Sponsored by:

Lexus LC500 vs 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 01:29 AM
TheLex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by barbancourt

I would have to strongly disagree with you guys on that opinion. The LFA is already a classic and that V10 engine is a ridiculous marvel of engineering. Have you ever heard the sound it makes? An amazing car, and a rare beast to boot.

We're all fans of Porsche here, but let's not let our fandom get in the way of reality.

Feel free to disagree. I do not dispute that it is an amazing machine and engineered to the nines - and it should be at that price.

I actually like the styling when it originally came out. But as it ages, it is starting to look very dated. JDM cars tend to be that way. The Nissan GT-R just looks horrible IMO.

The one exception is the pre-facelift NSX, which IMO is going to become a collector's vehicle.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:35 AM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLex
Feel free to disagree. I do not dispute that it is an amazing machine and engineered to the nines - and it should be at that price.

I actually like the styling when it originally came out. But as it ages, it is starting to look very dated. JDM cars tend to be that way. The Nissan GT-R just looks horrible IMO.

The one exception is the pre-facelift NSX, which IMO is going to become a collector's vehicle.
The GT-R looks horrible?

The one exception of a JDM car not aging is the pre-facelift NSX? You are seriously saying that is the one single JDM car that aged well? Well damn. I guess you have a very strong bias. IMO, there are many JDM cars that aged well. The last generation Supra could be released today and be a hit.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:22 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

The GT-R looks horrible?

The one exception of a JDM car not aging is the pre-facelift NSX? You are seriously saying that is the one single JDM car that aged well? Well damn. I guess you have a very strong bias. IMO, there are many JDM cars that aged well. The last generation Supra could be released today and be a hit.
I'd say there is bias in both directions.

The supra is cool, but lets not get carried away.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:28 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 913 Posts

Last I checked, there were still brand new LFAs in dealerships as Toyota refused to discount them.

Lets hope (for the dealers sake) that this doesn't happen again.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:12 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

No - would not even make my short list. No substitute, not even a surrogate. But I bought a 911 because I wanted a 911, not a car. Bonus feature: its also a car.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:48 AM
TheLex
Instructor

The GT-R looks horrible?

I admit freely I have a very strong bias. I like what I like. I love the original pre-facelift NSX.

Supra? It's ok.

There's not a whole like of other JDM cars that I like much except maybe the original 240Z and the Datsun roadster.

I've owned a Nissan 350Z but that has not aged well at all.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLex
I admit freely I have a very strong bias. I like what I like. I love the original pre-facelift NSX.

Supra? It's ok.

There's not a whole like of other JDM cars that I like much except maybe the original 240Z and the Datsun roadster.

I've owned a Nissan 350Z but that has not aged well at all.
I liked the 92-94-ish Supra twin turbos, the 1990-96 300zx twin turbos, all S2ks, and all NSX. All great cars for their time and I think all have aged pretty well.

But some of this newer stuff??? 350/370z meh, GTR ugly, and lexus is becoming too transformerish.

The 993 is still my favorite non supercar, followed by the 997. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:34 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The GT-R looks horrible?
Yup, sure does.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

The GT-R was never a pretty car... but they made it look better as time went along.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
The thing to consider here is... Lexus doesn't make driver's cars. So if you want a car that you are going to enjoy driving thru a twisty road... this won't be it. Lexus performance vehicles are like previous-gen AMG vehicles... luxury cars with a powerful engine and a sporty appearance.
Ummm...

Ok... that's not part of Lexus' regular line-up. I'm talking about the rest of their line-up which is conveniently priced at under $350,000.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:27 PM
pavster
Instructor

I had a GS430 fo a few years and that car thoroughly turned me off all things Lexus. Ok, it was reliable, until windshield seals started leaking. Because I made the body and suspension too stiff with all sorts of braces, bushings, coil-overs, and sways. And it still felt like garbage. Basically a couch on wheels. Performance-wise I ran with e46 M3's at AutoX, but the car was just SO DULL TO DRIVE. They literally build slop into the steering column to make it more isolated. The rack had a 1/4 inch play on stock bushings to reduce road feel. Sounds like exactly the team I would hire to build my next sports car
Old 02-09-2016, 06:14 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
Most 997 enthusiasts don't like the look and added turbo of 991, coupling with the fact it is getting too big and GT for hardcore fans. Now Lexus introduced the LF-LC concept a reality with NA V8 engine making 467 hp, if you are in the market for a new car "would you take LC500 over 991.2?"
I recall reading that the car weighs approximately 4500 lbs. My Acura MDX SUV weighs 4500 lbs. If that's really how much it weighs, I wouldn't be interested for that reason alone. One of the best things about my 911 is that it feels so nimble and I don't think a car that weighs 50% more than my 911 is going to feel nimble...

Quick Reply: Lexus LC500 vs 911