Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many plan to eventually get into a 991?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 01:21 PM
pdutta2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every 3 months or so I get this kick and start actively searching for a 991. It's as if I'm missing something. Then I go out and take a long drive in my 2006 997.1 S and realize I'm not missing anything. It's got a great engine, amazing steering and a perfectly tuned suspension. Nothing more is needed in a sports car. I'm sure I could upgrade the leather and some of the trim pieces are just crappy looking but those are simple fixes. The 991 and beyond has a ton more technology but I'm not sure if I'd really appreciate or enjoy it.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:42 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
Every 3 months or so I get this kick and start actively searching for a 991. It's as if I'm missing something. Then I go out and take a long drive in my 2006 997.1 S and realize I'm not missing anything. It's got a great engine, amazing steering and a perfectly tuned suspension. Nothing more is needed in a sports car. I'm sure I could upgrade the leather and some of the trim pieces are just crappy looking but those are simple fixes. The 991 and beyond has a ton more technology but I'm not sure if I'd really appreciate or enjoy it.
I do the same but only search to find a 991 with the exact same options as my 997 but can never find one or they're still too high in my prince range. Its fun to look.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:03 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

I broke one of my own rules... never test drive a car that is a possible "upgrade" unless I am ready and willing to buy it. But then the Porsche dealer invited a bunch of us to go test drive some new 2017 S models at Circuit of the Americas at track speeds. How could I refuse!? I've already posted about that so I won't say a lot more, but the power, sound, and handling (especially lack of understeer) was much more alluring than I expected. The crackle of a 991.2 PSE is surprisingly nice.

The cars also didn't feel any bigger than my car despite my expecting it to and stats showing otherwise. Now I'm beginning to think about going for at least a well-outfitted 991.1. I'm already past my normal 2 year car switching window, but as someone else said, I've spent a lot of time and effort getting my 997 tweaked like I want it. That's hard to walk away from, but I know myself well enough to know that once a new car enters my head, the process has started.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:13 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

I'll bite.

I'd switch to a 991. It's about that time anyway, 2013's are 3 yrs old....2012.5's definitely are. Or maybe I'll see what the 991.2 has to offer. From the ads, I like the upgraded electronics.
Anyway, I just purchased new rotors, brakes, and tires for the track season so I'd rather use that up before dumping the 997.2

Every car forum has there nostalgic folks who think the car they have is the last of the old guard....

E30 M3 for life! Oh, wrong board.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I broke one of my own rules... never test drive a car that is a possible "upgrade" unless I am ready and willing to buy it. But then the Porsche dealer invited a bunch of us to go test drive some new 2017 S models at Circuit of the Americas at track speeds. How could I refuse!? I've already posted about that so I won't say a lot more, but the power, sound, and handling (especially lack of understeer) was much more alluring than I expected. The crackle of a 991.2 PSE is surprisingly nice.

The cars also didn't feel any bigger than my car despite my expecting it to and stats showing otherwise. Now I'm beginning to think about going for at least a well-outfitted 991.1. I'm already past my normal 2 year car switching window, but as someone else said, I've spent a lot of time and effort getting my 997 tweaked like I want it. That's hard to walk away from, but I know myself well enough to know that once a new car enters my head, the process has started.
I've driven the 991.1 numerous times on the track and street. It's a much better car than our beloved 997's. The interior takes a bit getting used to but after you get used to it. The 997's just seems old, very outdated. The 991 doesn't feel much bigger inside or out. It's definitely a better car, most don't want to acknowledged it and most haven't even driven it and has a lot of bad things to say about it. Your 997 looks pretty stock to me, I would do it.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
I've driven the 991.1 numerous times on the track and street. It's a much better car than our beloved 997's. The interior takes a bit getting used to but after you get used to it. The 997's just seems old, very outdated. The 991 doesn't feel much bigger inside or out. It's definitely a better car, most don't want to acknowledged it and most haven't even driven it and has a lot of bad things to say about it. Your 997 looks pretty stock to me, I would do it.
With a 3"+ longer wheelbase, and better weight balance, etc., it's not surprising that the 991s are great performers. For me, and I believe for many others, who strongly prefer the 997 gen, it's more about looks/proportions/detailing. The shorter wheelbase and more traditional hard sloping rear lend the 997 a more pleasing, "more 911," form, IMO. And the open laterally oriented dash layout feels more traditional Porsche, as well. In the .2 gen, you get all those positive attributes, mated to the new tech that matters -- DFI, LEDs, nav, etc., etc. A perfect balance!

