Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Caliper Refinish DIY with VHT Paint & Caliper Upgrade on 997.2 C2 Base

Old 04-17-2016, 08:00 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

Some updated pics after Caffeine & Exotics today:

Last edited by EMC2; 04-17-2016 at 11:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by EMC2:
Oceans11 (11-06-2022), tegraphile (08-25-2021)
Old 04-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks awesome!!! When can you do mine?
Old 04-18-2016, 12:47 AM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you install the thicker rotors?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:12 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan GSR
Did you install the thicker rotors?
Dan, good question; I did install the "S" rotors also. I had listed the rotor part numbers in the original thread, but I just added a note also to make it very clear.

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
Looks awesome!!! When can you do mine?
Thanks Lvt. Can do yours too, but I may need to keep your car indefinitely. It's not a quick process you know...
Old 04-18-2016, 02:34 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
I'd say after looking at these "professional" jobs, it confirms what a good job the OP did.

btw, don't worry about the decals not being UNDER any clear coat. I have done it over the paint in the past and even tracked that car and drove it very very hard and over 5 years and 60k miles the decals never changed color, cracked or were damaged in any way. As long as its a good quality/proper vinyl, you are fine. And heaven forbid, something did happen to them, its an extremely easy and cheap "fix".
We've had more than 10-years of experience with brake caliper refinishing and we are not taking away from the fact that a DIY is possible, however you can't expect the same results. If you do tackle on this project yourself you can save $150 per caliper but again you must factor in the time it takes and the quality of the finishing you're willing to have in the end.

(This is sort of like taking on the project for painting your own car but on a smaller level of course). You can see from the photos We've attached how smooth and deep the levels of clear are.

We are not saying that the OP didn't do a good job, we were simply adding that the decals in our experience are less susceptible to damages when placed under the clear coating.

The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (08-25-2021)
Old 04-18-2016, 05:12 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The OP invested a fair amount of time and realised great results. Of course a professional outfit with years of experience will achieve an even better result but that is indeed stating the obvious.

On another note, what rims are those???

Thanks.

Regards,

CF
Old 04-18-2016, 10:30 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
We've had more than 10-years of experience with brake caliper refinishing and we are not taking away from the fact that a DIY is possible, however you can't expect the same results. If you do tackle on this project yourself you can save $150 per caliper but again you must factor in the time it takes and the quality of the finishing you're willing to have in the end.

(This is sort of like taking on the project for painting your own car but on a smaller level of course). You can see from the photos We've attached how smooth and deep the levels of clear are.

We are not saying that the OP didn't do a good job, we were simply adding that the decals in our experience are less susceptible to damages when placed under the clear coating.

For some reason this comes across little bit like, "nice job, but we can do it better, look at me, look at me". I know your here to stir up business, but come on, the dude put a ton of time into his mod and its his thread. Of course people will use you when they don't want to spend hours on such a mod, thats great, but some people like to actually work on their own cars and the are happy to show the results.

As far as durability, my stock S calipers have a chip at 20,000 miles that is larger than my previous car when I did the VHT paint at 56,000 miles when I sold the car. I am sure it is a total fluke, but at the same time, the VHT seems to hold up pretty well and with the baking process, I am sure it is even more durable. It isn't going to beat powder coating, but it isn't exactly plasti-dip either.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:38 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cool flash
The OP invested a fair amount of time and realised great results. Of course a professional outfit with years of experience will achieve an even better result but that is indeed stating the obvious.

On another note, what rims are those???

Thanks.

Regards,

CF
Totally understand and agree, those are the R-66 wheels, we run promotions on them from time to time, if you are interested send a Direct message..
Old 04-18-2016, 11:46 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rodH
For some reason this comes across little bit like, "nice job, but we can do it better, look at me, look at me". I know your here to stir up business, but come on, the dude put a ton of time into his mod and its his thread. Of course people will use you when they don't want to spend hours on such a mod, thats great, but some people like to actually work on their own cars and the are happy to show the results.

