Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless music stream in 997.2 - super easy way via bluetooth!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:35 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by F308gt4
I wonder the same thing. I ordered one from Amazon a couple of days ago. I should be receiving it today and will test it out. One of the pictures in the listing looks like the device is only plugged into the usb slot, but who knows. I'll try it tonight to see if it works.

Amazon.com : (Smart $ Portable) MINI USB Bluetooth 3.5mm Stereo Audio Music Receiver & Adapter for Home Stereo, Portable Speakers, Headphones, Car (AUX In) Music Sound Systems, & More 3.5mm Media Devices : Electronics

Right now I have a USB stick in the slot, which works really well, but it means every time I download a new song to my phone, I have to also make a copy of it to the USB stick also. I figure this bluetooth thingy will allow me to just play it directly from the phone wirelessly.
I got it in the mail today.

I tried it in the USB slot by itself, but it is not recognized by the PCM. It only works if the cable is plugged into the AUX slot.

This means that all control is through the phone and not the PCM. Not necessarily a bad thing, but user preference. If you stick a USB stick with music on it, you can control it via the PCM.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:58 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by F308gt4
I got it in the mail today.

I tried it in the USB slot by itself, but it is not recognized by the PCM. It only works if the cable is plugged into the AUX slot.

This means that all control is through the phone and not the PCM. Not necessarily a bad thing, but user preference. If you stick a USB stick with music on it, you can control it via the PCM.

Hope this helps.

Right, that unit is a BT adapter to AUX. Actually, keeping control in the iPod/iPhone is just fine.

How is the sound quality compared to a direct cable connection, say to AUX?
Old 03-03-2016, 10:47 AM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Right, that unit is a BT adapter to AUX. Actually, keeping control in the iPod/iPhone is just fine.

How is the sound quality compared to a direct cable connection, say to AUX?
About the same to me, but I'm not an audiophile. Only limited testing so far. Will try it out more. I did have one glitch yesterday where the Bluetooth pairing reset, but it hasn't happened again. But, like I said, not enough testing yet.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Just an alternative I found. I have a 2009 with PCM 3.0. I have the factory iPod connector with the USB and 3.5mm cable to the old 30 pin iPod connector.

Then I have a tune2air 1000 connected to the 30 pin connector
Looks like the WMA1000 model is no longer available but rather the WMA2000 or WMA3000 but I cannot figure out which one I should go for.

Does anyone have, and successfully use, either one of the models above or any other type/model and if you could share the BT type?

Last edited by Frank996; 06-01-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:47 PM
Translog
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here you go Frank ..on Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-22-2018, 05:04 PM
Translog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy92782
I should probably follow up my last post by saying Apple smart devices (iPhone) DO NOT support aptX. They support AAC. So the bluetooth streamer shown by the OP is probably the way to go.

FYI, Samsung licenses aptX so Galaxy S/Galaxy Note users can support it.
Thanks, Andy, just ordered this for my 997.2 to stream my Samsung S8 Android phone.

Amazon Amazon

Will let you know how it goes.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:37 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Will any of these devices automatically connect or do I have to manually connect it every time I get into the car?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:45 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

I use this magnetic phone holder that fits snugly into the cd slot and holds my phone. It will tilt in any direction. Works great, I attached the adhesive thin metal plate to the back of my phone and it grabs the magnet firmly. Use the Source button and select Auxilary. Use your bluetooth selection on your cell phone to match it up.

This works great for me. Streams all my music from my phone. Plugs into my Universal Audio Interface into the USB slot. That's it! Simple!
Old 08-22-2018, 11:33 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Will any of these devices automatically connect or do I have to manually connect it every time I get into the car?
I use the BoVee paired to a Samsung S8.
Albeit it takes a few seconds, it automatically connects so long as I have my phone's BT turned on. I just find it quicker to manually connect, and do that most times.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:59 AM
systech
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2000
Hi Rennlisters,

I thought I'd share a super cheap and easy way I found to stream music wirelessly in my 997.2. I bought a $16 Nulaxy Bluetooth headset on Amazon, which connects to the USB and AUX jacks. Pairing the phone and the device is simply, though you do have to press the headset button each time you start the car to setup the connection. It's amazing this great little device can make the car feel that much more modern. Here's a short review I filmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwLJ...ibN52L&index=5

Cheers,
-D
I personally don't like the concept of using a headset in the car because of the interference to other environmental audio (i.e. car horns, engine noise etc)
Old 08-23-2018, 09:54 AM
Translog
Rennlist Member

Austin,

You usually only pair it once, and it will remember the connection unit. However, some don't and require you to pair every time. Depends on the unit, you will have to read the details of the functionality on the manufacturer's website and check out the reviews on the product.

Best

Pierre
Old 08-23-2018, 10:08 AM
Translog
Rennlist Member

This unit can be used as a transmitter as well as a receiver in BT.

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-23-2018, 03:21 PM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have this but haven't tested this yet on the 997 for my Samsung S8+

Old 08-23-2018, 03:50 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

The recently posted devices likely work fine, including the headset used to stream audio into AUX. All good cost effective options.

Bought from another Rennlister, I went with the BoVee specifically as it is designed to interface with our car's PCM system. Via the iPod port, aside from streaming audio this device also enables some control by way of the head unit (and/or steering buttons). If used with IOS, apparently even the song/artist information displays on the PCM.

Rather limited, I use the BoVee with a Samsung S8 (Android). The track info is a generic "123" Next (or something like that). Safety wise, I am relieved that I can at least skip, replay, etc. using the PCM buttons rather than tapping my phone.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:54 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Ha, I'm an idiot I bought this Tune2Air when I first got the car. I was paranoid that the LED continued to blink when the car was turned off so I kept unplugging it thinking it would drain the battery. So I quit using it. Fast forward a few years and I got a new 4Runner that automatically connects to Bluetooth on my phone and I love it. So I was interested in doing this in the 997. Tested the Tune2Air and it stops blinking once the car is off long enough and works great and all of the song information and IPhone can be controlled from the headunit. I have it in my 2009 997.2. Problem solved and money saved.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Wireless music stream in 997.2 - super easy way via bluetooth!