Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many plan to eventually get into a 991?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Moondog4224
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an interesting thread..... very varying opinions.....I grew up building street rods.... raced motorcycles for a while ..... selling them now ..... Ducati, suzuki, honda, yamaha...

I have 2 friends that are "car guys".... One who hates porsche and builds "porsche killers".....rx, lotus etc. with crazy horsepower that he builds himself...

my other buddy who bought his first porsche (944) and new porsche every 2 years....asked him why he liked VW's so much(he wasn't laughing) and he let me drive his 996 and it was all over for me (2000).... yes I wear a submariner....

BTW in all my different Stages (now use a mechanic) I am a car/ bike guy

I always have a fun car but bought my first porsche: 2006 997.1 c4s 6speed mt in 2010.... fully loaded awesome car......

I just bought my next one 2016 991 LO GT3.... fully loaded awesome car.....

oh yeah fun car 2016 wrx sti limited awesome car..... DD

so very different, all of them, but I can tell you the 991 gt3 is an insane car and so good at so many things..... the 997 c4s feels so different when I get back in it.....not bad just different.... I love it ....
I guess the point is they are all awesome and I love the different butt on all of them!
Just my opinion.... Kyle

Nice butts (sorry for the bad iPhone pic)

The skinny, tall, anxious teenager...

PS: Yes I need to remodel my garage I know!

Last edited by Moondog4224; 05-12-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:34 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
And that rear end is even worse when the spoiler lifts up. That giant maw looks like you left your trunk open. It's just absolutely horrid. On the side mirrors on the side of the door. Sorry to beat a dead horse but damn.

The rear spoiler raised on 991s looks like a joke. My wife saw one in action the other day and even remarked how silly it looked.

Someone really messed up the back end of that car. Perhaps that is why I can live with a 991 gt3... the rear wing cleans up some of the issues.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:47 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

I havn,t driven a 991 yet , but if it is as good as or better than my 997 carrera s then i would be happy to upgrade to one ............
Old 05-23-2016, 01:10 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Well, after test driving one during a dealer visit, I ended up ordering a 991.2 C2S. The reasons:
1. Our financial position improved more than we anticipated, so the big depreciation loss on a new one is now acceptable to us.
2. I daily drive the car everywhere, live at altitude, and expect to get a dedicated race car in the next few years. Thus, the GT orientation of the car better matches my intended usage as a DD (rather than a weekend toy) .
3. I had a minor accident hydroplaning into a ditch with my GTS. It was repaired properly, but i like the idea of a new one for emotional reasons.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:41 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Well, after test driving one during a dealer visit, I ended up ordering a 991.2 C2S. The reasons:
1. Our financial position improved more than we anticipated, so the big depreciation loss on a new one is now acceptable to us.
2. I daily drive the car everywhere, live at altitude, and expect to get a dedicated race car in the next few years. Thus, the GT orientation of the car better matches my intended usage as a DD (rather than a weekend toy) .
3. I had a minor accident hydroplaning into a ditch with my GTS. It was repaired properly, but i like the idea of a new one for emotional reasons.
Congrats! the 991.2 is a great car, turbo will work great up at altitude. There is no noticeable turbo lag. The new Miami blue looks great in person. I snap a picture of this on my recent test drive.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:51 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

This will destroy a man's love of a car. No matter what you tell yourself - once you wreck your dream car...it's no longer your dream car and they almost always get sold soon after repairs. Local body shop owner told me that himself and it's the truth.

I will say the 991.2 looks beautiful in pictures - reminds me a lot more of the 997. I think they got the new design down there.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:34 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ynot
Congrats! the 991.2 is a great car, turbo will work great up at altitude. There is no noticeable turbo lag. The new Miami blue looks great in person. I snap a picture of this on my recent test drive.
Thanks! I'm excited for it. I really like the rims on the car you snapped and think they'll be in my build.

On the test drive I was very surprised at the difference the turbocharger made. We're at 4500 feet, so not 8000, but naturally aspirated cars have a bit of trouble breathing - I think it's a ~15% power loss, so a 991 GT3 here only makes 400-410 bhp. The other 65-75 ponies don't make it up the mountain.

When I bought the 997 I figured I could keep it a long time or sell it anytime without losing my shirt, but I'd take a huge hit if I picked up a new 911 and found the car wasn't what I hoped for. Looks like the strategy worked well as I wouldn't have been able to get as nice of a new one then!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:57 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Para82
This will destroy a man's love of a car. No matter what you tell yourself - once you wreck your dream car...it's no longer your dream car and they almost always get sold soon after repairs. Local body shop owner told me that himself and it's the truth.

