Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:49 PM
nova1968
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $cott Finley

Originally Posted by Edlebby
has anyone dealt recently with:

Scott Finlay Motorsports in South Miami?

as you can probably tell, i am looking for a really, really solid indie 911 mechanic to develop a long term relationship with

thanks!
$cott Finlay in my opinion is the best mechanic in South FL but super expensive, I don't go to him unless its something that requires expertise and I want the job done right,
Old 05-31-2017, 08:51 PM
nova1968
AutoX

Default Champion

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
I used Champion on my 993TT years ago. Despite it being an older car they were excellent, acting as my eyes and ears on the car.
Yes, as they say if your worried about the price don't even bother to bring it in.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:37 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nova1968
I've dealt with quite a few Porsche mechanics in South FL, here is my take
Champions is good if money is no object
$cott Finlay will do the job right the first time but he very pricey
Gulf is good but they often cannot get the car repaired right away due to substantial inventory
Stokes is good for minor repairs, I never had any major work done from him, he has relatively minor operation
Foreign Affairs, they have a good marketing campaign but from experience I don't trust them, they said I needed work that Champion and Finlay said did not need to be done
They also work on Mercedes and BMW with a mix of Porsches
Not sure how this thread got resurrected but I think it will be helpful for those looking for Miami area shops.

Nova1968 has a good list of shops above but they are in Broward, which is relatively far from many areas of Miami, particularly the southwest area. I would add KMW motorsports to his list.

For those looking for Miami shops, here are the major shops I know of. No endorsements, just listing.

-Scott Finlay. Can be controversial (see above). As far as I know he stopped doing official PPIs a long time ago.
-Parkhaus1. Strong online and community presence. Really nice guys (Ask for Alvaro or Suneal). They sell mostly collectible cars but I’ve seen all sorts of regular P cars in their shop. They do official PPIs.
-Specialty Car Services (Kendall). Adam the owner races cup cars and they have extensive Porsche mechanical and body shop knowledge.
-European Auto Center. Luis Gil’s shop has been around for ages and he is very knowledgeable. There are always lots of cool air cooled specimens in his shop.
-Vertex Auto. They’ve been in the business for a very long time. I buy parts there but don’t know much about their shop other than always seeing cool P cars parked outside.

I’m sure there are others I’ve missed.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:13 PM
nova1968
AutoX

The reason I revived this post is because you have to be selective when having a Porsche worked on.
Of course you can take it to the dealer where " if you are worried about the price don't even bother to bring it in mentality". For someone who wants quality work and wants to save on the expenses its good to know a quality independent Porsche shop. Its not like owning a Ford or Toyota where there are dozens of options very close by. Of course many Mercedes and BMW mechanics will say the can work on Porsches but other than a battery replacement there is considerable risk.
Here is the Criteria I look for in an Independent Porsche shop
1) Honesty
2) Competence
3)Reasonable Price
4) Location

These categories definitely narrow down the options from 12 shops in South FL to maybe one or two.

Of the shops mentioned in the preceding post I have only gone to Finlay because I was willing to pay high prices for guaranteed work however he seems a little too pricey, For example He wants $1250 to change a water pump??
I have bought parts at Vertex but have not heard too much about their work.
I heard good things about Gil but too far from my home in South Broward.
I might try Parkhause, As the say a new broom always sweeps good.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:20 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 210 Likes on 142 Posts

eh. I tried to contact Parkhaus and never got an answer on the phone. Sent an email.. never got a reply. It's fine, I was being lazy about changing the oil and was going to have them do it, glad they weren't responsive as I ended up doing it myself (as I should have to begin with).

Quick Reply: Suggest shop for PPI in Miami area