Sponsored by:

Question about lowering springs, stock shocks, and high mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 06:24 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ruhroh
Would be curious to know what you end up settling on, I have the exact same problem as you. I have a 997 in Dallas, one of my struts has some weeping... wonder what kind of set up would be optimal w/ these terrible roads.
I have a set of very low mileage oem shocks available in the marketplace if you want to freshen up your suspension without spending a lot!

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...-struts-2.html
Old 02-23-2016, 10:00 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JuanK20
I installed H&R springs on my car at about 75k. Stock shocks. I have 81k on it now. Still rides great.
Thanks. I'm at about 120k but the suspension is still good everywhere. Checked documentation and service records when I first bought the car and nothing mentions replacing shocks. I'm curious if they were ever swapped out and I just don't have the record of the work being done. The everything currently feels and rides like new.

Thinking about just doing the springs and a DSC. Hmmm..
Old 02-18-2017, 02:33 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by drockzcity
Thanks. I'm at about 120k but the suspension is still good everywhere. Checked documentation and service records when I first bought the car and nothing mentions replacing shocks. I'm curious if they were ever swapped out and I just don't have the record of the work being done. The everything currently feels and rides like new.

Thinking about just doing the springs and a DSC. Hmmm..

At 120k miles I would think the shocks would be nearing the end of their life (or at least be below optimal performance on the wear curve). With lowering springs you will also be putting more load into the shocks at the limits.

Given the labor cost I would suggest just doing springs and shocks at the same time and it will save you several hundred $ down the road. Just my 2c
Old 02-18-2017, 03:30 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Shocks and springs. At least every 50 on shocks and lower the sob while you're there. Bilstein B6. Eibach lowering springs -20mm. Going to replace the lower control arms and anything else worn. It's a slow DIY and trip to alignment shop or PPP. Cheaper to keep her, and nice DD upgrade. Keeps me away from the new car lot!

Quick Reply: Question about lowering springs, stock shocks, and high mileage