Sponsored by:

Replaced 997 Engine Mounts – My Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:21 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Replaced 997 Engine Mounts – My Thoughts

I decided to replace both engine mounts on my 2007 Carrera S (51K Miles). I have researched this topic and I was convinced it was time for a replacement. I am not sure if the mounts have ever been replaced by previous owner but based on the ones I pulled off it would be safe to assume that they weren’t. I was led to this decision because of the following reasons.

1. Excessive vibration, I could visually see the passenger seat vibrating at idle.
2. Throttle response at low speeds from a stop would feel slightly sluggish or delayed.
3. Exhaust tips appeared to hang lower than it should especially when compared to old photos.

I decided to purchase the Corteco engine mounts (997-375-049-08) from RMEuropean.com total cost was $253.19 with shipping. From all the research I gathered, these are the same OEM suppliers that provide the mounts to Porsche. If you look at the photos attached, the old mounts have developed a permanent elongation. This elongation was actually worse when installed. After installing the new mounts, I could tell the difference immediately. I drive my 911 every day and even a subtle change I think I would notice. I know some people on this forum are skeptical about replacing the engine mounts and that the benefits would go unnoticed but this really depends on how often you drive your 911. I think that someone that drives their 911 every single day would notice the improvements much more than someone that didn’t. The new engine mounts fixed the following issues for me.

1. Startup takes less time, I wasn’t expecting this improvement.
2. Vibration and cabin noise is reduced at idle.
3. Exhaust tips appear to hang much better in relations to the valance.
4. Throttle response is definitely improved in low and high speeds.
Attached Images         
The following 3 users liked this post by frankyluis23:
harvardhsu (08-01-2019), John Pak (01-03-2021), Motopilot (05-19-2021)
Old 05-05-2016, 10:41 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Thank you for the nice feedback about the Corteco brand.

I went with Rennline engine mounts (soft setting) and like them very much during the spring and summer time. I know that it may not be the case in winter, because of their stiffer structure and feeling due to low temperatures. See http://murenae.com/FTP_Files/997.1-Eng-Mounts.pdf for details.

Changing the engine mounts makes a tremendous difference in the way the car handles and behaves. You are right, it is often overlooked as a transformation. People rather spend their money on intakes gizmos, noisy exhausts instead of addressing the right problems and truly improving the responsiveness and agility of their cars.

Yves
The following users liked this post:
John Pak (01-03-2021)
Old 05-05-2016, 10:49 AM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it as easy to do as it looks? Support the engine and remove a bolt on the bottom and a couple on the top?
Old 05-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
I don't want to sound incredulous or detract from your positive experience but I can't fathom the correlation of the perceived changes of items 1 & 4 and the changing of motor mounts.

I can understand that items 2 & 3 can be directly attributable to the change but 1 & 4 seem to be more a product a better tuned engine, change in fuel, etc. and which have nothing to do with motor mounts.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:21 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
Is it as easy to do as it looks? Support the engine and remove a bolt on the bottom and a couple on the top?
It is really easy. The hardest part of this entire procedure is setting the torque wrench to the proper torque, lol.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:23 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the writeup. Where did you put the jack to support the engine when replacing?
Old 05-05-2016, 11:38 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astur
I don't want to sound incredulous or detract from your positive experience but I can't fathom the correlation of the perceived changes of items 1 & 4 and the changing of motor mounts.

I can understand that items 2 & 3 can be directly attributable to the change but 1 & 4 seem to be more a product a better tuned engine, change in fuel, etc. and which have nothing to do with motor mounts.
As far as the throttle response, this is related to the engine being better secured to the structure that way the torque being produced is directly transmitted to the wheels rather than the engine torquing on itself. This could also be why the startup is much smoother.

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-2016, 11:42 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike9186
thanks for the writeup. Where did you put the jack to support the engine when replacing?
Engine Carrier
Old 05-05-2016, 12:03 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

I did the preventive on the motor mounts as well. Also went with Corteco via Pelican for $202. Indy installed them for $100/45 minutes while I waited.

The car does feel tighter and like mentioned above, interior vibrations have literally gone away. Mine were original with 55k and looked OK. No real elongation but maybe it has something to do with the warmer climate.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm at 56k miles on my '09. Now you guys have me thinking... .
Old 05-05-2016, 12:15 PM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
Hogwash, I changed my motor mounts out for a $2000 pair of Flat 6 Innovation gold plated ones, and gained at least 135 HP on the butt dyno!
TJ110 (10-08-2019)
Old 05-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

I am thinking of doing mine only because of the vibration. Car is 2011 with 60k km. Would they be worn? Exhaust hanging evenly.

Do you have the torque spec of the 3 nuts on top and the one under?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2016, 01:05 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
I decided to replace both engine mounts on my 2007 Carrera S (51K Miles). I have researched this topic and I was convinced it was time for a replacement. I am not sure if the mounts have ever been replaced by previous owner but based on the ones I pulled off it would be safe to assume that they weren’t. I was led to this decision because of the following reasons.

1. Excessive vibration, I could visually see the passenger seat vibrating at idle.
2. Throttle response at low speeds from a stop would feel slightly sluggish or delayed.
3. Exhaust tips appeared to hang lower than it should especially when compared to old photos.

I decided to purchase the Corteco engine mounts (997-375-049-08) from RMEuropean.com total cost was $253.19 with shipping. From all the research I gathered, these are the same OEM suppliers that provide the mounts to Porsche. If you look at the photos attached, the old mounts have developed a permanent elongation. This elongation was actually worse when installed. After installing the new mounts, I could tell the difference immediately. I drive my 911 every day and even a subtle change I think I would notice. I know some people on this forum are skeptical about replacing the engine mounts and that the benefits would go unnoticed but this really depends on how often you drive your 911. I think that someone that drives their 911 every single day would notice the improvements much more than someone that didn’t. The new engine mounts fixed the following issues for me.

I replaced with OEM RS mounts on both the 993 and the 997 and yes both use the same OEM RS mount.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. Does anyone have experience with the RSS ones? http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=335
Old 05-05-2016, 01:38 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Neb
I am thinking of doing mine only because of the vibration. Car is 2011 with 60k km. Would they be worn? Exhaust hanging evenly.

Do you have the torque spec of the 3 nuts on top and the one under?

Thanks
17 ft/lbs for the top and 63 ft/lbs for the bottom, per 997 Workshop Manual.
8KaboveMSL (01-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Replaced 997 Engine Mounts – My Thoughts