I will say the 991.2 looks beautiful in pictures - reminds me a lot more of the 997. I think they got the new design down there.
Yeah, it's not rational and doesn't make a lot of sense. But an expensive sports car is not a rational purchase. The rational choice is to buy a nice reliable appliance. The irrational choice is to sell a perfectly good 911 because I broke it and get a brand new one that I will certainly lose money on. And I'm pretty happy with that choice!

I really think the 991.2 is a good looking car. I like it a lot more in person than in photos as it has a nice presence. I'm not sure if it will prove as timeless as the 997 body, but it certainly looks great in the near term, and that's when I'll be the one that owns it.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:52 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82

Worked just the opposite for me.

Was hit badly in 2011 in the rear by an SUV at a stop sign. Loved my car with the PTS in my all time favorite color and wanted to fix her when I could have easily pushed for a total or given her up when my lease was up a few years later.

Took her to a great Body shop on Long Island who worked their miracle and she turned out gorgeous like the owner promised she would. That accident brought me closer to the car…way closer like we went through the war together. Makes me smile even time I get a compliment or even when I just look at her in the garage. Love my car.

Different strokes

The 991 is definitely not my cup of tea…..can't get past the headlights!

Tom
Old 05-25-2016, 06:06 AM
blitz997
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it's not rational and doesn't make a lot of sense. But an expensive sports car is not a rational purchase. The rational choice is to buy a nice reliable appliance. The irrational choice is to sell a perfectly good 911 because I broke it and get a brand new one that I will certainly lose money on. And I'm pretty happy with that choice!

I really think the 991.2 is a good looking car. I like it a lot more in person than in photos as it has a nice presence. I'm not sure if it will prove as timeless as the 997 body, but it certainly looks great in the near term, and that's when I'll be the one that owns it.
I just drove the 991.2 and it's super refined. It's nice, but my biggest disappointment is the engine/exhaust noise. I drove a non PSE and it almost sounded mute compared to my 997. Otherwise, 991.2 is pretty sweet.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:56 AM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a chance to sit in a friend's 2014 991 C4S. I didn't really like the interior. I thought would from the pictures and from the inside of a Macan GTS and the Panamara. They are all about the same. In the 911 it seems too cluttered in the middle. This one also had the 997.1 style PDK buttons on the wheel. It's a great cat but I didn't find myself lusting to have one. I'm happy with my 997.2 C2S.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:35 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I've been telling myself for more than a year that although I don't care for the feel in a 991 generation car that I would be getting a 991 GT3 at some point. Today I saw one in person for the first time, at the grocery store just now. Boy was it ever badass.

But.. it was too big! I'm kinda shocked at my reaction. I was sitting in my car (997 GTS).. the GT3 seemed large. Somehow larger than the few inches in either direction should seem. Maybe by the time I'm ready to add a 991 GT3 to the garage (it will not replace the GTS) enough other cars will be larger that I won't notice it. But that car just seemed too big for me to want it. Kinda disappointing.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:47 PM
m3pete
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was searching for my first Porsche, the only 991 I would get is the GT3. Since the price of admission is way over my budget, I am happy with my decision on a 997.2 GTS. I love the look of the 997 and I personally think the 991s are way too big.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:51 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Way back in post 78 of this thread I said that I had started thinking about moving in to a 991. Since this thread is where I first mentioned it and it seemed the only right place in the 997 thread to say this, I thought I'd make the first intro of my new-to-me 991 4S here before moving my concentration to the 991 forum, but I hope you guys will still let me pitch in here at times as well.

I recently had the good fortune to see my 997.2 move into Own Goal's hands. I feel it has found a great home where it will be loved, respected, and taken great care of. Thank you Jim and I hope you have many great miles behind the wheel!

I had been actively looking at 991s since early May and for the first time last week I saw a car on the Porsche NA site that had everything that was on my must-have list and my would-like-to-have list except for the aerokit. I have been uncertain about that anyway (I actually like the 991 tails without it a lot), and if I ever felt compelled I could buy that from Porsche as a kit.

I am currently driving it home from Salt Lake City to Austin, taking the more-interesting routes that involve minimal interstates and lots of Colorado winding roads and wide open New Mexico backroads.

Once I make it home I'll post some more about the car and my observations about it, but for now here are some shots I took this morning with my iPhone just south of Grand Junction, CO. I thought the landscape and sky looked just right. It is a 2014 4S in Agate Grey. I'll start with the obligatory 4S wide rear-end shot.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:53 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts

Looks great! Congrats!

Quick Reply: How many plan to eventually get into a 991?