Sponsored by:

No-Rinse Wash - I'm a believer

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 04:55 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rjshar
The more I think about this, the more I think it is just as safe, if not safer than a two bucket method. You presoak the panels, so the lubrication is there, then you use a new side to a clean microfiber with every swipe, until you finish the panel. I don't see how any additional exposure to scratching is taking place so long as you're not washing caked on mud or pressing super hard, which would also be an exposure to scratching with a two bucket method.
It all depends on how careful you are with a no rinse wash compared to a normal wash. With a two bucket wash, I get less microswirls than with ONR but the difference is only noticeable after a year of doing that. I also have a black care so it is easier to see microswirls

To the general public, the car looks exactly the same.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:02 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Went there three times. Once with my car, twice with a long term loaner Jeep from a friend.
It's actually $30 now and it's half assed for $30 (same towel on wheels as body(!!!), didn't vacuum under seats, didn't dry inside door seams, etc). Won't go there again with my car.
Yeesh, I didn't notice them using the same towel on the wheels and body, I'd usually drop the car off and run across the street to file something at DOAH or the City Commission on Human Relations for work. I used them twice ~3-4 years ago, and was going to use them again for the 911, but not anymore!
Old 02-23-2016, 05:04 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The general public just runs through any old car wash. I know of a 200,000 mile black Cayenne who has only ever been through mechanical car washes weekly. It still looks great from 20 ft away, but I don't have the best eye sight
Old 02-23-2016, 06:09 PM
Melbourne15
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

This may be a silly question, but will a touch less car wash put too much water through the air intakes? I always wash the car by hand in the drive way, and when I am drying I pop the engine cover and water drips all over the air intake and a little goes into the two intake openings themselves. There is a nice water only "laser" wash that I use on the wife's SUV in the winter. It does a decent job, and then I dry the water off at home. Would love to use it for the 911, but not sure how much water will get into the engine bay.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:47 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I understand, at least here in Canada, the touchless washes use harsher soaps than regular washes so that they can get your car clean. I've been told that these soaps are quite hard on the finish.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:05 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by orange260z
From what I understand, at least here in Canada, the touchless washes use harsher soaps than regular washes so that they can get your car clean. I've been told that these soaps are quite hard on the finish.
This is generally correct for all mechanical car washes - harsh soaps to make it more effective. Some also depend on the mix the person refilling puts in. You're way better off hand washing yourself.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:07 PM
Melbourne15
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I did not think about the chemicals. Makes sense. When I take the wife's SUV through, when the dryer comes on the entire hood vibrates along with the windshield wipers. Luckily we specced the entire vehicle to be wrapped with a clear shield. I use the 997 as my daily and it's no fun trying to keep it clean in the winter with hand washing.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:53 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
This is generally correct for all mechanical car washes - harsh soaps to make it more effective. Some also depend on the mix the person refilling puts in. You're way better off hand washing yourself.
If you want anything done right, you've got to do it yourself ...

Parking, washing, servicing your car - it's all too true.
The following users liked this post:
MightyHawk (09-07-2020)
Old 02-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
If you want anything done right, you've got to do it yourself ...

Parking, washing, servicing your car - it's all too true.
Praise be! Chorus sing! The TRUTH be told!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-07-2016, 01:40 PM
hankcah
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use 3 washmitts, giving you 6 fresh sides. Using the last 1-2 on the lower rocker panels. The instructions say "section by section" but I just do 1 side of the car, then dry. Filling a rinse bucket takes 2 minutes, so you may as well use it. Especially when the car is that dirty.

Using clean drying rags is just as important. And being sure to wash them with proper detergent. And getting nice waffle weave drying towels that actually dry on the first wipe will help instead of going over 5 passes to get a panel dry.

Quick Reply: No-Rinse Wash - I'm a believer