Sponsored by:

PDK lifetime?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 07:38 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1crazy canuck
I think that overtime, repair costs will likely drop from what they are now (replacements of entire transmissions only), as aftermarket entrants try to figure out ways to solve these problems for less than the cost of a new PDK. Just economics, but that horizon could be a long one...Be prepared
They'll have to. Eventually there comes a day when all cars just get too old for an aftermarket warranty. To replace the entire PDK trans from Porsche would be cost prohibitive.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:13 PM
kenza
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Maybe consider an extended warranty to cover the big ticket items such as the engine and PDK. GL and post pics of the p-car you acquire.
Unfortunately there is no extended nor third party warranty down here (insurance business is not as developed as in US).

I will post pics as soon as I get the car. And in order to do so, need to solve this dilemma.
Damn, this red C2S with PDK is so nice
Old 12-19-2015, 08:18 PM
kenza
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
But MTs have failure modes too, and their maintenance costs in the long run, I contend, will be higher (new clutch at 60K miles > PDK service). From another perspective ... Will the PDK be a cloud hanging over your shoulder that diminishes the joy of owning your car? I can't answer that for you. For me, I have grown to trust Porsche engineering. These are amazing cars in all aspects. I have trust. I love everything about my car including the PDK. For me, the answer for your purchase is to go for it! PDK or MT, you're on a fantastic path. Good luck.
For me the new clutch at 60K miles would be a DIY that I would enjoy. Of course, would have to buy the parts.

On the other hand, PDK service includes fluid and filter replacement, right? If there is a double clutch in there, is there a need to replace the clutch discs?

Thanks for your help guys, this forum is amazing!
Old 12-19-2015, 09:54 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PDK'S are repairable, just not by Porsche. Why repair when you can sell a new unit? Im sure there are independents rebuilding the PDK unit already.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:58 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by kenza
For me the new clutch at 60K miles would be a DIY that I would enjoy. Of course, would have to buy the parts.

On the other hand, PDK service includes fluid and filter replacement, right? If there is a double clutch in there, is there a need to replace the clutch discs?

Thanks for your help guys, this forum is amazing!
They are wet clutches and considered good for the life of the car. The every 60K service is an oil replacement with the option of a new pan which then replaces the filter.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:17 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
They are wet clutches and considered good for the life of the car. The every 60K service is an oil replacement with the option of a new pan which then replaces the filter.
Exactly, what is 'lifetime'. Life of the car, tranny, your life? My Range Rover had the same 'Lifteime' sealed tranny. Turns out that there was a spike in tranny deaths on Rovers with over 90k miles. People started flushing the tranny fluids at 50k. Yup....drop in tranny deaths. Lifetime means nothing, its another sealed component that needs a fluid change to clear out the clogged filters and metalic sand.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:35 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Exactly, what is 'lifetime'. Life of the car, tranny, your life? My Range Rover had the same 'Lifteime' sealed tranny. Turns out that there was a spike in tranny deaths on Rovers with over 90k miles. People started flushing the tranny fluids at 50k. Yup....drop in tranny deaths. Lifetime means nothing, its another sealed component that needs a fluid change to clear out the clogged filters and metalic sand.
I was asking myself those same questions as I repeated words of Porsche. But I was also thinking of all the abusive time I've spent on motorcycles and never replaced a wet clutch. Basically, Porsche is saying that the clutches are so good that they will never need replacing from a practical perspective. Changing the PDK fluid changes the wet clutch fluid. FWIW, at 65K miles my PDK fluid looked brand new as did the filter. There was no indication of any stress.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:08 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

I thought the same thing and started hearing about break downs in the RR community. The consensus was to 'F' what LR said and change the fluid and filters around 50K.

When it came to my bikes (MV F4100, RC30, RC51 Africa Twin Vrod) I changed the tranny fluids every 2 years just because its easy and cheap.

Manufacturers likes to sell vehicles, 'lifetime' is a subjective term. Better error on the side of caution. A few pints of fluid, filter and seal is cheap insurance.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:42 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
I changed my PDK trans fluid at 19K miles in a car that was extensively tracked (12-15 track days prior). See pic of car on left.

Car has always performed flawlessly.

My understanding is that there is also a secondary fluid that can be changed on the differential side (mechanics among us please correct me if I am wrong)... I did not change this fluid, as I figured the fluid in the main gears mechanism (equivalent to gear oil in a manual tranny) WAS changed...and this fluid protects the major load bearing internals of the PDK.

I do not believe in 'lifetime fill' anything. It is just hogwash, as anyone with any understanding of mechanical engineering, materials engineering and fluid dynamics understands... parts and fluids under severe load wear, shear and become contaminated with particles, hoses and rubber get old. These things need to be refreshed.
If you only changed 1 fluid, that was the wet clutches oil. The other fluid is transaxle oil which takes care of the gears and diff, like in a manual transaxle.

The factory recommends changing the wet clutches fluid at 6 years or 60k miles and the transaxle oil at 120k miles (time ?). I changed both at 5 years (25k miles).
Old 12-20-2015, 07:14 AM
kenza
Advanced

Originally Posted by ADias
If you only changed 1 fluid, that was the wet clutches oil. The other fluid is transaxle oil which takes care of the gears and diff, like in a manual transaxle. The factory recommends changing the wet clutches fluid at 6 years or 60k miles and the transaxle oil at 120k miles (time ?). I changed both at 5 years (25k miles).
Changing the fluid should be DIY-able?

Is there anything else that must be done (besides oil pan replacement) like programming when the fluids are replaced?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2015, 01:25 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Oil pan replacement is Not Mentioned as part of maintenance. Could be an option? But changing is all it takes
Old 12-20-2015, 01:37 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Oil pan replacement is Not Mentioned as part of maintenance. Could be an option? But changing is all it takes
There is a filter that is a part of the oil pan. It does not need to be changed (mine was pure white still). But the early pans (into 2010) had a drain plug thread issue and it is possible with these cars that the pan will need to be replaced. That's why I got a new pan with my service.

The seal is an integral part of the pan and is a one time use. If you remove the pan you will need to replace it.

Tony is spot on regarding the fluids.

The fill requires putting some oil in, shutting off the cooling line pump, bringing the oil to a certain temperature, and then adding more oil. PIWIS is required to do this. There is a 5 minute window before, I am told, damage will occur. Given the cost of the transmission, I was not willing to DIY this.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kenza
The question is: how long PDKs last
For me they have lasted only as long as the test-drives, and those lasted half the time as the one's I've done in MT's
Old 12-20-2015, 03:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
For me they have lasted only as long as the test-drives, and those lasted half the time as the one's I've done in MT's
I can assure you that they last a lot longer than your experience with them.

Re test drives... PCNA stopped entering manual transmission cars in their Porsche Experience events due to 'testers' destroying clutches. So much for those who think they are skilled manual transmission drivers.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine a 2009 was just replaced a few weeks ago with 24,000 miles luckily I had the Fidelity Warranty. The cost would have been $10,000 since it seems based on Suncoast they have gone down. Also had the water pump replaced and the mirror fixed all for $250.00.

Quick Reply: PDK lifetime?