Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuses for Front Cooling Fans on 997.1? Any? Where?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:05 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Fuses for Front Cooling Fans on 997.1? Any? Where?

Folks,

After running a Durametric Diagnostics test on my 2006 997.1, I found out that the right side (passenger) front fan is reporting an error. I tried the activation through Durametric and realized that the right front fan is indeed not spinning. It is a little bit difficult to find out as the Durametric runs the fan for a very short little time and by the time you get to the front of the car, it is pretty much finished.

Anyway, before taking everything apart and buying a new fan, I was wondering if there are any fuses to protect these two fans and where they would be located. I could not find anything in the Fuse panel, and on the electrical schematics, the Fans seem to be connected directly to the Fan Control unit, with no obvious sign of Fuses.

Any info would be most welcome.

Yves
Old 01-04-2016, 04:47 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

If you turn on the A/C, the fan will run all of the time when sitting still unless it is too cold outside for the A/C compressor to engage. You can feel the airflow coming out at the vents at the inside front of each wheel well.

When the fan seem to have failed in my prior 997, it became fairly obvious because the fan controller turned on the other fan to full blast anytime it came on. Apparently this is done to compensate for the loss of cooling from the failed fan. The roar from the fan on full speed even when I was sitting still in a cool car is how I realized something was wrong. In my case, the problem was not the fan, it was the fan controller. I gather from my service advisor and other posts over time that a front "fan" failure is more commonly the front fan controller, not the fan itself.

Regrettably, I cannot advise as to how to tell which it is. The dealer took care of mine under CPO and I don't know how they diagnosed it.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

any body/fender work done recently? my (otherwise very meticulous) body shop inadvertently left the passenger fan unplugged when they put the car back together. i was able to plug it back in, only having to remove the forward wheel well liner to do so. it was throwing a code until then but i can't remem which, tho.

so it might be worth a quick shot for you to take out a few liner screws, peek under there, and see if you're still plugged snug.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a single fan controller (located in the passenger side wheel well, behind the plastic liner) that controls both fans. There are no fuses between the controller and the fans, so if one fan works and the other doesn't, the problem is a failed fan.

Check for debris jamming the fan, if nothing found you just need to replace the fan.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:10 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

I took the front bumper apart and checked both fans.

When moving the impeller of the Right Fan, a small pebble came out. It was stuck between the impeller and the fan body.

I started the engine, waited for it to warm up (Switch on A/C) and both fans are working nicely and spinning silently. Very happy!!!!

In the process, I am re-painting the front bumper and adding a third radiator.

Yves
The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (05-29-2022)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:35 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Cool! It appears that Doug's advice on checking for debris rocked! Ha.

One note on Doug's post for others that may come across this thread in the future: In my case the failed fan controller was allowing one fan to come on, although always at full speed, while the other fan never came on at all. So in this scenario it is possible to observe one fan "working" and the other not and still have the problem be a failed controller. I guess the working fan being at full speed is the clue that it is may be a failed controller in this case though. Interestingly the controller would still turn the fan on and off when the a/c was turn on and off, so it was at least partially working.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:45 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
...Check for debris jamming the fan...
+1

I have had this same thing happen before. One fan works at full speed, one does not spin at all. Check non-working fan and small rock had wedged in preventing it from spinning. Remove rock and everything works normally.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

One more happy customer!

My passenger-side fan was sounding like a jet engine!

I finally got time to jack it up, remove the driver-side wheel, take apart some of the plastic covering by the fan and hand-spin the fan blades. There seemed to be just a bit of obstruction. I spun it for a while and it freed up just fine. Buttoned it up and went for a ride and now everything is fine!

Thanks to above folks / Rennlist collective wisdom!
The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (05-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Fuses for Front Cooling Fans on 997.1? Any? Where?