mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 997.1 C4S Potential Purchase - Opinions Wanted

Hi All: I'm looking at this:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...oor/1172673928

Canadian dollars.

Quoted from the owner:
The vehicle as you will see had an incident in 2011. Front drivers side. The front 1/4 panel was replaced, color matched etc. The only thing is the panel doesn't have the 3m coating on it that the hood, bumper and opposite quarter panel has. I have owned this car since August 2012 and have put 50,000 km on it. I can tell you there are no ill effects from the accident. Car handles great, no shakes, shimmies, rattles, or noises from the front end. It handles great.

Car had new fluids (Transmission, diff's, brake fluid, coolant flush, etc.), plugs and coils at 102,000 km. Other than that no repairs we made or required in the last 50,000 km. Clutch is still good, was replaced before I purchased it. Tires have over 50% tread left on them.

Car has always been slow to start (has never not started but wanted it fixed) and thus it is now getting a new cables for the starter, battery and alternator. Common problem for that vintage of 911, so that problem will be fixed by end of day.

I do not have full service records only receipts for what has been done since I have owned it.
I'm a former lowly 996.2 owner, so be gentle.

Obviously I'd get it PPI'd @ a local Indy. Anything to watch out for? The two items holding me back are:
1. Not a 997.2
2. 106,000km (65,000 miles)

2. isn't a huge issue, as my 996 had 112,000km when I lost it, but I do about 6,000 miles per year...
Old 06-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a 997.1 and have never driven a .2. I am a very happy person.

A .2 would be at least twice the price. They might be a little better but at what price difference?
The miles shouldn't scare you because the price is already low. Condition of the car is the main item to analyze.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:36 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

I'm used to doing a fair amount of maintenance / repair work myself on the 996 (coils, WP, suspension, exhaust, intake, oil, etc). Is all of that still doable on the 997?

Is the IMS actually an issue with these guys?

It's either this, or wait / save for another year or two and spring for a 997.2. When I lost he 996 I was really looking forward to the .2, but I know the .1 is still an awesome car, and I'm not concerned about it being "mint", so the damage record is a non-issue for me if it's been properly repaired. I haven't seen the car yet (different city) but the price leaves me room for exhaust and a minor repair bill or two.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:47 PM
mpath
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Looks like below market here, maybe because of the accident; not suggesting there's anything wrong about that, as the owner seems pretty transparent about it. FWIW, I bought my 06 C4S last year from Weissach in Vancouver for more. PM me if you want more info.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs
Hi All: I'm looking at this:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...oor/1172673928

Canadian dollars.

Quoted from the owner:

I'm a former lowly 996.2 owner, so be gentle.

Obviously I'd get it PPI'd @ a local Indy. Anything to watch out for? The two items holding me back are:
1. Not a 997.2
2. 106,000km (65,000 miles)

2. isn't a huge issue, as my 996 had 112,000km when I lost it, but I do about 6,000 miles per year...
You (or the PPI guy) has to give the car a thorough road test.

You must spend time with the car/in the car with its engine running some of this time on the road.

A 15 mile test ride followed by a 15 mile test drive -- same route in both cases -- goes a long way to giving you an opportunity to "know" the car.

It also gives the DME time to flag any critical system/engine problems and sets the stage for a better PPI. The idle time, test ride time, and then test drive time should have the engine running about an hour and this gives any leaks a chance to make themselves known and be caught by a PPI.

65K miles is not that many miles. I have a 2003 996 Turbo with over 145K miles and it runs just fine. My 2002 Boxster has over 301K miles and still runs just fine. Of the two cars the Turbo has required more time in the shop. Neither car has required any engine work, although the Boxster did require a new VarioCam solenoid and actuator at approx. 260K miles. Both cars have their original clutches, too.

Provided the basic platform checks out with a little luck that car should cover another 65K or more miles with no serious issues.

Road test. Road test. Road test. You have to be sure the car doesn't manifest any signs of any troubles/issues on the road.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:24 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Oh. I forgot to mention - cost of front end repair was $11,000, to give you an idea as to the extent of it.

I've got a buddy checking the car out tonight, then the seller is on vacation until Tuesday. Once he's back, if everything continues to look good, PPI.

I just have to convince myself it's okay to not get the .2. Will I regret not waiting on a .2? I know this is subjective but really it's my only concern...
Old 06-17-2016, 12:59 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple fix; test drive a .1 and .2 and see which one makes you (more) happy,
Me personal like the 997.2 development but I like the classic line of the 997.1 more; that is personal.
The DFI engine in the 997.2 is certainly a better design but I am happy with my 997.1 4S so far. There is not much difference with a 996 as the 997 is just a development of the 996.
The potential bore scoring issues is discussed here many many times, do a PPI and see if there are signs of it (left exhaust pipe more black than the right one for example - if not cleaned by the owner). Put the car on the ramps and ask to pull out the spark plugs on the right bank, might cost you 100 USD to do so, an overhauled engine cost 20 000 USD, your call. Personally I assume the damage is properly fixed by Porsche if the repair was 11000 USD, for sure this must have been documented.
Test drive it and see if it suits you! Good luck.

Quick Reply: 997.1 C4S Potential Purchase - Opinions Wanted