Sponsored by:

C2S Alignment Settings

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:11 AM
dmansr25sd
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2S Alignment Settings

I picked up my 997.1 C2S about 4 months ago and after two track days my tires are on their last legs. There is significant outer shoulder wear on the rear tires with pretty even wear across the front tires. Is this normal/desired camber?

Should I get the alignment adjusted and any recommendations on settings?
Should I wait for before or after replacing the tires or no difference?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2016, 01:13 AM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Align with new tires, add camber in the rear
Old 05-24-2016, 10:58 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I was having the same issue. I installed GT3 Lower Control Arms to get more negative camber up front. I think the max stock amount is -1 degree and now I'm sitting at -2 degrees in front. I also added more to the rear and am at -2.5. My tire wear has been much more even especially up front.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:35 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

Alignment is a complex topic that would require a bit more information/discussion. But one quick comment if your wear is primarily on the shoulders: some street tires e.g. Michelin Pilot Super Sports have a soft sidewall that will allow them to roll over at lower pressures. Some amount of that is just inevitable with that type of tire and track usage. I don't know what tires or pressures you are running, but you could possibly save a little shoulder wear by either upping pressures just a bit (there are tradeoffs) or taking it easy until the pressures/temps have come up.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:55 PM
dmansr25sd
AutoX

Thanks for the info. I am running Super Sports and use the door card air pressures of 34 & 40psi f/r. Check out the pictures below of the driver side front & rear. I have admittedly as a track noob run aggressive before really warming the tires up. I also found lots of shimmy in the rear in the corners which felt like the sidewall rolling.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:16 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I was having the same issue. I installed GT3 Lower Control Arms to get more negative camber up front. I think the max stock amount is -1 degree and now I'm sitting at -2 degrees in front. I also added more to the rear and am at -2.5. My tire wear has been much more even especially up front.
Hows the rear tyre wear with that camber?
Old 05-28-2016, 04:41 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

You should be starting with lower tire pressures than what's on the door card. When I was running street tires I think I started 6-8lbs lower than what was on the door card. Depends on the track, but don't start cold where you want to be hot.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

For track use and proper handling ..... Even works great on the street.... You want more neg camber in front than rear.

I never ever ran more than -2 in rear and -2.5 up front was the most I ran.

Rule of thumb good starting point for a 997 car is -2.5 camber front and -2 rear. Zero toe front and .5mm toe in per side rear and caster at 8 degree front.

Run your events check tire temps, wear and go from there.

It all depends on the other suspension mods, tires, driver and the track
Old 05-28-2016, 10:13 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
For track use and proper handling ..... Even works great on the street.... You want more neg camber in front than rear.

Rule of thumb good starting point for a 997 car is -2.5 camber front and -2 rear. Zero toe front and .5mm toe in per side rear and caster at 8 degree front.

Is that suspension dependent? I'm running -2 degrees up front and -2.5 in the rear. Car seems pretty balanced and predictable in and out of traction loss. I'm on a stock PASM set up and imagine it leans a little more than a damptronic set up.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:19 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Is that suspension dependent? I'm running -2 degrees up front and -2.5 in the rear. Car seems pretty balanced and predictable in and out of traction loss. I'm on a stock PASM set up and imagine it leans a little more than a damptronic set up.
That's the basic starting point for 997 and even 996 cars. However go look at F1, Indy, IMSA cars...all road race type of cars run more camber up front than rear...been this way for decades. Even yes rear engine cars.

However the -2.5 from and -2 rear is the starting point to adjust from...but NEVER more camber in rear than front.

I went back and looked at my various alignments....with Nitto NT01 245/305 tires running 32/33 hot max...I ended up running -2.3 front and -1.8 rear. Also been told and looking at other set ups to keep front torero camber diff no more than .5 degree diff. toes front was zero and rear was around .5mm in or 14 degrees in. When I ran 19" Michelin Sport Cups I ran -2.5 front and -2 rear but different sway bar settings and even ended up changing those specs a little...but hated those tires on the track compared to even Toyo R888 but Nitto NT01 are so much better.

Hope this helps....
Old 06-01-2016, 06:32 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

solid, spot on advice here given

these cars thrive on accurate, more-aggressive-than-stock alignments, and sticky tires

lets them be driven and enjoyed like they are meant to be...

Quick Reply: C2S Alignment Settings