Sponsored by:

Id center console power line that is only live when engine is on

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 02:19 AM
Koenbro
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Id center console power line that is only live when engine is on

I need to tap a power line somewhere in the center console, that is live only when the engine is on. How can I do this?

I have installed a Blackvue dashcam and the Power Magic Pro adapter that is in the center console needs two power inputs: one that is permanently on (got that from cig lighter in passenger footwell) and a second one that is live only when the engine is on. Car is a 2007 C4s w/Tip and PCM 2.1 w/Bose. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:53 AM
nk215
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can tap into the fuse box (use a fuse tap adapter) or tap into the power wires for the PCM. Brown is ground, white is hot. I believe those wires are on when the engine is on or when you open the door (on for a while, in this case, and then goes back to sleep).

Edit: You may want to look into grill-mount, under the bumper mount cameras. They are water proof and are popular among motorcycle owner. I am thinking about mounting one in the center radiator space and another one in the rear. I have a cab so I would like to avoid any trace of dash-mount equipment to minimize the chance of break-in.

Last edited by nk215; 04-21-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:39 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Agree with nk215 that the fusebox is your best option. It is easy to feed the power line across the trim below the steering wheel and to the center console area, then just splice a cigarette lighter plug onto that (Radio Shack, etc.). I did this to run power to my phone mount in the center console area. See my post 9 here for more info as how I did the original power tap for my radar detector (I added the phone and the wire to that later, but that is simple). I also picked up a ground over there as well rather than try to find a reliable one in the center console area.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...etector.html#9

Quick Reply: Id center console power line that is only live when engine is on