Sponsored by:

Battery charging issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 10:17 AM
iceman030303
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery charging issues

Hey everyone! Hope everyone's having a great weekend. So I had the annual service done at the Porsche dealer and for the most part it went great. Last year I replaced the battery in my 06 C4 because the battery didn't pass the load test. The battery would be fully charged, we would take it out for the night and it would barely start. They said the battery cable needed replaced and that it is a known issue. Has any of you dealt with this issue yourselves? If so did you replace it as a DIY and was it difficult? Did you have a Indy replacement and what kind of cost was associated it in? My dealer wanted 800 for it. Just curious as a penny saved is a penny earned lol. Thanks in advance, Evan.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:55 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Evan. Do a search. The info is out there.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:13 PM
iceman030303
Advanced

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Hi Evan. Do a search. The info is out there.
I did but I've looking for anything updated. The searches I've done are somewhat older. Thx
Old 04-04-2016, 07:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

Unless you're very handy, the cable replacement is probably best left to the pros - it's a lot of disassembly and reassembly. If you do have it done, your car has 50,000 miles or more, and you haven't had your AOS replaced yet, have that done at the same time. They'll do all the labor to replace the AOS (4 hours) as they go deeper to get all the cable attachment points (a couple more).

I wasn't aware that '06 cars had the cable issue though, just '05s, but could be wrong about that. The telltale signs of the cable issue is a fine start first thing in the morning, but almost a no start (very slow crank) after a short trip or after the engine gets hot.

How often do you drive your car? If it's 7-10 days or more between drives sometimes, that will kill a 997 battery so although your battery is on my a year old, if left to discharge frequently due to limited use of the car, it might not be good anymore.

If not using the car for 3-4 days or longer, you need to keep it plugged into a battery maintainer.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:00 PM
iceman030303
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
Unless you're very handy, the cable replacement is probably best left to the pros - it's a lot of disassembly and reassembly. If you do have it done, your car has 50,000 miles or more, and you haven't had your AOS replaced yet, have that done at the same time. They'll do all the labor to replace the AOS (4 hours) as they go deeper to get all the cable attachment points (a couple more).

I wasn't aware that '06 cars had the cable issue though, just '05s, but could be wrong about that. The telltale signs of the cable issue is a fine start first thing in the morning, but almost a no start (very slow crank) after a short trip or after the engine gets hot.

How often do you drive your car? If it's 7-10 days or more between drives sometimes, that will kill a 997 battery so although your battery is on my a year old, if left to discharge frequently due to limited use of the car, it might not be good anymore.

If not using the car for 3-4 days or longer, you need to keep it plugged into a battery maintainer.
Thanks for the response!! I didn't either but the dealership said its a know issue with the 06s apparently. I keep it on a battery tender all the time to keep the battery charged up. When the issue began I drove it all the time. Put it away for winter and just recently brought her out of storage. She was on a tender the entire time. Like you said, I'll leave the house on a full charge and go somewhere. Once I get back in to start it, it's come close to not starting. I've had some close calls haha.

It has 52k miles on it now. The dealer wanted $800 dollars for the job but it's of course cheaper at my Indy shop. I only go to the dealer for an annual service as its a good way to get it in at the start of the year. They found the battery cable issue during the inspection.

Quick Reply: Battery charging issues