Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have issues with the frunk refusing to open once in a while?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 12:45 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Anyone have issues with the frunk refusing to open once in a while?

It's happened 3 or 4 times - frunk will not open for an hour or 2 and then once you park it in a garage/cool place it lets you in. Any solutions?
Old 05-25-2016, 01:04 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Weird. Sounds like hot metal expansion causing something to stick. Is the gap around the front hood even throughout?

Old 05-25-2016, 03:45 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Do you hear the release mechanism engage? Coincidence with an intermittently failing switch or remote?
Old 05-25-2016, 04:20 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,145 Likes on 727 Posts

Is the problem with only the switch next to the driver's seat, only the remote, or both?

My switch needs to be pulled up and pushed back to work. My remote has always been fine.

Heat works against solenoids, especially if the battery is marginal or there are connections issues (there is no such thing as a good connection).
Old 05-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Is the problem with only the switch next to the driver's seat, only the remote, or both?

My switch needs to be pulled up and pushed back to work. My remote has always been fine.

Heat works against solenoids, especially if the battery is marginal or there are connections issues (there is no such thing as a good connection).
It's both the switch and remote that won't open it when it happens.

Great, so far it seems mine is special. I tell you what if it locks me out from grabbing a beer on my next roadtrip pit stop i'm dumping the car.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:19 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
It's both the switch and remote that won't open it when it happens.
Good, so you can rule out the switches. It's either the electrical locking mechanism or a misalignment of the hood/latch mechanism that is made worse while sitting in the hot Florida sun. If your car is accident free I vote the locking mechanism is going.

By the way, there is an emergency manual release cable in the LF wheel well underneath the plastic liner. It's a pain to get to often requiring the wheel and liner to be removed. Just be aware in case your frunk opening completely dies.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:39 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,145 Likes on 727 Posts

And, of course, keep your wheel lock key in the glove box.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:07 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
Good, so you can rule out the switches. It's either the electrical locking mechanism or a misalignment of the hood/latch mechanism that is made worse while sitting in the hot Florida sun. If your car is accident free I vote the locking mechanism is going.

By the way, there is an emergency manual release cable in the LF wheel well underneath the plastic liner. It's a pain to get to often requiring the wheel and liner to be removed. Just be aware in case your frunk opening completely dies.
Para, while it still works a little, maybe now's the time to find that emergency release, attach a secondary wire to it and bring it out to somewhere you can gain access to it without the normal gyrations required. Wouldn't want you to miss out on a cold, frosty one and then have to dump the car.

I also think I saw somewhere the the release is accessible through the driver's side front parking/turn/fog light assembly hole, as that would be much easier than having to remove the wheel & liner. Maybe check that out. To get the front light out, you just need an old hotel card key, at least that's what I use as it's a bit stiffer than the card Porsche gives us for the purpose, and the LED front light assemblies fit tighter than the OEM ones so the card will get a bit beat-up over time. Better to not use one of your credit cards because of this.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Para82
Race Car

Good information, thanks people.

Quick Reply: Anyone have issues with the frunk refusing to open once in a while?