Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The beginning of the end...for Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 01:38 PM
Paqueras
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Joey is just a character in "Friends" probably Matt Leblanc is a cool guy and i know he is a passionate about cars... lets see what he can do!

Give this man a large BEER! (y)
Old 02-04-2016, 01:43 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

While I think the cast of the new Top Gear are not well suited, to help balance the Joey references - watch a TV show called Episodes - will change your perspective on Matt a little.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:54 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Link Updated: They bagged Chris Harris!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cele...resenters.html
Old 02-04-2016, 01:58 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
Link Updated: They bagged Chris Harris!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cele...resenters.html
Old 02-04-2016, 03:02 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If the new show is different then the old show I may like it.... the antics and silly staged euro comedy fell flat for me time after time. Rather watch so many other car related shows; Fantomworks, Bitchen Rides, Gas Monkey, the spin off with the rejects from Gas monkey, any of the auction shows (Mecum to barret) to Chasing Classic cars, East Coast Customs (yeah I said it) and on down the line...

bunch of britts poopin on america and turning **** box cars into campers and water taxis was a snooz fest.

Bast 2 minutes was stig, period... the American version with the drifter kid was even better. (forgot his name...Tanner Foust?)

lets the stones commence....
Old 02-04-2016, 04:26 PM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The BBC has to try and keep to this show going. It has been their cash cow and was worth $1B a year as a franchise. I can't see it lasting long with the new hosts.

I hope the Amazon show is good.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

BBC doesn't need Top Gear. They need a show as good as Top Gear. The new one may be different... or better.

Clarkson was very entertaining... he is also a jerk. There is a false assumption that he made the show.... the execs at BBC had a lot to do with it also.... it is the sum of its parts and CLarkson was one... an important one, but one.

There are many paths to success.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-04-2016, 11:23 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

^^^^ I agree Bruce. Clarkson was/is a peach though...

The american one, albeit waaay watered down and pc, was good. I liked it. Did it get canceled? i couldn't find any data on H2....(the channel)
Old 02-04-2016, 11:43 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Think this show was doomed the moment it went off the air. Obviously, not supporting abuse in any shape or form but recovery from that hit is gonna be near impossible.

Read this article about the new hosting lineup.
Matt LeBlanc hosting top gear

Will be tough for them to be compared to the original Top Gear crew. Everybody deserves a chance so let us judge after the first few shows. Wish them good luck.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:14 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

I'm looking forward to the new Top Gear. They have a good chance of success as long as they don't try to reproduce the old one and find their own stride instead.

Isn't it great to have more shows that cater to car guys?
Old 02-05-2016, 07:51 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lisa kudrow? While I rarely watched Friends, being busy with life, she strikes me as someone who has to have instruction again and again on how to use a light switch to turn lights on and off.

As for the former Top Gear show, it was entertaining, and a lot better than the scripted American shows on restoring cars on our channels. For those, you need a nasty owner, a dumb appearing mechanic, a weird guy, some chubby girl in the main office, lots of tatoos, one mechanic who doesn't speak English, and half of them have to have beards. Pretty standard stuff.

On the other hand, reading English car magazines is far more interesting than our own car mags. Our car magazines compared to British ones, are like comparing light beer to Stout.

All the best....

all the best....
Old 02-05-2016, 08:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,763 Likes on 4,303 Posts

Would've liked to see just Chris Harris and Tanner Foust host a new generation of Top Gear. Both those guys can drive and any challenges would've been very entertaining with lots of sideways sliding tire smoke. Challenges on the American Top Gear weren't really challenges unless they significantly handicapped Tanner. On the bright side, BBCs new Top Gear can now be a drinking game - take a swig everytime Chris Harris says "proper".
Old 02-05-2016, 09:55 AM
der Geist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NAM VET
Lisa kudrow? While I rarely watched Friends, being busy with life, she strikes me as someone who has to have instruction again and again on how to use a light switch to turn lights on and off.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. In terms of women I would want to see on TV I can think of a few hundred I would rather see than Lisa Kudrow. That "dumb blonde" act gets old pretty fast.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:01 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by der Geist
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. In terms of women I would want to see on TV I can think of a few hundred I would rather see than Lisa Kudrow. That "dumb blonde" act gets old pretty fast.
In fairness, she's playing a character on screen hard to judge what she really is like. FYI she graduated from Vassar with a degree in biology. That's hardly a charm school.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:04 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
I hated "Friends".

But oh my God Lisa Kudrow .... I'd tolerate the show just to gawk and stare at her for ... Uh ... Reasons.
Lisa? I never heard that one. I guess to each their own.

Quick Reply: The beginning of the end...for Top Gear