgrades (IMS, ECU map, Intake)
4) Subtle bodywork changes - more to follow
5) Interior upgrades - trim pieces in body colours, sport steering wheel, short shifter, etc.

Now I need your help - what would you do to make this the ultimate modern 911 classic? The idea is not ultimate power, but rather the best and most beautiful all-round 911.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:59 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

sub'd
I'd use the 997 Sport Classic as a guideline/muse.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:34 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get rid of the fuel filler door. Move/hide. GT3/Aerokit front with third radiator and smile vent.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:43 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I beg of you PLEASE do a wide body...cutting/trimming fenders and doing a metal wide body treatment to the car. Years ago you would see many of the air cooled none wide body 930 and 964 being "widened", or adding slant nose or other... but no one doing it with 997. Not suggesting a RWB wide body (Not that extreme) and not suggesting a bolt on like kit.....but a few inches front and rear flared would be something NO one has done. This would be unique.....and rather the big wing a subtle duck tail in combo to the wide body treatment would be slick...

This but on a lesser scale as this was over a half a million dollar build...and lesser wing, Duck style...

Interior full rennline pedal kit and boards, alcantara accents and CF trim pieces, and a GT style steering wheel by DCT Motorsports also wrapped alcantara with yellow center mark... NO painted vents please.

That said, I may beat you too it

Originally Posted by Cookie Porsche
For many years we have been building 911 road and race cars. We have modified and upgraded many new type 911 models - mostly with performance in mind.

So we decided to try something new. Take a clean type 997 Carrera S and make it special - something classic and sporty, but true to the 911 heritage. So the basics had to be 2wd, manual, coupe, etc... The Porsche 997 Carrera S is the ideal starter because it has round(ish) headlights.

This is a few days ago. Spotless, no accidents... but a bit banana'ish.

And yesterday this is what was left:

I am leaving the new colour as a surprise - the idea is a truly classic and unique colour, but this is what has happened so far:

1) New H&R suspension.
2) New wheels (that one is obvious).
3) Sports exhaust and light engine upgrades (IMS, ECU map, Intake)
4) Subtle bodywork changes - more to follow
5) Interior upgrades - trim pieces in body colours, sport steering wheel, short shifter, etc.

Now I need your help - what would you do to make this the ultimate modern 911 classic? The idea is not ultimate power, but rather the best and most beautiful all-round 911.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:18 PM
nk215
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for interior, I always wanted to move the PCM somewhere else (frunk or push it back) and put in an iPad mini in there. The reason to keep the PCM around is for seat memory so unneeded parts/housing can be hacked off.

Upgrade audio system (speakers + amp).

Cut floor panels to make vents and install a door there. The doors can be open and close by foot. Vent on the floor panel + a 1” or so of window gaps = cooler car in the summer parking lot.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:19 PM
WV997S
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

Anxious for this project!
Old 06-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I'd use the 997 Sport Classic as a guideline/muse.

nwGTS nailed it in the first reply. my job is done here.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:45 PM
Cookie Porsche
Instructor

nwGTS - I like some of the Sport Classic bits, but I had the OE 19" modern Fuchs wheels on a Turbo and they were VERY heavy - so you lost a bit of that classic 911 feel (nimbleness...). Also - trying to stay away from 'modern' look slats and air intakes. But the wing - wait till you see our take on the Duck!

Philster - I like the idea about the fuel filler. Have to think about that one. We have also changed the front nose - less slats + removed the head light washers for a cleaner look. Will post pics later.

mickfluff - I have a 997.2 GTS and absolutely love the widebody look. That will have to wait till our Project 2 though. We are widening the edges slightly to fit flush wheels with a slightly lower ride. And the smaller Duck type wing is a done deal. I'll take your interior challenge - we are only exterior colour coding the slim trim strip around the gear lever and the 3x plastic trim pieces on the ALCANTARA trimmed steering wheel.

nk215 - definitely upgraded sound (subtle but potent) and have been looking at a new look replacement PCM. Haven't found anything suitable yet - will post suggestions. That floor panel idea... need a drink to get past that idea!
Old 06-20-2016, 05:26 PM
CheckbookMechanic
Advanced

For, it'd be:
- ducktail
- Fikse FM10 wheels, black center polished lip (had them on my air cooled and loved them)
- Ohlins R&T coilovers w/ supporting suspension changes
- X51-ish engine mods: intake, TB, headers, exhaust. The exhaust being something with a little rumble and noise when you get on it.
- upgrading a few interior trim pieces to carbon fiber
Old 06-20-2016, 05:30 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Kinda like this.... IMO this kid did it right.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...eimagined.html

Originally Posted by CheckbookMechanic
For, it'd be:
- ducktail
- Fikse FM10 wheels, black center polished lip (had them on my air cooled and loved them)
- Ohlins R&T coilovers w/ supporting suspension changes
- X51-ish engine mods: intake, TB, headers, exhaust. The exhaust being something with a little rumble and noise when you get on it.
- upgrading a few interior trim pieces to carbon fiber
Old 06-20-2016, 05:32 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

The 911R is my current favourite Porsche. I'd use that car as inspiration for a 'modern-classic' 997.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:24 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Sunroof delete!!!
Old 06-20-2016, 08:24 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff

I'm so effing envious of that ride. Definitely look to this for inspiration. Dude's designs are on point.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:31 PM
nismosd
Instructor

+1 Amazing car!!!
Old 06-20-2016, 11:55 PM
CheckbookMechanic
Advanced

Yup, that is almost exactly what I'd do.

Quick Reply: A really cool Type 997 project?