Sponsored by:

Headlight washers not working?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:21 AM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Headlight washers not working?

I took my 997 for its NCT (Irish annual roadworthiness test) today and it failed because none of the headlamp washers are working. Not even a dribble. I turn on the lights press the small button under the wiper stalk and just nothing - not even the sound of a pump working. Is there a special fuse for this as I am hoping its a simple fix.

Checked the fuse and the fuse is OK. Now I am getting a warning to fill the windscreen washer liquid but its already full. The windscreen washers work fine.
Next I have to check the relay - how do I do that? There seems to be one specific relay for the headlamp washers.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=77063
Old 02-28-2016, 01:02 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

AFAIK when lights are on simply activate the washer.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:18 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

So that is a requirement in Ireland. Same requirement in all other EU countries? All cars or just some type of cars?
Old 02-28-2016, 06:35 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

First time I encountered this issue - I am sure the light washer have not been working for years as the car is washed every week and always garaged and rarely driven in the rain.

The tester said the washers are required to work because the vehicle has LED headlamps. They are the standard xenon headlamps. Seems totally silly to me.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:49 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if you could test the other method which washes the headlights once for every ten washes for the windshield.

You already have this i am sure, but here is the comment from the Owners Manual:
A - Headlight washer:
The washer sprays only while low beam or high
beam is switched on.
f Briefly push button A to operate headlight
washer system.
f If heavily soiled, repeat wash.
The headlight washer system automatically sprays
once for every ten times the front windshield
washer system is operated.
Note
The windshield washer nozzles are heated
when the ignition is on, as a precaution against
freezing.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:29 AM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Yes I tried the 10 + screen wash jets and no good either.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

I don't know about specifics on our 997s, but I had a Saab 900 spg and there was a little plastic check valve inline to the windshield washer nozzles. In that valve was a little spring with a ball and its purpose was to shut off the water stream abruptly so you didn't get water dribbles on the paint aroud the spray nozzles and to keep fluid from draining back to the reservoir so it didn't take extra time to repopulate the lines with fluid before it would spray.

Anyway, what would happen is the little ball on the check valve would swell up and completely blocked off the flow of fluid through it. Maybe look at a PET diagram on our cars and see if there are any check valves in the line. It's also possible the spray head itself contains a check valve. Unfortunately, to get to any of this stuff is probably going to require removal of the front bumper, which actually isn't that hard to do.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:46 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Following up on Petza's suggestion, I see that your car appears to be a 997.1 and I know the turn-signal/fog-light assembly can easily be removed as per the manual with its magic card (or flat credit cards if you don't have that, just beware of the raised numbers messing up your paint) to get to the base of the headlight washers without removing the bumper. The card trick may work for 997.2s as well but I've never tried. I'm not sure if that gives you enough working room to do this, but if it does you could try unplugging the hose from the washer nozzle to see if the juice gets that far and if so, then maybe the nozzle itself is clogged. I guess that seems unlikely but possible.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:16 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

I am assuming the problem is an electrical one rather than plumbing related as I would expect that some noise from the electric pump should be audible with the engine switched off? (but with the ignition and headlights switched on)

All there is a deafening silence.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:48 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

That seems to be a solid diagnosis. Sorry, I forgot that was in your original description. Let me see if I can make up for the wasted post:

According to the parts diagram, the headlight washer has its own pump and its part number is 997.624.502.00 and costs $63 (US) retail but can be found cheaper online (see http://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/au...omponents-scat). Of course, you can't tell if it is the pump, the switch, or something in-between. It would seem the pump would be the easiest to replace, but if that is wrong then you could be out that money. It must fail at times since I see it in stock at places including eBay (see http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-VDO-Head...0/391375823892) in the US. I don't know where you find it on the car though... if you have trouble finding it let me know and I'll see where the sound comes from on mine. If you have a multimeter you may be able to see if it is getting power but just isn't running... a likely sign of a failed motor.

I also looked at the Durametric programming guide that floatingwiki has been putting together to see if there was an option there but I don't see it (see https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ns-manual.html). Since it is an option of our cars, it may be simply disabled and it may require a PIWIS device to enable it. That is a wild guess though... I would have expected it to show up on the Durametric if it was there, but what do I know?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Thanks for that storm - as you say it may be a lot simpler if I just replace the pump as I don't have a multimeter and always try to avoid upsetting trim and parts unless its absolutely necessary.

My trawling on the net has already established that the pump is located inside the front wheel arch liner on the passenger side (drivers side on LHD vehicles obviously)

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t...4943a29b49ca27

Anybody know is there a separate washer fluid bottle for the rear screen wiper. I note that there is no fluid coming out of this and it might explain the 'fill washer fluid' alert I am getting on the dash.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:52 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

The washer bottle assembly is actually pretty easy to access. Remove the front passenger wheel and then the few screws that hold the inner wheel well liner and once that's off you're there. Had to fix a leak on my wife's car where the fluid was running out where the line that feeds the pump from the bottle connects. Thought the tank was cracked so actually have a spare to sell if it turns out you need a tank.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:27 AM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Thanks - looks like I have a massive leak as well somewhere.The washer bottle was empty this morning and was empty again 10 minutes after I refilled it.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:50 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

So an update. Went at the headlamp washer issue today. Removed front passenger wheel and wheel arch cover which opens the view to the screen washer container. What an awkward place to put it. Anyway filled it with water expecting to see immediately the cause of this massive leak - except for one small problem. There was no leak this time. Previously it had been flowing out as fast as I was filling it.
So I could now see that the container was now full but still the headlamp washers would not work which blows my theory about a lack of water pressure in the system being the cause.

So I removed the water tank for the purposes of removing the two pumps. There are separate ones for the windscreen and headlamps. I got stuck when trying to remove the electrical connector - anybody know how these are removed?
The pumps have VW/Audi markings on them so I assume they are common VW/Audi fare and so hopefully cheap tp replace.
My purpose in removing the pumps is of course to check that they are working properly before replacing. So how do I do that for heavens sake?

Name:  20160412_192048_zpsxlipnbln.jpg
Views: 5660
Size:  471.8 KB
Name:  20160412_192036_zpst0mg606b.jpg
Views: 6016
Size:  353.1 KB
Old 04-22-2016, 07:43 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Another update:

1. The pump (headlamp washer one obviously) was tested and is working fine.
2. No power is going to the pump.
3. The switch on the wiper arm control was checked and is functioning normally
4. All the relays and fuses were checked and are fine.

So it would have to be complicated. The latest theory is that the module whatever that is is at fault. Apparently when it was also discovered that the heated seats are not working my mechanic pointed the finger at the module.

What is the module?

Quick Reply: Headlight washers not working?