Sponsored by:

Need Key replacement for 2005 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 09:13 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Need Key replacement for 2005 997.1

What is the easiest and cheapest way to get a key replaced? Purchasing a 2005 CS2, and there is only 1 key (no spare and valet/emergency key). That being said, I am not too excited to run down to the dealer and spend $500-600 on a replacement. I have done a lot of research on this site and it looks like most of the threads are dedicated to moving the electronics from one key to the next.

Anyone that is familiar with this process, any advice would be much appreciated. I called 2 dealers in my area (live in South OC, calif). Newport Beach Porsche. Of course they are also a Bentley dealer and the location and clientele they serve, I would assume they would be the biggest rip off. I called tis AM and it sounds like the Key they have to order from Factory (they don’t have a cutter for the blank). It takes 2-3 days and it costs $280 to get the key and $88 to “program” it. Seems like a fairly reasonable deal, considering I thought that they would be more expensive. $366 total

Called Walters in Riverside. For those of you that live in the area, we don’t need to go over a lot of details, but lets just say that Riverside is totally different than Newport Beach.

The guy at Walters tells me that they do have a cutter. But they want something like $335 for the key and $160 labor, so the total ends up being close to $500 when all is said and done.

It looks like there are keys and options on ebay, but it sort of looks like those options only apply if you are moving the electronics over from another key, am I right? If not, can someone explain the process?

And the last option seems to be getting a fob from Suncoast for $180, a blank for $30, find a locksmith that has to cutting tool and could copy it for another $20-30 and then take it to Newport Beach for $88 and have them program it. $328 total. (Is this the correct process?)

Anyone familiar with this process, let me know if these are the more common options, or am I missing anything?

Also, what is required to get a spare valet key? could I just take my key down and have a locksmith copy the blank using a cheap one from Ebay and just use that to open and close the doors and drive the car with no alarm or using the hands free option to unlock the car? Or is there some type of chip in the stock valet key that will not allow for the car to be driven in this situation?

TIA
Old 01-22-2016, 10:14 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the keys are generic and will fit all 997's. The dealer will need all of your keys at the same time to program otherwise they are useless; the keys have to communicate with your car to function. Don't believe EBay ads that tell you that a locksmith can perform the programming.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:32 AM
soontobe
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same situation and tried to do the ebay key thing and move the existing key guts over. Disaster followed. Best bet is dealer and for $400 you are good to go.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:13 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I've bought new unused OEM key heads from eBay for about $150. Then take it to the dealer for a key blank, key cutting and programming. My dealer charged me about $100 to do this. All in was about $250. Worked perfectly.

Another guy posted the part number for the RFID chip inside the key head. Don't have the link so you'll need to do some searching. Haven't tried yet but in theory you could buy the $5 part from Digikey or the like and install it in a used key head, then key cut and program. Maybe $150 all in if you can scavenge the used key head cheap enough.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:09 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is there a way to replace the battery without buying a new key? one of mine seems to not hold charge.

edit: sorry, please disregard. found another thread.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:40 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
I've bought new unused OEM key heads from eBay for about $150. Then take it to the dealer for a key blank, key cutting and programming. My dealer charged me about $100 to do this. All in was about $250. Worked perfectly.

Another guy posted the part number for the RFID chip inside the key head. Don't have the link so you'll need to do some searching. Haven't tried yet but in theory you could buy the $5 part from Digikey or the like and install it in a used key head, then key cut and program. Maybe $150 all in if you can scavenge the used key head cheap enough.
That sounds very expensive. I bought two 997.2 key fobs with blank key blades from eBay for about 30 bucks. Just swapped the blades from the old key and moved the chips/transponders. Total cost of around 30 bucks.

Removing the chip was the trickiest part as it was glued with some epoxy type resin/glue.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:25 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

If you need a completely new key - get the blade from Keys in the Post. Cheap. Just take a picture and upload it.

Then get a keyfob from eBay and get it programmed.

-td
Old 02-25-2016, 02:22 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
The dealer will need all of your keys at the same time to program otherwise they are useless
What if I want to order a new key because I only have one ... and I currently cant find it !

Called Porsche
$455 CDN for key
$155 CDN labour
I'd have to flatbed the car there.

Some incentive to find the key !

Update: found my spare key. phew.

Last edited by 911searcher; 02-25-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:35 PM
Mzsaad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a key which I can take to a dealer to get it programmed. however the unprogrammed key on ebay is grey. wondering if the second key from the dealer is usually gray too? i never got the second set when purchasing so don't know.
here is the link from ebay.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Complete-OEM-...dU98A0&vxp=mtr
Old 10-05-2016, 07:22 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mzsaad
I found a key which I can take to a dealer to get it programmed. however the unprogrammed key on ebay is grey. wondering if the second key from the dealer is usually gray too? i never got the second set when purchasing so don't know.
here is the link from ebay.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Complete-OEM-...dU98A0&vxp=mtr
997.1 or 997.2 - Porsche changed the keys from .1 to .2 - .1 grey and .2 black with chrome. You may (or may not) receive a grey one, most likely will be black.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:57 AM
HermosaEd
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I dropped the daily used key for my 06 997, the clam shell came apart and would not stay together. I wrapped clear tape around it to hold the housing together and it kept working. But I couldn't stand using it after awhile. So went on youtube and found out that you can switch to a new key fob if the old key is still working.
I bought a key fob from ebay. I transferred everything to the new key with relative ease. But I had to break to old key to get the transponder pill out. I did so without damaging it. It was a bit tricky since it was glued to the housing. I placed the pill into the slot in the new key and I thought it would work just like the old key (said the guy on youtube).
I can use the key to unlock the door and the trunk, but it wouldn't start the car. I don't hear the click when inserting the key into the ignition (like the key #2 that is working). Do I need to bring it to the dealer for it to be programmed. I thought if everything was working, changing the fob wouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:59 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

There are 3 parts to the key

The blade - which will lock and unlock the doors.

The pill which is an rfid chip that is part of the security in the steering column

The board which is used for the remote functions

If you need a new board then you need to code that goes with it. The dealer can't see that with a PIWIS

It sounds like you broke the pill when you removed it.
If I recall correctly, you can replace this and the dealer can see it. So all I think you need is a new pill and a trip to the dealer.

Or you can buy a used key and transfer your board into it and get the pill programmed.

The board from a used key can not be used unless you have the original sticker with a code.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:10 PM
HermosaEd
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The board is working perfectly. I can use it in the new fob to unlock the door remotely. I transferred the key blade from the old key to the new one. The only component in question is the pill. It appears to be intact after I removed it from the old housing. But the car won't start, so I guess it is the pill that's not working right.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:00 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by HermosaEd
The board is working perfectly. I can use it in the new fob to unlock the door remotely. I transferred the key blade from the old key to the new one. The only component in question is the pill. It appears to be intact after I removed it from the old housing. But the car won't start, so I guess it is the pill that's not working right.
Assuming the transponder is still good, try this - it's from a 996 procedure but maybe it will work on a 997:

Sync 996 key -
Lock the doors from the outside by using the key in the door lock.

Unlock the drivers side door using the key in the door lock.

Within about 10 seconds or so, open the door and insert the key into the ignition. DON'T START THE CAR!!

With the key still in the ignition, push the unlock button on the key.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:51 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

If you don't think you broke it, the dealer can reprogram it without needing an id

Quick Reply: Need Key replacement for 2005 997.1