Sponsored by:

Brake Caliper Refinish DIY with VHT Paint & Caliper Upgrade on 997.2 C2 Base

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 01:31 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Nice job - what did you use to keep the brake hoses on the car from dripping all the time, the same wing nuts?
thanks - yes I drained as much of the fluid as possible first and then plugged all holes with the wingnuts. Just use a pair of pliers to twist them on really tight and they form a great seal. It is extra important to do this because when baking, the pressure will increase inside the caliper increasing the chance of a leak if the seal is not good.

Originally Posted by workhurts
Why VHT instead of a paint like G2? About to tackle this myself sometime this summer.

Are the 997.1S the same as the 987.1S brakes and are either superior to the 997.2 base brakes (beyond just looks). Will 997.2S brakes not work as easily?

Looks good OP.
thanks - I chose VHT because of the reviews I read and because I have a good amount of experience with spraying and I simply didn't feel comfortable that I could achieve the same finish level with a brush on paint (not with my skill level at least ). I did however note that G2 gets a lot of really good reviews for the level of protection and durability, but when I looked at some of the close up DIY pics it confirmed that brushing is tough to get a finish that will stand up to very close inspection.
As a comparison, I have mint condition factory OEM Red calipers on my 2014 Panamera GTS and I can say that it would take extremely closeup and extended inspection/comparison to come to a conclusion that my 997 calipers are not OEM painted, and I think that probably even in this case, very few people would come to that conclusion.(the only real clue is the decals being above the surface)

Just trying to provide some perspective, and also note this comes from a self confessed detailing fanatic

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
Well, said and agreed, we were happy to see that someone actually performed a baking on the calipers, we won't disclose to the exact temps, times etc. for obvious reasons however I will say that the OP took measures to prevent premature failures. We applaud his diligence and we thank you for your post!

-WD
Originally Posted by cool flash
The OP invested a fair amount of time and realised great results. Of course a professional outfit with years of experience will achieve an even better result but that is indeed stating the obvious.

On another note, what rims are those???

Thanks.

Regards,

CF
Originally Posted by captainbaker
Fair enough. You paid your dues for being a forum sponsor and get to advertise your services. Thats the rules. For those of us who like to get their hands dirty, learn about the cars they drive and feel satisfaction on a job well done...I applaud the OP. He did a professional job that anyone can do if they take their time, prep and wants to know how their car operates. This is a perfect cheap DYI project that yields awesome results.

With that said, some jobs for some people are worth paying for. If you dont have the time, skills or endurance, its worth farming out. Oil changes come to mind. It aint worth the $30 to do my own.

Everyone appreciates the Pros chiming in with advice. Yall do it every day for a living. Please continue to drop nuggets of advice when able.
Thanks all.
I did caution in my initial post that I don't advise taking this on unless you are prepared to do it right. It's not easy and takes a lot of time (particularly the prep part which is 90% of the effort). It was also easier for me as I could still drive my 997 during the project because I only removed the base calipers and rotors when I had everything ready to swap out.

For those of us that like to DIY certain things because of the challenge, experience and satisfaction, this can be a very rewarding project.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:05 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I meant how did you block the hoses on the car after you took the calipers off?
Old 04-21-2016, 10:51 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
I meant how did you block the hoses on the car after you took the calipers off?
ah sorry I misunderstood your question
to plug the brake hoses I cut the tips off of a latex glove and wrapped them tightly over the hose end using rubber bands.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:35 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EMC2
ah sorry I misunderstood your question
to plug the brake hoses I cut the tips off of a latex glove and wrapped them tightly over the hose end using rubber bands.
Thanks! Your brakes look amazing. I'm not sure I can replicate those results so my calipers will go to Wheel Dynamics.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:13 PM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The spray grip made a huge difference in control
I got a set of rear calipers that needed some tlc
Appears the vht color is a little brighter than oem
Old 04-26-2016, 11:23 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jkw911
Thanks! Your brakes look amazing. I'm not sure I can replicate those results so my calipers will go to Wheel Dynamics.
Thanks JKW. Let us know when you have some pics. What color are you planning?

Originally Posted by Dan GSR
The spray grip made a huge difference in control
I got a set of rear calipers that needed some tlc
Appears the vht color is a little brighter than oem
Dan, are you comparing the new paint with some that has been on for a few years? If I compare the freshly painted ones on my 911 with the 2014 OEM's on my Panamera GTS they look like an extremely close match.

Out of interest, did you also bake the paint? Not that I think it has a direct impact on color, but rather on the gloss & texture which can have an impact on the perceived color.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:11 PM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't bake it
The front calipers are pretty old, which could account for the color difference
Old 04-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911

If you can prep your calipers that is key to getting a smooth clean first layer down, the rest is pretty much connecting the dots....

Last edited by Wheel Dynamics; 04-27-2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: update photo; wrong photo used.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:39 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 171 Posts

I know cooking these things in your own oven is probably not the best idea in the world. A toaster over or spare oven would probably work but toaster ovens are small.

What would be wrong with creating a box out of aluminum foil with metal framing. Picture a photo box but made out of metal and then putting that in the oven?
Old 04-29-2016, 04:36 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by workhurts
I know cooking these things in your own oven is probably not the best idea in the world. A toaster over or spare oven would probably work but toaster ovens are small.

What would be wrong with creating a box out of aluminum foil with metal framing. Picture a photo box but made out of metal and then putting that in the oven?
See pg. 1 of the thread
$60 countertop oven = easy solution. No need to make your kitchen smell like a paint shop

Old 05-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Good call. We replaced our toaster oven several years ago and I moved the old one out to the garage for just this reason. When I sandblast and paint metal parts, I use the toaster oven to both dry and pre-warm the metal parts and also to bake the finish. I have found that the parts that I do this process on wind up with not only a very uniform finish (paint adheres and flows better when sprayed onto a warm--not hot--metal surface), but an exceptionally durable finish as well.

When I built my shop, I briefly considered installing an old oven for this reason. It would be great to be able to bake larger parts, like wheels. It would have been a reason for me to get into powdercoating. But, I realized that an oven would take up too much space and I'd use it only a few times a year, so I discarded that idea. The toaster oven allows me to bake 75% of the parts I refinish anyway.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EMC2
Thanks JKW. Let us know when you have some pics. What color are you planning?
I think they will probably end up yellow.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:35 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 247 Posts

Nicely done
Old 05-19-2016, 10:24 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

thanks CB
Old 12-08-2016, 11:29 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Following the basics of this post, I chose to strip my calipers with paint stripper, wire wheel with a dremel tool, light sanding, and then cleanup with acetone as my prep. After VHT paint, I baked @ 300 deg F, for 1 hr.
After baked and cool, I applied high heat vinyl stickers and clear coat just over the sticker face area.

Here are the results of the procedure I used and yes, its all in the prep work. I went from thrashed black calipers to this. Three more to go... ; )
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Refinish DIY with VHT Paint & Caliper Upgrade on 997.2 C2 Base