Sponsored by:

Auto-blip "manuals"

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 04:02 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Auto-blip "manuals"

Came to mind reading another thread. I'm guessing this already has another thread but my search skills on here are lousy.

I was watching a track session of someone in a GT4. It was impressive to see them handle the Nurburgring as well as they did, and great to see the GT4 (moreso the driver) keeping pace with an Aventador SV and doing well vs. a Ring Taxi M3.

I was initially particularly impressed by the quickness and accuracy in their shifting / rev matching. I then realized (either reading through comments or observation) that they were using the autoblip feature.

Now, of course this makes sense to maximize times, particularly on a challenging course. However, I don't quite "get" this middle ground. I would prefer at that point to just have a PDK system and keep my hands on the wheel. The "challenge" or joy of manual is in large part (to me) the rev matching or rev matching under braking and heel-toe skill required to do so smoothly.

Has anyone used this auto blip system on a "manual" car? Does it feel as odd as it looks? Or do you just get accustomed to it? I would almost fear moving to that system and then back to a regular manual car, and start engine braking on every downshift....

Again, not a critique on the driver using it for such a track but I just don't quite get the appeal or point.

Thoughts?
Old 04-25-2016, 06:38 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree it's lame on a manual. None of the manual 997s have this feature. It was introduced on the 991, I think mid-year on the 2013s.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:58 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Lame lame lame!!! Can the autoblip be turned off?
Old 04-25-2016, 08:08 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Came to mind reading another thread. I'm guessing this already has another thread but my search skills on here are lousy.

I was watching a track session of someone in a GT4. It was impressive to see them handle the Nurburgring as well as they did, and great to see the GT4 (moreso the driver) keeping pace with an Aventador SV and doing well vs. a Ring Taxi M3.

I was initially particularly impressed by the quickness and accuracy in their shifting / rev matching. I then realized (either reading through comments or observation) that they were using the autoblip feature.

Now, of course this makes sense to maximize times, particularly on a challenging course. However, I don't quite "get" this middle ground. I would prefer at that point to just have a PDK system and keep my hands on the wheel. The "challenge" or joy of manual is in large part (to me) the rev matching or rev matching under braking and heel-toe skill required to do so smoothly.

Has anyone used this auto blip system on a "manual" car? Does it feel as odd as it looks? Or do you just get accustomed to it? I would almost fear moving to that system and then back to a regular manual car, and start engine braking on every downshift....

Again, not a critique on the driver using it for such a track but I just don't quite get the appeal or point.

Thoughts?
I think of it as a value added feature. Gives the driver a choice, which is useful for different driving contexts. I promise you, driving a GT4 with autoblip on is a lot more involving than a PDK in auto mode. It's not even close...

Originally Posted by mattyf
I agree it's lame on a manual. None of the manual 997s have this feature. It was introduced on the 991, I think mid-year on the 2013s.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I have this on my Corvette Z06, 991 50th, and now the GT4. In every case it can be defeated so the driver can heel and toe to his heart's content, or its there to do it for you. Even on track it is fun to have the option -- do you want to 'test your skills' under pressure, or just go fast, working on braking and line, and not worry about missing a shift?

Point is, it can be defeated. No one forces you to use it, but it's there if you want it. Fun too if you time a few laps with auto blip engaged, and then try to replicate the times without it. Tells you how good a driver you are!!

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
Lame lame lame!!! Can the autoblip be turned off?
Yes, just click Sport button to off on GT4. On 991 GTS/50th leave it in Sport, stay out of Sport Plus.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:18 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Not lame. The first gearboxes had straight teeth and no synchros. They always required double clutching. That was possible because things were much slower than they are now. Then synchros were invented, no double clutching needed. Now the technology to match the engine shaft to the gearbox shaft is available and it just makes sense. Precise, no wear. H&T is a guess at best. If someone needs to show others their superiority by doing that, they've got issues.

