Sponsored by:

Help with new Bilstein B16 install - groaning/creaking noise when steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 03:58 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemessi
What is your ride height to top of front fender arch? If yours is set too high it will preload the spring beyond it's design and too low will be beyond the ability of the helper spring to keep it preloaded. Just a thought. My front is 26 1/2 inches.
Thanks for taking a look. The chassis is lowered about 10mm below stock PASM, so it should be within range.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:00 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

I want to thank all of you for weighing in. According to the advice here, I should be looking at:
1) torque of top nut (which could be binding the strut bearing)
2) presence of conical washer and piston rod spacer
3) orientation of the conical washer and piston rod spacer

Anything else to look at or test? Going to take the car back to the installer on Tues. I just saw that thread in the Turbo forum where someone's B16's snapped in half (gulp).

Here's the sound:

And I also just noticed a clunking noise coming from the front passenger area:
Old 02-01-2016, 09:51 AM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Just watched the videos, it definitely sounds like something is not right with the installation. The torque values that I posted earlier are directly from the service manual and the 59 ft lbs is referring to the large top nut. Here is a picture looking from the bottom of my coilover, you can see piston rod spacer and conical washer. Hope this helps!
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2016, 09:26 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Usually a new suspension will highlight other worn steering parts. I had the same experience. Culprit was bad tie rod ends. Try taking some WD40 and spraying a part at a time to narrow down the noise.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:40 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you take back to installer today? Any updates?
Old 02-04-2016, 02:45 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Update: The noise has been fixed!

I took the car back to my installer yesterday. They're a bunch of great guys that care about their work. The team took down the front coilovers, and confirmed that the top nuts had not been over-torqued. It turns out, the Bilstein manual specifies 54 ft-lbs for the M14 piston rod.

They then inspected the individual parts, including the piston rod washer and conical washer, and I personally confirmed with them that they were in the correct sequence and oriented according to the manual.

So where was the noise coming from? The most likely place was from the stock bearings, which had 60k on them. So they proceeded to clean and re-grease the bearings. They also applied grease to the plastic blue washer. And reassembled. Voila, creaking noise was gone! My car no longer sounded like I was walking on a the deck of an old pirate ship. And for some reason, the clunking noise disappeared too.

I have no idea why the upper mount bearings decided to become noise after putting the coilovers, when I had no problem with them with the stock suspension, but I don't care. I'm just glad it turned out not to be an install issue, and I don't have to go back to stock. So, I guess we can add "dirty" upper mount bearings to the list of things that can make noise when turning the steering wheel at low speed. Or maybe this is a sign that I should just get camber plates and be done with it.

THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to look at the photos, post diagrams and photos, and lend a hand, I really appreciate it. I hope this thread can help someone too in the future.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:35 AM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you're guys got it worked out.

I have a slightly used set of GT3 upper plates. PM me if interested.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:24 AM
Tgvr6
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, i m actually stuck with somme issues with my B16 damptronic pss10 on my TT.
i ve got the same noise as described in this thread.

i think, the top of the coilover is not compressed enough.
the conical washer can be shake with the hand, even if the car is on this wheel .
could you tell me if its normal ... on top of That, is the top nut is tighten correctly, does it move too ?

Old 07-10-2018, 11:40 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

For those of you who installed thrust/needle bearings, can you tell me where in the suspension "stack" you installed them?
Old 11-13-2021, 05:06 PM
997turbonewbie
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Tgvr6
Hi guys, i m actually stuck with somme issues with my B16 damptronic pss10 on my TT.
i ve got the same noise as described in this thread.

i think, the top of the coilover is not compressed enough.
the conical washer can be shake with the hand, even if the car is on this wheel .
could you tell me if its normal ... on top of That, is the top nut is tighten correctly, does it move too ?

did you get that sorted in the end? I heard some clonky noise whenever I go over bumps and found the same movement
Old 11-14-2021, 05:56 AM
Tgvr6
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 997turbonewbie
did you get that sorted in the end? I heard some clonky noise whenever I go over bumps and found the same movement
Yes , it was some dust stuck in the coilover. I send it back to bilstein, they did some maintenance and it’s over now.
for your issue , it seems to be a lower control arm if you get this noise on small bump at lower speed

Quick Reply: Help with new Bilstein B16 install - groaning/creaking noise when steering