Sponsored by:

Radio / speaker upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 04:58 PM
bommerts
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Radio / speaker upgrade questions

I've done a lot of searches and can't find the info I'm looking for. I'm going to upgrade the sound system and thought I'd ask here before going any further. Any help is much appreciated.

I have the non-bose system;

1) I have read that there are some non-bose systems that have an amp and some that do not. Is this correct? How can I tell which system I have?

2) Assuming no amp, can I simply install a new head unit then use the existing speaker wiring to upgrade the factory speakers?

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:59 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...3-22-15-a.html

What I followed to replace the speakers in my 2007. Should be same/similar for non Bose though.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:19 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Kellen
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...3-22-15-a.html

What I followed to replace the speakers in my 2007. Should be same/similar for non Bose though.
The amp is either under the passenger's seat or in the frunk.

If you're looking to put in a nice system with HU, amp, component speakers, sub, etc., I can help you. Otherwise the budget audio thread above is decent.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:09 AM
bommerts
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
The amp is either under the passenger's seat or in the frunk.

If you're looking to put in a nice system with HU, amp, component speakers, sub, etc., I can help you. Otherwise the budget audio thread above is decent.
Thanks. I'll check both. Is the amp well-hidden or in plain view?
Old 05-22-2016, 11:16 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

unless you replace everything I dont think youre going to have much difference.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:13 AM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had been thinking to upgrade the audio system in my 997, but after hours of research and consultation I finally realized that 911 generation is not the right car for audio upgrades: Cabin is too small and too noisy from tires and engine, doors are not well insulated for audio, etc. Save time and money and keep the OEM equipment, and enjoy the NA engine. But if you are ready to spend some money anyway...go with a good exhaust system.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:32 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by MemeMagno
I had been thinking to upgrade the audio system in my 997, but after hours of research and consultation I finally realized that 911 generation is not the right car for audio upgrades: Cabin is too small and too noisy from tires and engine, doors are not well insulated for audio, etc. Save time and money and keep the OEM equipment, and enjoy the NA engine. But if you are ready to spend some money anyway...go with a good exhaust system.
For $500 or so I upgraded all the speakers in my car including the subwoofers. Much improved sound. The stock Bose system is very inferior and while I prefer the sound of the engine to the speakers, it's nice to be able to enjoy better sound. To each their own.

Last edited by kellen; 05-23-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:05 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by MemeMagno
Its all about articulation. A more articulate system, aka high fidelity, is easier to listen to and at lower volumes. The ear brain system doesn't have to work as hard when the system is reproducing an accurate signal. Even if you like talk radio, you will appreciate a higher fidelity system. It is just easier on the nerves and ears particularly in a noisy environment like a sports car.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 05-23-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Radio / speaker upgrade questions