Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Rant!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:29 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can definitely find used winter rims for less than $2k. Go with 18 inch rims to save on tire prices and handle pot holes better. It definitely changes the handling characteristics of the car, but it makes it that much sweeter switching back to summers.

I got Porsche 18" rims last November for $600. They were narrow body offsets on my wide body car, but the narrow profile should help it cut through snow better too.

Also, I got tpms sensors from OE Wheels, so far so good. ~$120 for 4 sensors. They do unlearn on occasion, but they always sync back up eventually, if you don't want that annoyance, I'd go with HUF atleast. Next time, I'll probably pay extra for HUF sensors.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:46 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by rjshar

Also, I got tpms sensors from OE Wheels, so far so good. ~$120 for 4 sensors. They do unlearn on occasion, but they always sync back up eventually, if you don't want that annoyance, I'd go with HUF atleast. Next time, I'll probably pay extra for HUF sensors.

Ha, yes, I'm returning the same cheap garbage from OE Wheels. EON cheapo sensors. One never registered, the other 3 will sync up whenever it feels like it.

Go with the Tire Rack Huf Sensors. $70/ea and they sync up in 2 blocks. I had Costco install them for $60. Just tell them to install the sensors and don't let them tell you they can't activate it with there scan tool. The TPMS from Tire Rack is plug and play, just install it and sync it up in the car.

OE Wheels sells the same Huf ones for more, over $300.

On a side note, the cheapo EON sensors were smaller than the HUF sensors, maybe they have a smaller battery with reduced life....?
Old 05-26-2016, 12:14 AM
ghostcow
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3Series,
Cool. Just to be clear the installer shouldn't need to do anything with them? Just install them, they will come out of hibernation, and then drive the car after putting the car into the learning mode?

I did order the Hufs/Beru so I'm hoping it will be easy and last 5+ years.

Hmm, never thought of Costco but that might be a good option.

rjshar-
Already have the tires- 295/30R-19 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II 240
235/35R-19 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II 240

So looking for some matches for these. Will be mainly driven in Pacific NW rain and very unlikely to do track days or anything while on these, well maybe a little.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2016, 06:27 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My understanding is the newest gen TPMS sensors mechanically detect rotation (motion) and will come out of hibernation, and then auto-shut down when they have not been used in a while - so sitting on the shelf doesn't use up their battery. Once the right freq ones are fitted, driving the car will cause the car's wheel well sensors to detect them and connect up (assuming you don't have another set of electrically active TPMS sensors laying around inside the car or glove box to confuse the poor car computers.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:25 PM
ghostcow
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Success! Thanks for everyone's help. They sync'd up even before I was out of the parking lot. Sadly, I did cost me $64 for install and $284 for the sensors so only saved $800 by not going to the dealer. Hmm...what to buy what to buy.

Cheers, have a great weekend.
Thank you to all Veterans for your service and sacrifices.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:50 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad everything worked out for you! I also think it's a great idea to have a good relationship with your local tire shop.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:25 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostcow
Cheers, have a great weekend.
Thank you to all Veterans for your service and sacrifices.
As a USAF Vietnam Vet, I thank you for your gratitude and recognition in the name of my fallen brothers.

Quick Reply: TPMS Rant!