As far as durability, my stock S calipers have a chip at 20,000 miles that is larger than my previous car when I did the VHT paint at 56,000 miles when I sold the car. I am sure it is a total fluke, but at the same time, the VHT seems to hold up pretty well and with the baking process, I am sure it is even more durable. It isn't going to beat powder coating, but it isn't exactly plasti-dip either.
Started off with a piece of advice or my .02 as we would all call it as it initially pertained to the caliper logo. You're right we are here to stir up business as expected with any supporting vendor that pays hundred of dollars each month to sponsor the forums. We are proud of the work we put out and there is nothing wrong with this right? We simply want to offer an alternative solution to those who might consider other options (same as Google ad solutions) on a more analog level.

We are happy to provide some tips and advise as we have plenty of times to those who chose not to post but rather message us directly regarding finishing or fitment so please pardon us if you feel we have violated some sort of rule which we are unaware of, it wasn't our intention to step on anyone's toes here. "Can't we all just get along?"

BTW: DON'T POWDER COAT your brake calipers! An other free tip
Old 04-19-2016, 03:50 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Started off with a piece of advice or my .02 as we would all call it as it initially pertained to the caliper logo. You're right we are here to stir up business as expected with any supporting vendor that pays hundred of dollars each month to sponsor the forums. We are proud of the work we put out and there is nothing wrong with this right? We simply want to offer an alternative solution to those who might consider other options (same as Google ad solutions) on a more analog level.

We are happy to provide some tips and advise as we have plenty of times to those who chose not to post but rather message us directly regarding finishing or fitment so please pardon us if you feel we have violated some sort of rule which we are unaware of, it wasn't our intention to step on anyone's toes here. "Can't we all just get along?"

BTW: DON'T POWDER COAT your brake calipers! An other free tip
Fair enough. You paid your dues for being a forum sponsor and get to advertise your services. Thats the rules. For those of us who like to get their hands dirty, learn about the cars they drive and feel satisfaction on a job well done...I applaud the OP. He did a professional job that anyone can do if they take their time, prep and wants to know how their car operates. This is a perfect cheap DYI project that yields awesome results.

With that said, some jobs for some people are worth paying for. If you dont have the time, skills or endurance, its worth farming out. Oil changes come to mind. It aint worth the $30 to do my own.

Everyone appreciates the Pros chiming in with advice. Yall do it every day for a living. Please continue to drop nuggets of advice when able.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:09 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice job - what did you use to keep the brake hoses on the car from dripping all the time, the same wing nuts?
Old 04-19-2016, 11:44 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 170 Posts

Why VHT instead of a paint like G2? About to tackle this myself sometime this summer.

Are the 997.1S the same as the 987.1S brakes and are either superior to the 997.2 base brakes (beyond just looks). Will 997.2S brakes not work as easily?

Looks good OP.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:56 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

So you guys charge $150 per caliper?
Old 04-19-2016, 06:42 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Fair enough. You paid your dues for being a forum sponsor and get to advertise your services. Thats the rules. For those of us who like to get their hands dirty, learn about the cars they drive and feel satisfaction on a job well done...I applaud the OP. He did a professional job that anyone can do if they take their time, prep and wants to know how their car operates. This is a perfect cheap DYI project that yields awesome results.

With that said, some jobs for some people are worth paying for. If you dont have the time, skills or endurance, its worth farming out. Oil changes come to mind. It aint worth the $30 to do my own.

Everyone appreciates the Pros chiming in with advice. Yall do it every day for a living. Please continue to drop nuggets of advice when able.
Well, said and agreed, we were happy to see that someone actually performed a baking on the calipers, we won't disclose to the exact temps, times etc. for obvious reasons however I will say that the OP took measures to prevent premature failures. We applaud his diligence and we thank you for your post!

-WD
Old 04-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
So you guys charge $150 per caliper?
That is correct, we charge $150 per caliper, if you are not local then shipping charges on the return are applied. You will have your calipers photographed before you need to send payment in order to confirm we have finished them in the correct color...
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (08-25-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Refinish DIY with VHT Paint & Caliper Upgrade on 997.2 C2 Base