Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 11:00 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Read the tests. See how results are tallied. In one of the most quoted and referenced tire tests, MPSS won based on "subjective road noise'', even though the sound levels measured in decibels was lower on the Bridgestones. In another, MPSS won based on a subjective feel during a wet autocross.

I read the comparo tests, and many are tallied by morons.

The top several makes are so close in real-world driving that it's negligible. Also, you might want to buy 6+ MPSS tires, because if you need to replace one, it's gonna suck when they're always out of stock and you need a replacement.

Last edited by Philster; 04-29-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:30 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had the MPSS's on two Porsches, and now also have them on a daughter's turbo MINI, and a Jag. While I cannot say how they handle at the limit, not having them on a track, they absolutely do last at least half again as long as some of the other brands on our cars. Which of course makes them cheaper, per mile driven.

All the best.....

NV
Old 04-29-2016, 02:49 PM
Makosurf
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone explain the difference between these two tires besides the $60.00?

I only need the rears, or I wouldn't be doing the P Zero's again, fronts are still good.
If you compare the two (Tire Rack) the only difference is OD and section width, how can that be??

Old 04-29-2016, 02:58 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

The first tire has some sort of Audi-specific rating. The second tire has the Porsche N2 rating which is pretty demanding. There is some explanation of the requirements of N ratings here: http://flatsixes.com/porsche-product...hoosing-tires/

Last edited by StormRune; 04-29-2016 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Forgot link!
Old 04-29-2016, 02:58 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

The difference: N and non-N rated tires of the same brand/type have a different compound mixture, possibly even a different sidewall construction... sometimes a slightly different tread.

Some say the 911 really needs those N rated tires, given the 911 is going to offer higher loads on the tires (for a variety of reasons).
Old 04-29-2016, 03:09 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
The difference: N and non-N rated tires of the same brand/type have a different compound mixture, possibly even a different sidewall construction... sometimes a slightly different tread.

Some say the 911 really needs those N rated tires, given the 911 is going to offer higher loads on the tires (for a variety of reasons).
I doubt the Audi spec and N rated tires are different. My guess is you are paying for the certification.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:22 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
I doubt the Audi spec and N rated tires are different. My guess is you are paying for the certification.
Just for the record, Tire Rack's article warns otherwise. Here is the applicable excerpt:
It is also important to know that while Porsche N-specification tires have been fine tuned to meet the specific performance needs of Porsche vehicles, the tire manufacturers may also build other tires featuring the same name, size and speed rating as the N-specification tires for non-Porsche applications. These tires may not be branded with the Porsche N-specification because they do not share the same internal construction and/or tread compound ingredients as the N-specification tires. Using tires that are not N-specific is not recommended and mixing them with other N-specification tires is not permissible.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...&affiliate=WC3
Old 04-29-2016, 03:34 PM
Makosurf
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Just for the record, Tire Rack's article warns otherwise. Here is the applicable excerpt:
It is also important to know that while Porsche N-specification tires have been fine tuned to meet the specific performance needs of Porsche vehicles, the tire manufacturers may also build other tires featuring the same name, size and speed rating as the N-specification tires for non-Porsche applications. These tires may not be branded with the Porsche N-specification because they do not share the same internal construction and/or tread compound ingredients as the N-specification tires. Using tires that are not N-specific is not recommended and mixing them with other N-specification tires is not permissible.
Thanks all for the quick replies, I did just look and yes there is a "N2" rating on my current tire. For S&Gs i would be curious to see if i ordered the Audi version if it wouldn't have the same N2 rating. I have a Q7 that i have used these in the past. The Q7 is such a tank i am surprised it doesn't require the same rating. Porsche sticking it to you again! JK Thanks again
Old 04-29-2016, 06:29 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Good find. I underlined the "may". I don't doubt there is some difference, obviously the mold is different so you get a N designation, however, I would bet most of the difference is part of a partnership between two companies. Similar to how the Pilot Sport Cup 2 were "designed" for the 918.

Anyway, you vote with your dollars, if you need/want the N spec, go for it!
Old 04-29-2016, 10:45 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

I really like how a premium brand like Porsche goes the extra mile to ensure a very specific compound can back up what the 911 is intended to do. R&D costs add up, then we all discard the the very specific but narrow edge such partnerships and development reveal.

Yes... we could all get away with non N tires (I suppose), but there's nothing like paying top dollar for premium brand (Porsche) only to forgo the little advantages built in by the premium development.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:03 PM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts

Yet MPSS (non N rated tires) are very highly valued by P-Car owners (although the 305s are not readily available) and the S04s (another non N-rated tire) are not a bad option as well (and are preferred over my N1-rated RE050A Bridgestones)!
Old 04-29-2016, 11:23 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

I'm being sarcastic. I always argue that MPSS aren't worth the effort or grief when you order four and can't get a replacement later. S04's are just fine. Tire tests are often unrealistic, biased and lame.

I was being funny, because we all rip things out of a premium car and go our own way with things.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:26 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
Read the tests. See how results are tallied. In one of the most quoted and referenced tire tests, MPSS won based on "subjective road noise'', even though the sound levels measured in decibels was lower on the Bridgestones. In another, MPSS won based on a subjective feel during a wet autocross.

I read the comparo tests, and many are tallied by morons.

The top several makes are so close in real-world driving that it's negligible. Also, you might want to buy 6+ MPSS tires, because if you need to replace one, it's gonna suck when they're always out of stock and you need a replacement.

Actually there is lot more than that that gets the MPSS all the hype. Several articles and tests and one in particular was at an F1 track and the tire was faster than the next fastest tire there (MPS2) by over 2 seconds.

I also remember reading an article (might be the same one) that was put on by tirerack and a car mag that talked about how great the tire was, but tire rack aka useless other models of tires, so it wasn't a ploy to undercut all the other tires.

I am on michelins right now, but I wouldn't mind trying the bridgestones if the MPSS aren't avail at the time I need to purchase. Sounds like the performance is very similar.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:52 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

How fast can you get around on three of them with one on backorder?

Old 04-30-2016, 08:53 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I find it interesting that Michelin has been talking about getting N rating for the PSS but have not achieved this yet. I am sure they are great tires as they get prime ratings at Tire Rack and C&D. However, some tire comparisons I have read indicate that they behave differently when hot and respond differently to steering inputs compared to PS2s. I might try them in the future but from, I just got 4 new PS2s from Tire Rack and will mount them on my car today. Perhaps we are talking subtleties but I do want to maintain the handling characteristics as closely as intended so I handed over the extra $ for the PS2s. I do not know why but there must be some reason that the PSSs do not have an N rating for the 911. By the way if you buy tires (any brand) from Costco, Tire Rack etc, ( I am talking about non-N, Audi, etc. spec), they are not the same as sold by by car dealers. I was told this by tire industry experts, the construction and / or rubber recipes for the OEM tires are more optimized for comfort, mpg, etc even when the tire model number is the same

Quick Reply: Tire Question