Sponsored by:

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Cracked windshield

Anybody know the total replacement cost for a 997.2 windshield? Small rock had it out for me on the highway today.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:31 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, i just went through this. $1200 or thereabouts. Choosing a specialized installer is crucial. You will see many posts about Safelite and others the are fully dependent on the actual person doing the work. Highly recommend calling the Pcar dealer and asking who they use. That is what I did and went straight to him to get the fix. They will ask for your VIN and whether you have tint/ radio antennas so be ready.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:31 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

800 aftermarket glass 1100 oem glass
go thru dealer 1300-1500
Old 03-04-2016, 12:15 AM
dasdman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also think about getting Clearplex installed after you get that new windshield installed. I have taken a couple of significant rock hits and it has marred the Clearplex but the windshield is untouched. As a side bonus, my glass was getting a bit pitted and the glue from the Clearplex did a nice job of filling in the small pits and eliminating that afternoon glare off of the pits.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:57 AM
winthorp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious about the Clearplex as I already got some pitting since picking up a 997 about 2 months ago and using it as my daily driver...

How hard was it to install the Clearplex (I assume you had a shop do the install)? Any imperfections like dust or smudges that are stuck below the film? Any bubbles or wrinkles? I did some research and it appears to be rather hard to install perfectly (much harder than paint protection film).
Old 03-04-2016, 02:16 AM
dasdman
Instructor

Originally Posted by winthorp
I'm curious about the Clearplex as I already got some pitting since picking up a 997 about 2 months ago and using it as my daily driver...

How hard was it to install the Clearplex (I assume you had a shop do the install)? Any imperfections like dust or smudges that are stuck below the film? Any bubbles or wrinkles? I did some research and it appears to be rather hard to install perfectly (much harder than paint protection film).
Yes I did have it done by a local shop. As I recall the cost was around $225 installed. I did find a couple of little of little, very small, dust bubbles after the install. It took about a week for all of the moisture to evaporate, the sheet is breathable and does let the moisture out. It became much clearer and less noticeable after a week or two. After a close inspection immediately after the installation where I found a couple of bubbles, I no longer notice them or suspect I could even find them. I suspect I will replace it again before too long as I have a couple of large bubbles now where I have been smacked good by rocks and it made it through the Clearplex. I'm thinking of it as pretty cheap windshield insurance...$75-$100/year.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:38 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree with secondshot to use a professional.

I have seen examples here where the windscreen was not mounted flush to the bodywork but was "sticking out" several mm and the seal was therefore not sealing properly.

I did it in Europe last year at Porsche Center at the same cost as described above. With my insurence I paid 30% of the cost. Install of new windscreen was perfect.

Last edited by Racetwin2; 03-04-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:04 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Try to go OEM with professional installer. I switched insurance companies to safeco just because they cover all the glass for free without a deductible.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:34 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

I just had mine replaced yesterday. it would have cost $1,350. Insurance paid for it with a $100 deductible. I had the insurance call my local Porsche dealer to inquire which glass replacement service they're using and the insurance then contacted them directly. They used OEM Porsche glass.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Lahainabry
Racer

Safelite did mine using an OEM windshield. I think you guys are correct about the installer.
2 guys showed up for my job. They did do a great job.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I replacement mine last year. Called all around checking on prices for aftermarket versus OEM. After reading many posts, decided to stick with OEM. The local Houston area dealership was less expensive than all others including Safelite, etc.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:40 PM
winthorp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dasdman
Yes I did have it done by a local shop. As I recall the cost was around $225 installed. I did find a couple of little of little, very small, dust bubbles after the install. It took about a week for all of the moisture to evaporate, the sheet is breathable and does let the moisture out. It became much clearer and less noticeable after a week or two. After a close inspection immediately after the installation where I found a couple of bubbles, I no longer notice them or suspect I could even find them. I suspect I will replace it again before too long as I have a couple of large bubbles now where I have been smacked good by rocks and it made it through the Clearplex. I'm thinking of it as pretty cheap windshield insurance...$75-$100/year.
Thanks! I too would consider it an insurance for not having to replace my factory windshield and will look into getting Clearplex installed by a local shop.

I've seen many cars on dealer lots that had their windshield replaced and the quality of the install varied quite a bit. Like others said it's all about finding a quality installer.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

In most states, it's the state not the insurer that regulates the cost of glass. Here in SC all glass is $0 deductible (windshilelds, side windows, reer windows - all of them). Call a couple body shops in TX and ask the question - also call your insurance agent since they'd be the one's processing the claim. If you're in a $0 glass deductible state, they also won't raise your rate for filing a glass claim. Also ask them about using OEM glass - just did this on my Infiniti even though it was over $400 more - no cost to me.

Whenever you have it done, after the windshield is set, the best thing to do is leave the car in your garage for a few days (the installers will tell you a few hours) and leave the side windows down, especially if you're not the only one with access to the car. If someone closes a door with the windows up before the adhesive is fully cured, it will push the glass up from the seal. Once that happens it will not cure right and you'll have nothring but problems with it.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
In most states, it's the state not the insurer that regulates the cost of glass. Here in SC all glass is $0 deductible (windshilelds, side windows, reer windows - all of them). Call a couple body shops in TX and ask the question - also call your insurance agent since they'd be the one's processing the claim. If you're in a $0 glass deductible state, they also won't raise your rate for filing a glass claim. Also ask them about using OEM glass - just did this on my Infiniti even though it was over $400 more - no cost to me.

Whenever you have it done, after the windshield is set, the best thing to do is leave the car in your garage for a few days (the installers will tell you a few hours) and leave the side windows down, especially if you're not the only one with access to the car. If someone closes a door with the windows up before the adhesive is fully cured, it will push the glass up from the seal. Once that happens it will not cure right and you'll have nothring but problems with it.
The insurance has Safelite coming out to see if they can repair it. If they cannot I can take it wherever I want and they will reimburse me. I have a $500 deductible if it needs to be replaced, ouch.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:07 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Kellen
Try to go OEM with professional installer. I switched insurance companies to safeco just because they cover all the glass for free without a deductible.
Did Safeco reimburse for an OEM windshield?

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield