Sponsored by:

The beginning of the end...for Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The beginning of the end...for Top Gear

Think this show was doomed the moment it went off the air. Obviously, not supporting abuse in any shape or form but recovery from that hit is gonna be near impossible.

Read this article about the new hosting lineup.
Matt LeBlanc hosting top gear
Old 02-04-2016, 10:21 AM
der Geist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. I think that they should have pulled the plug on it when they fired Clarkson. With all the changes in the meantime it looks like a big cluster****. As my wife would say "the universe is telling you NO!" LeBlanc is a nice enough guy but he can't fill Clarkson's shoes and no matter how the BBC spins it that is what people will be expecting.

Personally, I am looking forward to the Amazon/Clarkson/May/Hammond show. I think it will be much better than Top Gear as they will have a budget that is 5 times larger to work with.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:44 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Catch 22: Clarkson's sarcasm, arrogance and antics really helped the show and create the silliness that was needed, but he buffered it with seriousness, true automobile enthusiasm and many other intangibles. But those kind of characters are usually a goddamn pain in the *** to deal with.

I never liked the bulk of antics that wound up with some goofy road trip. Celebrity in cheap cars... The Stig... many reviews... all good. My favorite piece of all time was Clarkson destroying Mays(?) for buying a Ferrari 430 just as the 458 came out, and then he compared the two.

You need a cocky, arrogant, sarcastic and condescending character to manage that. Sure, some was theatre, but Clarkson was a natural ***.

What made him also led to his downfall. He finally admitted to liking Porsches, too.

Last edited by Philster; 02-04-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:56 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

this is gonna bomb, hard.

I always liked their road trips. Buying cheap used cars to go beating around in was entertaining to me.

After a while the perpetual oversteer car reviews get old though.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:01 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 205 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
Catch 22: Clarkson's sarcasm, arrogance and antics really helped the show and create the silliness that was needed, but he buffered it with seriousness, true automobile enthusiasm and many other intangibles. But those kind of characters are usually a goddamn pain in the *** to deal with.

I never liked the bulk of antics that wound up with some goofy road trip. Celebrity in cheap cars... The Stif... many reviews... all good. My favorite piece of all time was Clarkson destroying Mays(?) for buying a Ferrari 430 just as the 458 came out, and then he compared the two.

You need a cocky, arrogant, sarcastic and condescending character to manage that. Sure, some was theatre, but Clarkson was a natural ***.

What made him also led to his downfall. He finally admitted to liking Porsches, too.

I would add led to his downfall from the BBC. I wouldn't call it a downfall when he's getting payed a ton more money and will probably have MUCH more freedom with Amazon.

I'm really looking forward to the Amazon show. I hope it's uncensored since it's a payed service.

The new Top Gear... meh. I'll give it a chance, but I don't have very high expectations at this point.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes... I'll concede the 'downfall' point.

Anudder question: Where is Fifth Gear?!

Old 02-04-2016, 11:09 AM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm amazed how much hate gets thrown at the show before it's even aired. Sure, the "new" format Top Gear that Clarkson and crew put together took on a life of its own, and then Clarkson went and killed it by being an idiot. I'm not saying the BBC isn't a little bit culpable given how they tried to force changes on a show that didn't need it, but at the end of the day, the show died when Clarkson got cranky and punched a PA in the face.

Now, Clarkson, May, and Hammond have a new show in production and are working with an insane budget and little to no intrusion from Amazon. If its anything like what Top Gear was producing in 08-10, then it'll be great; or it could be completely different and be great. It's not likely to bomb based solely on the on screen chemistry of the three presenters; they could be filmed playing dominoes for an hour and people would still watch.

Now, back to new new Top Gear...who the hell knows what will happen. The format appears to be completely new and just like when Clarkson and Hammond rebooted old Top Gear, it may take a little while to find its footing...seriously, the first few series were far from the BAFTA-winning show that it eventually became.

In short, give the damn thing a chance before you crap all over it. Maybe it will suck and it will go away...so what? I still enjoy watching random Top Gear episodes from from the early aughts anyway, and those aren't going anywhere.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:19 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hated "Friends".

But oh my God Lisa Kudrow .... I'd tolerate the show just to gawk and stare at her for ... Uh ... Reasons.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 987 Posts

I think they are going to add Chris Harris. I watch everything he does on YouTube, and he really can drive.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Melbourne15
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I will confess to being a huge fan of the "old" Top Gear with Clarkson, May, and Hammond. Their chemistry together was what made the show for me. I have also read some of Clarkson's books, and while I do not agree with everything he says, I find his "tell it like it is" character refreshing. Will the new Top Gear be any good, we will see in May, but I do expect it to be kinder and gentler. And that alone might just kill it for me. I can't wait for Clarkson and co.'s show to air on Amazon.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by jglaze
I'm amazed how much hate gets thrown at the show before it's even aired. Sure, the "new" format Top Gear that Clarkson and crew put together took on a life of its own, and then Clarkson went and killed it by being an idiot. I'm not saying the BBC isn't a little bit culpable given how they tried to force changes on a show that didn't need it, but at the end of the day, the show died when Clarkson got cranky and punched a PA in the face.

Now, Clarkson, May, and Hammond have a new show in production and are working with an insane budget and little to no intrusion from Amazon. If its anything like what Top Gear was producing in 08-10, then it'll be great; or it could be completely different and be great. It's not likely to bomb based solely on the on screen chemistry of the three presenters; they could be filmed playing dominoes for an hour and people would still watch.

Now, back to new new Top Gear...who the hell knows what will happen. The format appears to be completely new and just like when Clarkson and Hammond rebooted old Top Gear, it may take a little while to find its footing...seriously, the first few series were far from the BAFTA-winning show that it eventually became.

In short, give the damn thing a chance before you crap all over it. Maybe it will suck and it will go away...so what? I still enjoy watching random Top Gear episodes from from the early aughts anyway, and those aren't going anywhere.
The new C, H, and M amazon series will likely be good because of the relationships the presenters have.

These other guys...nope. The new top gear will bomb, guaranteed.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:51 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking forward to the new Top Gear with Evans and LeBlanc !
Think it will do well.
I stopped watching the old Top Gear since a few seasons.
Became so boring and predictable. And the scripted conversations where mostly just lame.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:13 PM
TXSailor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite TG episode was the Vietnam special. I enjoyed watching with my kids who are huge fans of the antics. I hope the Amazon show isn't too R rated for that. I have zero expectations for new TG. I am sure I will watch it.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:32 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I too hope the new Amazon show is uncensored to a point to get some of their more off color jokes. Remember the"he was an...um...interesting gentleman" after they swabbed and tested the seats in a used BMW or Merc? A white powder residue, herbal remnants and vaginal fluids found on the seats
Matt LeBlanc how many chances does this guy get to ruin a show? (never seen an entire episode of friends) I'll likely watch every episode of TG though.
I think if i would have spent any extended time around Clarkson I would have punched him square in the nose... then prol bought him a beer after he complimented my POOWWWERR!
Old 02-04-2016, 01:36 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Clarkson, Hammond and May were relatively unknown before they became famous on Top Gear but first and foremost, they're car guys. They're also very talented when it comes to writing - all you need to do is read some of the printed car reviews they've authored over the years to understand. I think that core creativity is a huge part of why Top Gear became so successful.

I don't know about Chris Evans but I have my doubts Matt LeBlanc possesses the same level of raw linguistic talent Clarkson, Hammond and May do, regardless of how big of a car guy he is. Hopefully they can bag Chris Harris because he's a triple threat: an undeniable car guy, a talented way with words and lots of experience making cars go sideways around corners.

Quick Reply: The beginning of the end...for Top Gear