Sponsored by:

Track Day Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:49 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track Day Insurance

How many of you buy it, and are there any specific circumstances where you do or don't buy it for a DE?

I've never done a DE before, but I'm thinking the deductibles are so high, it may be worth it to just self insure. I mean, with a ~$10k deductible and a $400 premium on a $60k car, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Obviously it's easy to breach $10k in damage with these cars, but it's not like I'm out there wheel to wheel racing. Any way, just looking to see what other aspects people have thought of. Maybe I'm missing something.

Has anyone here ever made a claim?
Old 04-27-2016, 10:03 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I have never bought track insurance over 8 years of tracking with a few different 911's. I have seen a guy 2 years in a row with track insurance at the same track (Road America) crash in the same spot (The Kink) and total his car. With track insurance 2 strikes and you are out.

It's really up to the you if you feel you want it or not.....but in your case with a crazy (as in crazy insane) deductible I would pay the $350 in a heart beat.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:38 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I read it as though track day insurance quotes the OP was getting had 10,000 dollar deductibles, which prompted the 'is it even worth it to pay 400 bucks for track day insurance if the deductible is 10 grand' question.

Curious too... because this is the first year in my life I can attend an actual track day, aside from any instructional events on a track.

Following....
Old 04-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I use it for every track day. Less than $200 for $30K value. On Track Insurance also offers a discount for a 6 event purchase. I'm pretty comfortable with my own driving and my car - it's the other drivers that I worry about.

P.S. Never had to make a claim though.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:53 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the confusion, Philster interpreted it correctly. The Track Day Insurance is the one with the crazy deductible, making the premiums seem ridiculous, since breaching the layer of $10k in damage is much more remote than all of the times I'll have damage below $10k.

My primary insurance, just like most auto policies, excludes you from coverage the moment you get to an event.

I am a super novice who is probably going to have quite a fear gauge when pushing my car, which hopefully keeps me from slamming it into too many walls.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:57 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Triple Black
I use it for every track day. Less than $200 for $30K value. On Track Insurance also offers a discount for a 6 event purchase. I'm pretty comfortable with my own driving and my car - it's the other drivers that I worry about.

P.S. Never had to make a claim though.
Ok so On Track Insurance is $350 in premiums w/ a $6k, or 10%, deductible for a $60k car. It still just seems disproportionate to me, but again, I'm an amateur and could totally be missing something here.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:20 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rjshar
Sorry for the confusion, Philster interpreted it correctly.
My bad....not enough coffee to wake the noodle in my head up.

Do what makes you feel comfortable. Keep in mind that DE's are "usually" very controlled and at a novice / beginner level with an instructor they are even safer.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:47 AM
WV997S
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Locton and have witnessed or been at track events where damage has been easily more than $10,000. I believe my deductible was 10% of agreed value so it was not $10k. I have a buddy who totaled a $40,000 car without any insurance so I know the risk is real.

Peace of mind was worth it to me. Have never has to use it so far and hope I never do.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:50 AM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry for this novice question, but what does DE stand for, driving event or driver's education?
Old 04-27-2016, 12:03 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Well my other thought is, if I total my car, I can still likely get a decent amount of money out of it for parts/salvage. Obviously I'm looking at this from a purely mathematical perspective. There is a lot of time and emotion that would go into a wrecked car. That's definitely a value that insurance companies provide, you don't have to fiddle with the aftermath as much.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:04 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Default Track Day Insurance

Deleted post
Old 04-27-2016, 12:06 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

DE = Drivers Experience| Driving Experience, which could be with an instructor or just a track day.

It's at a track, so it's called DE to separate if from a spectator experience. Most tracks advertise races and other spectator events. DE calls it out: hey, this is a driving experience, not a spectator event.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:16 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
DE = Drivers Experience| Driving Experience, which could be with an instructor or just a track day.

It's at a track, so it's called DE to separate if from a spectator experience. Most tracks advertise races and other spectator events. DE calls it out: hey, this is a driving experience, not a spectator event.
Thank you for clarifying.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:50 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GT2RSobsessed
Thank you for clarifying.
??

HPDE = High Performance Drivers Education
DE = Drivers Education

It's classified as Drivers Education because of insurance, no official timing, classes to teach driving....
Old 04-27-2016, 12:55 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

I was told if you aren't willing to recover from pouring gas over your car and lighting it on fire, you shouldn't track it.

With that said, HPDE is relatively safe. Last year there were two incidents that I recall am aware of becuase I was at the track.

A car turned in too hot on an increasing radius right hander and hit a tire wall. He crunched the front fender, doors and rear. Driver was fine, $18k in damage. His regular insurance paid for repair. However, I don't know how it was claimed.

Another ncident, someone backed into a fence in the Paddock at 5mph. LOL

$400 for a day with a $10k deductible sounds ridiculous to me.

Quick Reply: Track Day Insurance