Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are they actively trying to kill me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:32 AM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Are they actively trying to kill me?

Reviewing my first year of P-car ownership I increasingly feel like other drivers are actively trying to kill me. I never had this while driving my BMWs or other equally fast (albeit less prominently so) cars.

Just today I had a bad experience in a nice canyon (downhill). I caught up with a recent Alfa Giulietta doing a relatively slowly 30mph/ 50kmh, which I didn't mind. After following the Alfa in adequate distance around some twisties there was a straight of about 150m / yard suitable for overtaking, which I attempted given the relatively low speed of the other car. After me being parallel to the Alfa its driver suddenly fully accelerated (mind you it was downhill) and wouldn't let me move back into the right-hand lane. So seeing the straight end very fast I had no other option but to change back into my lane thereby thwarting the other driver (I could have been braking hard instead in hindsight). There was imminent danger hitting oncoming traffic at the next curve. Luckily it all ended well but I am still trembling just thinking about it.

This is the most drastic event so far but sadly I had many situations driving the P-car other when drivers turned off their brains and behaved like zombies when seeing a P-car (speeding, tailgating, not yielding to the right, oncoming traffic swerving into my lane etc.). I decided for myself I must drive much more defensively. What are your experiences in this regard and how do you deal with them?
Old 05-11-2016, 07:18 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is NOT your imagination.

I have driven over 1 million Kilometers in my life, and it is obvious that my experience in the Porsche is always worse in many ways.

People are always driving too close (tailgating, riding my bumper) or they just make too much of an effort to race, or close off an opening or just prove something (men in trucks are the worst).

Last edited by Philster; 05-11-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:50 AM
nk215
Instructor

My experience is similar (I am only 500 miles/3 months or so in Porsche ownership). If the two lanes merge into one, I can bet that the other male-driven-vehicle will speed up and try to get in front of me.

I am driving it more defensively. This doesn't happen with my Cayenne S, E46 etc.

I think people are trying to make sure you can't pass them because they think you are going to their houses to steal their girls.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:53 AM
one-rennlist
Instructor

The disturbing thing is people are aggressive in the first place just because it's a P car, and not as a result of some situation on the road. This makes it extremely hard for me to predict other peoples behavior.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:57 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nk215
I think people are trying to make sure you can't pass them because they think you are going to their houses to steal their girls.
Darn. My evil plan has been discovered!
T
Old 05-11-2016, 09:11 AM
DB's997
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happens to me all the time. it is so bad that sometimes I think I would be happier without the Porsche.....
Just last week, I went for a nice long drive in the country side. Long straightaways connected by sweeping 90 degree turns. I am cruising along at 65 when a pickup truck decides to attache himself to my bumper. We come to a 90 degree turn and I put the 911 into the turn agressively, leaving the hayseed in the dust out of the corner. I put about a quarter mile between hayseed and myself. Well, he accelerated to 110 and races up in my bumper, swerving at the very last millimeter to avoid hitting me. Then goes down the road leaving me in the dust. If I were in any other vehicle, this would not have happened. I get really sick of the abuse handed out to my Porsche.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

I rarely have any incidents like this. Sometimes I find the perception of aggressiveness is just people checking out the car. They might ride a little close or pass and linger, but by far and large, I get a thumbs up from passengers/ kids.

It's part of the fun of owning cars like this. Similar to when people might take an extra look in the parking lot. 99% of the time, they're not looking to key it, they're admiring it.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:40 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, I have lost count of how many GTIs, BRZs, and BMWs like to zoom past me thinking they are hot shots...
Old 05-11-2016, 09:43 AM
DB's997
Racer

Those don't bother me so much as the minivans, civics and pickup trucks!
Everyone must prove they have a faster automobile in Houston. Pathetic losers,
who do they think they are fooling when the civic gets it over the 911?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:49 AM
Switchfoot614
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Houston is BAD for taking the P car out. I have two speeds.. moderate (leave me alone) and you got too close. This "condition" is far worse with the GT2 wing on the back of my car now; it's simply a magnet.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:56 AM
DB's997
Racer

I would guess Houston is not the only place where As*Holes hover over Porsches. But there are too many for me to feel comfortable. I bought my first handgun after purchasing my first Porsche in 2011. Now I carry a .45 in my glove box all the time. One time I had an as*Hole start tailgating me and following me around. He would accelerate up to my bumber and back off, like he was going to ram me. I was not carrying a weapon at the time. Followed me for several miles, doing the same thing. Man, it gets tiring.....
Now the Glock is with me all the time.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:59 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I dunno', offhand I can't think of anyone being extra aggressive b/c I am in my Carrera. Then again, I spend half my time in in Protest Central (Oakland/Berkeley/SF) and try to keep as low and courteous a profile as possible. When/if you appreciate how angry people are, seems like at life in general, then I think if you are fortunate enough to have the means to drive what they think is an uber expensive car, it helps to tread lightly. In the grand scheme of life, sorry, but given how many people are just hanging on in so many ways now and in the past, and the aggression therein manifest, ill-will on the roads should not be suprising.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:03 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Some people are just trying to get a closer look at the car. Some are trying to goad you in to racing or opening it up to see what your car can do. Others are simply being jerks because perhaps they see you are being a jerk for having the audacity to own a 911. But yes, it is noticed that people tend to drive more aggressively around me when I'm in my 911 vs. when I'm in my truck or my wife's SUV. I think for the most part it is people trying to get a look and get you to drop the hammer so they can see what the car can do though. I had a dude in a turbo diesel truck full on LAUNCH out of the hole when we were at a stoplight next to each other. I heard him building boost next to me and was thinking no way is this guy going to do that... and yep, sure enough he acted like we were at a quartermile track somewhere. I think I took off extra slow, to show him that I wasn't going to race but I'm sure he wanted me to.

People want the "I beat a Porsche" story. Don't give it to them.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:56 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Some people are just trying to get a closer look at the car. Some are trying to goad you in to racing or opening it up to see what your car can do. Others are simply being jerks because perhaps they see you are being a jerk for having the audacity to own a 911. But yes, it is noticed that people tend to drive more aggressively around me when I'm in my 911 vs. when I'm in my truck or my wife's SUV. I think for the most part it is people trying to get a look and get you to drop the hammer so they can see what the car can do though. I had a dude in a turbo diesel truck full on LAUNCH out of the hole when we were at a stoplight next to each other. I heard him building boost next to me and was thinking no way is this guy going to do that... and yep, sure enough he acted like we were at a quartermile track somewhere. I think I took off extra slow, to show him that I wasn't going to race but I'm sure he wanted me to.

People want the "I beat a Porsche" story. Don't give it to them.
This sums it up really well. Some just want to get a look, but a LOT of people seem to feel the need to signal their disapproval/jealousy/ego etc. I get a ton of people riding my bumper aggressively, or deliberately blocking me from passing. At least once during every trip in the 911 (weekend car only) some asshat wants to race. Like the poster said above I usually don't give them the satisfaction.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:06 AM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I was at a stop light in my 914-6 when a BMW3 stopped beside me. He wanted action and uncharacteristically, I bit. I don't think he knew what a 2.5L six with short gears in a 2000# car will do. Must have been embarrassing for him, especially at the first turn.

Quick Reply: Are they actively trying to kill me?