Sponsored by:

Help with new Bilstein B16 install - groaning/creaking noise when steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:21 AM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
idlook2 and motopix, thank you for explaining the Bilstein install diagram. NOW I understand what they were trying to convey with the dotted rectangles. Ridiculously confusing.

Based on what I can see, I can confirm:
1. Bilstein nut - INSTALLED
2. Bilstein conical washer - ????
3. Upper strut mount - INSTALLED
4. Strut bearing - INSTALLED
5. Strut mount support ring - INSTALLED
6. Spring shim - INSTALLED
7. Bilstein conical washer - ?????
8. Bilstein shock rod washer - ????

So, how do I know if 2, 7, and 8 were installed, and if they were installed correctly?
Watch this video, at about the 15 minute mark he assembles the coilover and you can see each component:
Old 01-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Chowbow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay. Any idea why mine is fully compressed, but not on other installs?

No, it is pronounced with ANY steering wheel movement, no matter how slight, and no matter whether the tires are pointed straight ahead or locked to the left or right.

Oh, interesting, do you remember what the part number was? Also, should I have to modify the installation on brand-new coilovers in order for them to not make a horrible noise?
If the suspension is uncompressed and in full droop then the helper spring will be uncompressed. Once any weight is on it, it will compress fully. The rates are super low, maybe 50lbs/in?

If you're getting noise with any wheel movement it's highly unlikely spring bind like I mention then. It'll take a lot more steering angle to make spring bind a big noisy issue.

Not that you need them, based on what you're saying. But I don't have p/ns for the bearings. You normally buy them based on the spring ID, which if I remember correctly for most Bilstein offerings, is 60mm (don't quote me on that though).
Old 01-29-2016, 12:43 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Quick question - is the top nut (middle of photo) supposed to physically rotate when I turn the steering wheel back and forth? It's not.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:46 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Also, can someone double-check me? Is the top nut torque supposed to be:
24 ft-lb's (33Nm)
Old 01-29-2016, 09:50 AM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

24 ft-lb's (33Nm)
The top nut should turn with the shock when you turn the wheel.
edit: I'll have to go check my car again to verify this. When I had the grinding b/c they didn't install the shock cone washer, the top nut did turn. so maybe if there's a proper bearing in there (like I have now) it doesn't turn.

The video someone else posted above had the top nut torque at about 35 (can't remember if he stated the units).
Old 01-29-2016, 11:43 AM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

24 ft-lb's (33Nm)
From the 997.1 service manual, the torque for the top nut should be 59 ft lbs.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2016, 05:58 PM
TJ Elliott
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Damptronics on my 2007 C4S and can say that if they are installed properly which includes using a combination of OEM parts and ones supplied with the Damptronics then the struts will be quiet. It sounds like an incorrect install to me which is dangerous as the strut piston can break/sheer particularly if the conical washer wasn't installed. The conical washer dissipates the load force. This has been documented on other threads. Unfortunately, the only sure way to confirm correct assembly is to remove the strut from the car.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:00 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Originally Posted by motopix
The top nut should turn with the shock when you turn the wheel.
edit: I'll have to go check my car again to verify this.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by TJ Elliott
It sounds like an incorrect install to me which is dangerous as the strut piston can break/sheer particularly if the conical washer wasn't installed. The conical washer dissipates the load force. This has been documented on other threads. Unfortunately, the only sure way to confirm correct assembly is to remove the strut from the car.
A missing conical washer could cause the exact noise I'm describing with steering wheel movement?

Last edited by gasongasoff; 01-29-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:04 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A missing conical washer could cause the exact noise I'm describing with steering wheel movement?
Yes. That was the problem on my previous botched install.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:21 PM
TJ Elliott
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The missing conical washer puts undue stress on the strut rod at the base of the threaded portion. This is a critical issue that is imperative to address.

From my research the groaning originates from not using the correct combination of stock spring bushings with the Damptronic supplied parts. The supplied instructions are not very clear and it's easy to get the assembly wrong. The stock spring bushing allows the spring to rotate when the wheels turn and this eliminates the binding and groaning. This bushing needs to be removed from the stock strut and used with the Damptronic. From looking at your pictures it doesn't look like the bushing is there. It sits between the silver spring hat and the strut mount that has three studs and attaches to the body.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:02 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Just got Bilstein B16 coilovers installed on my 997.2! Slight problem though, whenever I turn the steering wheel at all, either direction, there's a creaking/groaning noise coming from both the front (imagine walking on old squeaky floorboards). We think it's coming from the upper strut mounts.

Any ideas?

Here are some photos in case anything looks out of the ordinary.

You have the rubber spring shim above the silver support ring. It should go between the silver support ring and Bilstein supplied spring hat as in this photo. Look closely at this pic compared to yours.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:05 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Just got Bilstein B16 coilovers installed on my 997.2! Slight problem though, whenever I turn the steering wheel at all, either direction, there's a creaking/groaning noise coming from both the front (imagine walking on old squeaky floorboards). We think it's coming from the upper strut mounts.

Any ideas?

Here are some photos in case anything looks out of the ordinary.

My phone inserted pics funny. Mine is the very top one. Look closely. Your rubber spring shim should be between the two silver pieces not above.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:09 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

They do look different to me, although the parts seems to match up with the youtube posted by idlook2 above. MikeMessi (top) and new photo from mine (bottom). Mike, is your vehicle a 997.2S too, by chance?

Originally Posted by mikemessi
MikeMessi's install

My install

Last edited by gasongasoff; 01-30-2016 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:00 AM
mikemessi
Racer

Well, your new photo looks correct to me. Not sure what I was seeing with your original pic. I think the white oxidation on the rubber shim made me think it was the metal support ring. My car is a 2011 997.2 C2 non S. I have the Bilstein pss9 installed as I didn't have pasm. Other than the pasm wire on top the install is the same (not sure if you have pasm or not). Mine are completely quiet and hope you get yours sorted out. I've been extremely pleased with ride quality and ride height. What is your ride height to top of front fender arch? If yours is set too high it will preload the spring beyond it's design and too low will be beyond the ability of the helper spring to keep it preloaded. Just a thought. My front is 26 1/2 inches.

My install[/QUOTE]
Old 01-30-2016, 10:08 AM
mikemessi
Racer

Another thought. I see your spring is turned relative to mine. I have the springs turned/oriented so that Bilstein part number and build dates are visible/ facing out. Not sure if this matters but it places the cut edge of the spring to the inside. Same with helper spring.

Quick Reply: Help with new Bilstein B16 install - groaning/creaking noise when steering