This from someone who still double clutches a 915 tranny, if you know what that is... and only because those are 30-yo parts.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:03 PM
vitman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2006 997S manual and have driven a stick for many years but my heel-toe skills are lacking. I went to the Porsche sport driving course in Birmingham and had this feature on a 991S and on the Cayman GT4. I Loved it. Made me even consider moving to a 991 just to get it. You can use it or turn it off depending on the sport or sport plus setting. Great feature. Maybe it artificially makes you a better driver, but I will take it. I don't consider it a middle ground vs. PDK. If performance is the only factor then PDK is the way to go, but I enjoy a manual and this adds to the manual experience if you aren't a world class heel-toe shifter.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:09 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I think that you have to turn off stability control in the GT4 to get rid of the rev-matching feature. This is probably one of the only things I don't like about that car.

If its a manual, lets keep is that way. As the default, do no rev-match and if you want to add it, press a button. I really enjoy doing it myself and I think it would make me lazy and out of practice if I didn't have to do it.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:50 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
I think that you have to turn off stability control in the GT4 to get rid of the rev-matching feature. This is probably one of the only things I don't like about that car.

If its a manual, lets keep is that way. As the default, do no rev-match and if you want to add it, press a button. I really enjoy doing it myself and I think it would make me lazy and out of practice if I didn't have to do it.
not true
Old 04-25-2016, 11:18 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm about to test this out on a 2016 Shelby GT350 http://www.auto-blip.com/
Old 04-26-2016, 01:01 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
not true
Oops, this was referring to the M2 not the gt4. Brain fart!!! Glad that Porsche got this right, but would still rather have it turned off as the default mode.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:07 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Not lame. The first gearboxes had straight teeth and no synchros. They always required double clutching. That was possible because things were much slower than they are now. This from someone who still double clutches a 915 tranny, if you know what that is... and only because those are 30-yo parts.
And this: From one who drives a 1923 Lincoln three-speed box; well into high gear by 18mph. Timing a shift without double clutching is based on how warm the gear oil is (250w)

Concluding your history lesson for the day……….
Old 04-26-2016, 02:35 AM
sleepy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
Oops, this was referring to the M2 not the gt4. Brain fart!!! Glad that Porsche got this right, but would still rather have it turned off as the default mode.
As that may be, but you're okay with the computer limiting power and controlling the brakes, but not with a maneuver as harmless as blipping the throttle?

Quite frankly I don't understand how auto-blip has never been widely implemented; we've had electronic throttle for a long time. It's like the synchros as people pointed out, a new generation of stick-shift drivers (sadly, that remains uncertain) will wonder why older cars lack it.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:28 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Lots of different views.

I enjoy rev matching on back roads. I think it is fundamentally a part of manual transmission. That said, I love that the GT4 at least has a manual and the ability to turn off this auto blip feature saves that.

For a track, if two hands on wheel is the key, the auto blip still seems an odd in-between mode (to me).

I do think that rev matching and H&T are big parts of a fun country road drive (again, to me). If I was trying to set best lap times I would want paddles on the wheel.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:20 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sleepy
As that may be, but you're okay with the computer limiting power and controlling the brakes, but not with a maneuver as harmless as blipping the throttle?
Those are generally safety items and YES, most cars I do not like how it is implemented. A g35c I drove, it was very obnoxious and annoying. The 911 it is much more subtle and doesn't upset the chassis nearly as much.

I think the feature is good as an option to push a turn on, but not in default mode. It's just my opinion tho
Old 04-26-2016, 02:24 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
If I was trying to set best lap times I would want paddles on the wheel.
Ironically in the very best cars and wanting to get best lap times, typically you leave the paddles alone and let the computer do it all, which makes the process even less engaging.

On my wife's audi I remember paying extra for the paddles and it was a must for me to have (if we were going to have an auto Trans it had to be a DsG and had to have paddles) they are rarely used after all.

Quick Reply: Auto-blip "manuals"