Can't fault anyone for preferring either. They're all fantastic cars. For me, however, it's no contest. 997 by miles.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:03 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I won the lotto I would buy a 991 Turbo S in black but until then I am happy with my 997. In my view the 997 is the prettiest 911 ever - even prettier than the 993 or 991 so I don't lust after a 991 unless one was easily affordable which its not at present.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

The cars also didn't feel any bigger than my car despite my expecting it to and stats showing otherwise. ...
I bet the cars you drove have RWS. The 991.1 w/o RWS drives differently.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:31 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

...Your 997 looks pretty stock to me, I would do it.
Yeah... I guess you are right... it's pretty stock... other than the Turbo wing, high mounted brake light delete, PSE addition with GTS tips and hardwired switch, Sharkwerks crossover, RSS engine mounts, custom hood emblem, Fabspeed intake, dialed-in performance alignment, titanium wheel bolts and spacers, mounted fire extinguisher, window tint, and hardwired radar detector, dashcam and phone mount.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:25 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Yeah... I guess you are right... it's pretty stock... other than the Turbo wing, high mounted brake light delete, PSE addition with GTS tips and hardwired switch, Sharkwerks crossover, RSS engine mounts, custom hood emblem, Fabspeed intake, dialed-in performance alignment, titanium wheel bolts and spacers, mounted fire extinguisher, window tint, and hardwired radar detector, dashcam and phone mount.
So there...
Old 04-23-2016, 05:56 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
I'd do it if it were an equivalent model or a model upgrade. I hopped in a 991 S and it felt a little less special than my 997 GTS, so on that one I'd likely just stay put. But I'd love a 991 GT3 if I could add rear seats, and if I get a race car first I'd take a turbo/TTS for a DD.

I'll probably go new and keep it for a long while the next time around, and I don't expect to be financially ready to do that for two to three years. At that point the 991 would be almost finished, so I'd consider just waiting to see the next platform.
Things can change fast sometimes... I was by the dealer and found my issue with the 991 S interior feeling like a step down was really that I formed my opinion based on very a lightly optioned car. I checked out a loaded 991.2 this time and my opinion has changed. Like for like, the new cabin is clearly higher end.

My wife's new job has a lot more earning power than we had expected, and now she's encouraging me to swap to a 991.2 S this year - says 'they're pretty' - and I could still get the race car next year and buy a 'keeper' GT3 / turbo s / whatever when next (post 991.2) generation is released.

A new 991 S lease is starting to sound pretty intriguing...
Old 04-23-2016, 10:04 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

My mod list will take this entire page, so yes, your car is pretty stock. lol.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:43 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

My mod list will take this entire page, so yes, your car is pretty stock. lol.
Touchè. I had the impression your car has a lot of upgrades from your posts over time. So yes, I concede your conclusion... comparatively speaking. I guess the fact that I could roll my car back to its original condition in a long day means it isn't all that much on there; it was just a lot of time and research put into it for me and it's hard to walk away from. I did just come back from a drive and this car is still is a blast... by far the best car I've ever had.

I'm thinking that if/when I get a 991, I'll try harder to take the time/money to get one configured with the stuff I'd prefer up front and not do as many mods as I have (PSE and wing or aero stuff for example). Now I just have to decide if it is worth rolling back many of the changes on my car and selling them separately (I have all of the original parts), or if the car would be worth enough of a premium with them still installed to make it worth selling as-is. I could see for some potential buyers the customizations might be considered undesirable and for others a big plus. It will be a tough call.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:19 AM
marsirover
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never never

Got the best in my eyes. Launch edition 977.2 with GT2 sport seat. Never settle for less
Old 04-25-2016, 10:36 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Touchè. I had the impression your car has a lot of upgrades from your posts over time. So yes, I concede your conclusion... comparatively speaking. I guess the fact that I could roll my car back to its original condition in a long day means it isn't all that much on there; it was just a lot of time and research put into it for me and it's hard to walk away from. I did just come back from a drive and this car is still is a blast... by far the best car I've ever had.

I'm thinking that if/when I get a 991, I'll try harder to take the time/money to get one configured with the stuff I'd prefer up front and not do as many mods as I have (PSE and wing or aero stuff for example). Now I just have to decide if it is worth rolling back many of the changes on my car and selling them separately (I have all of the original parts), or if the car would be worth enough of a premium with them still installed to make it worth selling as-is. I could see for some potential buyers the customizations might be considered undesirable and for others a big plus. It will be a tough call.
Yes, it took time and money to get to where I wanted it, that is why it's tough for me to let go. I know I will get nothing for my modifications except that it might sell faster for the right buyer. From my time on the forums, mods doesn't add much value so it's probably better to remove all mods and sell it stock. Majority of the population relates mods to abuse. They prefer all stock.

Quick Reply: How many plan to eventually get into a 991?